The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BMPCC 4K vs. the others

iiiNelson

Interesting comparison, and the BMPCC 4K impresses. The low price makes it even more tempting, particularly for those of us who use m4/3 gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2025&v=8aG3geC2pg0

The test is a bit flawed in some areas, but it gives a pretty good indication of the differences.
My cousin bought his back in October/November and has used it quite a bit for paid work. Best of all it comes with a Davinci Resolve Studio license which is another $300 value. His main complaints are the battery life (which is all over the place between 18-45 minutes run time according to him based on the codec selected and ambient temperature), there's no continuous autofocus ability for unmanned operation, the screen is hard/impossible to see outdoors in bright sunlight without some sort of hood, and the screen doesn't articulate in any way (which he knew before purchasing). Other than that he has absolutely no complaints if a person wants a capable cinema style camera for the cheap.

I'll see if he has any footage online that he's able to share next time I speak with him but there's a lot of Youtube now.

gnuyork

My cousin bought his back in October/November and has used it quite a bit for paid work. Best of all it comes with a Davinci Resolve Studio license which is another $300 value. His main complaints are the battery life (which is all over the place between 18-45 minutes run time according to him based on the codec selected and ambient temperature), there's no continuous autofocus ability for unmanned operation, the screen is hard/impossible to see outdoors in bright sunlight without some sort of hood, and the screen doesn't articulate in any way (which he knew before purchasing). Other than that he has absolutely no complaints if a person wants a capable cinema style camera for the cheap.

I'll see if he has any footage online that he's able to share next time I speak with him but there's a lot of Youtube now.

Yes the full version of Resolve is a huge bonus. As far as battery I have heard this too. I ended up ordering a external battery system that mounts underneath on the tripod mount. Also, I'm waiting for the new Titla cage to become available...it has a solution for a hood and the Samsung T5 SSD mount (which is another negative - the cost of CFast cards). I hope with cage, external battery, and the T5 setup it's not too heavy for the Ronin S. We'll see. My camera should be arriving mid Feb according to the seller.