The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

JeffK

A friend just picked up an RZ67 and is shooting some film. That got me thinking about using a macro setup instead of a flatbed scanner. Before I knew it, the pieces were all in place. (Surprisingly, I had a light table squirreled away somewhere). So to test it out, here are two shots titled 6:00 AM and 6:05 AM

Leica S3, S120/2.5 (by itself, so 1:2 magnification). Gitzo 5 with leveling base, Novoflex clamp, Hejnar rail and Macro rail.

Matt
that little dial on the macro rail looks very cool.

dj may

A friend just picked up an RZ67 and is shooting some film. That got me thinking about using a macro setup instead of a flatbed scanner. Before I knew it, the pieces were all in place. (Surprisingly, I had a light table squirreled away somewhere). So to test it out, here are two shots titled 6:00 AM and 6:05 AM

Leica S3, S120/2.5 (by itself, so 1:2 magnification). Gitzo 5 with leveling base, Novoflex clamp, Hejnar rail and Macro rail.

Matt
What are you using to connect the two rails?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What are you using to connect the two rails?
The horizontal rail is actually a long lens support (which I needed anyway). The "tiny" clamp at the end that normally holds the Y-shaped support piece is strong enough for this. Well, Hejnar said it "might" be strong enough, but advised against it. Under the panorama section, he has a corner support piece that holds a bracket REALLY firmly against the end of a rail, so I'll be using that when it arrives. (VR8-625). If I didn't love overkill, I'd be using the Fuji X for everything. :LOL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Two additions: This is 1:1 using the S 120/2.5 + R 100/2.8 Elpro and the Macro rail is being held by the Hejnar heavy duty vertical rail. And when Hejnar bothers to say "heavy duty", think Mjölnir.

Pussywillow, 17 captures, spaced 1/4 mm apart. Leaving the boundary fuzzy is deliberate - or lazy - I'm never sure.

Matt

BTW, if this setup looks similar to @jng's, it's because I'm copying his 😇

Last edited:

dchew

On our last day together in Colorado, we found a lovely road near Mount Wilson that just kept going and going. We left the second half of the road for another year's investigation. It had one spot with a thick grove of aspens. This is the same location from which @jng and @diggles posted images. Both of these images have ~15mm lens rise with the Rodi 138f. As usual, it took a while to wait for the right combination of cloud cover and wind breaks. The woods were incredibly dense; there were almost no sky holes to touch up.

I was the last one to duck in the car as it started to rain.

Here is the ominous sky just before we headed down.

Dave

Last edited:

jng

On our last day together in Colorado, we found a lovely road near Mount Wilson that just kept going and going. We left the second half of the road for another year's investigation. It had one spot with a thick grove of aspens. This is the same location from which @jng and @diggles posted images. Both of these images have ~15mm lens rise. As usual, it took a while to wait for the right combination of cloud cover and wind breaks. The woods were incredibly dense; there were almost no sky holes to touch up.

I was the last one to duck in the car as it started to rain.

Here is the ominous sky just before we headed down.

Dave
Gorgeous images! I guess I should have been paying closer attention to why you guys were seemingly stuck in that grove...

John

jng

Here's a behind the scenes shot (courtesy @diggles) of yours truly in the grove of aspens that @dchew described above. My resulting image can be found here.

I was pretty pooped by the time I arrived at this spot. Noticing a log some 6-7 ft behind my tripod (and also congratulating myself for packing the longer of my two USB-C tethering cables), I decided to have a seat. It may appear that I was checking emails but in reality I was clicking the shutter via my MacBook as I watched the changing afternoon light dance across the trees.

-John

IMG_1123_small.jpg
Photo credit: @diggles

Greg Haag

My goodness, I hate to post behind the spectacular Aspen images from Dave and John! We made a spur of the moment trip to the beach because the weather/temps were so nice. Our routine is to hit the beach about an hour before sunset and then stay and watch the stars come out. This was the various stages of light from last night. I take a camera almost every time I go to the beach, sometimes my GFX and sometimes my technical camera, the interesting thing to me is when I take my technical camera how many people come up wanting to ask questions about it.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32
beach sunset bts-1.jpgbeach sunset-1.jpgbeach sunset-2.jpgbeach sunset-3.jpg

vjbelle

Hi Greg.... good to see you are having a good time. I really like your last image as I have begun to more appreciate the movement of waves with just a little bit of smoothing. I am going to start to practice more with shorter time frames.....

No matter what all images look great.....(y)

Victor B.

Greg Haag

Hi Greg.... good to see you are having a good time. I really like your last image as I have begun to more appreciate the movement of waves with just a little bit of smoothing. I am going to start to practice more with shorter time frames.....

No matter what all images look great.....(y)

Victor B.
Thank you, Victor! I am shooting a lot of waves while I am recovering from a knee injury, it’s about as far as I can walk at the moment with my backpack.