The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BEWARE-Gremlins are no longer lurking with new body-BH body was the problem

algrove

See my rant over on "got my 100s today"

Basically received a 100S and it was setup in Japanese. Got it to English with Fuji help, but then while on with B&H tried the reset to see if all ok and it reverts back to Japanese. Had to send it back at Fuji and B&H suggestions.

Second body from another dealer is great!

Last edited:

algrove

So today I received another 100S from a "respected" dealer and it is night and day from the crappy one BH had the guts to sent me in May. I am about done with them plus they just let me know I will now pay taxes on all their products. There are plenty of dealers selling w/o tax and free shipping. It is just the 30 day return that I must duplicate somewhere.

Paul2660

Use their pay boo card. No tax. Only downside is 29 percent interest if balance not paid off in 23 days.

As for sales tax, it’s not them causing it, but your local state legislature passing a law on sales tax for internet sales. Happen to my state last year.

B&H has o my one issue for me, their shipping. Most products are now just placed in a box with very poor packing usually a group of air bags which pop during shipping. They are totally relying on the manufacturers packing to protect the products.

Paul

Shashin

On two occasions, the new filters I ordered from B&H were actually used--both were damaged and had cleaning marks.

As far as tax, I am not bothered by that. I don't mind funding public services. AS Paul point out, that is a state law. Online shopping has had huge consequences for state and local economies.

algrove

On two occasions, the new filters I ordered from B&H were actually used--both were damaged and had cleaning marks.

As far as tax, I am not bothered by that. I don't mind funding public services. AS Paul point out, that is a state law. Online shopping has had huge consequences for state and local economies.
My local economy has no brick and motor camera stores so online buying does not affect my county, but does impact the state.

So do I understand that the BH card must be used to benefit for the no tax factor when using it, but the balance of the charges are paid through the BH CC?

cerett

Use their pay boo card. No tax. Only downside is 29 percent interest if balance not paid off in 23 days.

As for sales tax, it’s not them causing it, but your local state legislature passing a law on sales tax for internet sales. Happen to my state last year.

B&H has o my one issue for me, their shipping. Most products are now just placed in a box with very poor packing usually a group of air bags which pop during shipping. They are totally relying on the manufacturers packing to protect the products.

Paul
Very interesting observation. I have also noticed this reliance on manufacturers packing on all products, including very expensive ones (GFX100s). Nothing has arrived damaged thus far.

It is against the law not to charge sale tax. If a dealer is doing this, they are actually paying the tax for you. I use the PayBoo credit card at B&H to great advantage. That takes care of the sales tax.

I have been a customer of B&H for well over 20 years and have found their customer service to be extraordinary.

algrove

I also have been a long term customer of BH, but no longer after they sent me a previously messed with 100S. They can keep their inferior merchandise they insist on sending good customers many of whom send back inferior products, but I guess they hope many will be stuck with them for many reasons.

Here's the real rub. I asked Fuji Service what happens to defective Fuji product sent back to dealers by customers. He said it is no sweat to the dealer as they get immediate credit from Fuji for defective items sent back. So does mean that BH has become lazy about this to the determent to their good customers?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I always used to assume that, when I get something used sold as new, that it is the final vendor's fault. But why must that be the case? Perhaps Fuji is checking returned cameras, deciding they're in spec, and sending them back out. B&H has no more or less profit motive or reputation to maintain than Fuji does.

When I got 3 out of 4 badly decentered Sony lenses, I assumed it was Sony's lack of QC. It's certainly cheaper for them to just ship everything and know that many people won't notice.

algrove

Well the Fuji service reps I talked to said they are appalled at me getting a well used camera setup in a foreign language and where the box felt like I was not the first or second to open it. Must I say the battery was not wrapped as normal, the body cap was oneupside down, the menu system was in Japanese and set in strange ways, etc, etc. So why is that Fujis fault?

"Perhaps Fuji is checking returned cameras, deciding they're in spec, and sending them back out." What a bunch of BS!!

So from another dealer I now have a "new" 100S where the bottons feel firm and unused and all else is new and everything wrapped totally different inside the box from the BH camera. So now I know I was sent a previously used or demos camera by BH.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Very interesting observation. I have also noticed this reliance on manufacturers packing on all products, including very expensive ones (GFX100s). Nothing has arrived damaged thus far.

It is against the law not to charge sale tax. If a dealer is doing this, they are actually paying the tax for you. I use the PayBoo credit card at B&H to great advantage. That takes care of the sales tax.

I have been a customer of B&H for well over 20 years and have found their customer service to be extraordinary.
The issue is charging sales tax for internet orders. In the past was only required for the customer if they lived in the same state or if the business had representation in all 50 states like IBM or Apple. Gradually most states have passed laws requiring sales tax to be collected for internet sales outside their boundaries. But not all 50 states have this requirement in place.

B&H is paying the sales tax as pointed out which IMO is a gamble they are making assuming most people won’t pay off the card in 23 days. The interest is 29 percent last rime I checked. However the fact that they can pay 950.00 on a 10K item (my states tax rate) and still make a profit gives you an idea of the margins involved with this type of equipment. They are quite large.

Paul

vjbelle

I always use the Pay Boo card for B&H purchases and have saved lots of money..... and always pay off the balance in full by the due date. I have also received dubius 'New' Fuji cameras from B&H and although they could always be returned it sure left a bad taste for me. I don't blame this on B&H but rather Fuji. B&H has to rely on the manufacturer as they could never have the time to open and inspect each piece of gear that goes out the door.

I don't know what kind of profit is made on this stuff but it's certainly more than 10%.

Victor B.

algrove

I always use the Pay Boo card for B&H purchases and have saved lots of money..... and always pay off the balance in full by the due date. I have also received dubius 'New' Fuji cameras from B&H and although they could always be returned it sure left a bad taste for me. I don't blame this on B&H but rather Fuji. B&H has to rely on the manufacturer as they could never have the time to open and inspect each piece of gear that goes out the door.

I don't know what kind of profit is made on this stuff but it's certainly more than 10%.

Victor B.
Victor
In my case the camera was used or demoed by BH and they knew it when issuing me the RMA. As for the Payboo card it curtails me using my preferred card which gives me free air travel which adds up rapidly with camera gear purchases.

Godfrey

I haven't bought much of substance from B&H in some time, just small things. I don't bother with payboo; I just pay the sales tax as is required by law now. I have to pay it with Amazon, Ebay, and all the other larger merchandisers now anyway.

Whether B&H is messing up on their product and services, well, that's another issue entirely. I can well believe it: the last couple of things I ordered from them were atrociously poorly packaged. Amazon.com does a better job and sells most of the stuff I need to buy now anyway, delivers fast and at low to no shipping fees. Not that I am trying to promote their business, mind you. ;)

G

stngoldberg

I buy from both B & H and Adorama which ever has stock in the item I need when I need it.
I believe that when you buy photo equipment from Amazon it is shipped from Adorama; I don’t think B &H purposely attempt to deceive customers by selling used stuff
Actually I think B & H through their return policy gives the customers every opportunity to avoid being taken advantage of.
They allow a customer 30 days to try equipment and return it if they are not satisfied regardless of the cost.
‘That policy seems to me to be a definition of integrity
Stanley

algrove

I have always been happy with BH until they sent me that used/demoed $6k camera. Many others have told me they have had bad experiences with them sadly on multiple occasions. Me just once. It has given me great pause. As far packing I remember they once sent me a lens for the Pentax 645Z whose box was crushed so badly the lens cap was damaged, but this was like 7-8 years ago. Most items come without damage. Agree their return policy is about the best.

I just remember when Fuji said send it back the customer service guy was very forthcoming in commenting on the fact that it had already been returned. So that tells me they know how many times a certain piece of gear has been purchased and returned.

ron787

I've been a 40 or more year B&H customer, and have recently begun to search for alternative suppliers. In the past, their tax-free sales and available overnight shipping had been advantageous, but since both are no longer a reality—yes, it is understood that they are not responsible for the sales tax change, and that they offer their own credit card which I do not desire—the attraction has dissipated. And I agree, that their haphazard packaging—an issue that had never been apparent in the past, and which they will undoubtedly falsely attribute to COVID—leaves much to be desired. It's time to shop elsewhere.