The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blends

Terry

I can't even believe that I hadn't looked at this thread before. I'm blown away by the creativity. WOW!

Hopefully I can hone my skills and add something here.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Mike, I have to say your galleries are just beautiful. My favorites may be the Prague and Vineyard galleries but I find them all wonderful--and I'll revisit them many times.

Diane
Thank you Diane. Your shot of the car is great and you did a very nice job with the texture. Just the right amount.
Here's another one of mine from Prague.

Mike
http://www.regnierstudio.com

ustein

Contributing Editor
>mine from Prague.

When I lived in Germany I never got to Prague, My bad. Pague has already a texture by itself and you use and enhance it masterfully.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
>mine from Prague.

When I lived in Germany I never got to Prague, My bad. Pague has already a texture by itself and you use and enhance it masterfully.
Thank you Uwe. Prague is a special place. My wife is from Prague and we actually live there part of the year, her more than me, but eventually we will be there full time. I have so many photos of Prague, I could probably spend the next couple of years in front of the computer doing nothing but that.
Here are a couple of shots from my vineyard work, which is another one of my favorite subjects.

Mike
http://www.regnierstudio.com

m3photo

When it goes wrong; or right

Michael - let me know when it goes wrong
Well, now that you mention it ...
Only kidding.
Funny though, the moment I saw your Post Office image (#72) it reminded me of one of Hockney's California highway Polaroid collages - the "Stop" sign and the vivid colours. THEN in the next one I see lots of squares forming an image!

Another of yesterday's New Year walk on the beach:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This one is not subtle - but the original images were more abstract than real.

"Steps, doors and windows - Tucson"

Keith

JBurnett

Wow. Creative image after creative image. The following was inspired by my 35-year-old "slide meld".

ustein

Contributing Editor
Mike your Vineyard series inspired me to use our Vineyard shots (makes sense now :))

ustein

Contributing Editor
Mike,

"Sun burning through the Fod" is a stellar image.

Uwe

We don't live in the wine country (South of San Jose). Still a lot of wine here.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Beautiful series Mike - the wine land images are my favorites.

Here is another one from Tucson

"House with Three Doors"

Keith

Diane B

I love all of the vineyard images I've seen here--both Uwe and Mike. Our state is a relatively 'new' wine state (altho' its considered the oldest in the US--but died during prohibition) and our vineyards are not as large and don't have those dramatic lifts and falls and backgrounds (our major appellation extends from fairly high elevation down to the Piedmont but along a river valley). Nonetheless, I've shot in a lot of them and while driving a bit ago was thinking back to my old shots over the years. I esp. like the winter periods when the leaves are gone and only the structure of the vines remains (much as I prefer our mountains with the foliage gone and the 'bones' remaining). I need to revisist those and consider some early winter morning shooting.

I think this thread has gotten a number of us thinking differently about our shooting--and our processing.

Diane

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think this thread has gotten a number of us thinking differently about our shooting--and our processing.

Diane
That is true.One of our major issues here in California is that we have most often boring blue skies (good for the soul but not good for photography). On hte other side oak trees look great against the sky to show their beautiful shapes. Blending is a great tool to present the essence of these scenes.

Uwe

PS: By the way I also stated our blending with an Olympus in camera blending and felt that blending in Photoshop gives us so much more control.

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
That is true.One of our major issues here in California is that we have most often boring blue skies (good for the soul but not good for photography). On hte other side oak trees look great against the sky to show their beautiful shapes. Blending is a great tool to present the essence of these scenes.

Uwe

PS: By the way I also stated our blending with an Olympus in camera blending and felt that blending in Photoshop gives us so much more control.
I know what you mean about the blue skies Uwe. When I was shooting vineyards that had a blue sky, I would shoot it anyway and then back in the studio look through all my sky images and find one to blend with the vineyard. When I was shooting the vineyards, the client couldn't afford for me to stay for days just because the weather wasn't as dramatic, so I learned to work around it. The main thing was to have a good shot to work with and to try and create the mood later.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I know what you mean about the blue skies Uwe. When I was shooting vineyards that had a blue sky, I would shoot it anyway and then back in the studio look through all my sky images and find one to blend with the vineyard. When I was shooting the vineyards, the client couldn't afford for me to stay for days just because the weather wasn't as dramatic, so I learned to work around it. The main thing was to have a good shot to work with and to try and create the mood later.

Mike
Couldn't agree more about blue skies, and this thread has taught me how to deal with it.
I posted this one in another thread. The original has a vivid blue sky which detracted from the building. A blend of two processings on the same image.

Keith

Keith