The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BMPCC 4k

Don Libby

Guess I'll be visiting this area a little more often now. Picked up the 4k along with an Olympus 12-100. Never had/used Olympus lens before and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why I wasn't able to setup AF. All is okay now...

iiiNelson

Guess I'll be visiting this area a little more often now. Picked up the 4k along with an Olympus 12-100. Never had/used Olympus lens before and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out why I wasn't able to setup AF. All is okay now...
How do you like your BMPCC4K so far? I’ve been looking at this camera and a couple of options from ZCam as well. I use Davinci Resolve already so the workflow would be more organic but there’s a lot that I like about the ZCam like larger sensor options, better battery life using widely available Sony NPF L-Mount batteries that are commonly used with video equipment from lights to cameras, the (subjectively) improved cube form factor, and the ability to get a wide amount of sensor sized cameras in the same range from M43 to FF with user swappable mounts.

I think with ZCam I’d be forced to use their software before hiring a NLE and there seems to be areas where they’re rough around the edges in workflow. That’s my biggest hesitation with them.

Don Libby

I've now had the 4k since last Thursday and still getting used to it however I like it. I also picked up the 7" video assist monitor from BM thinking it was going to do more than it does. The monitor itself is good - I had thought that I was going to be able to control the camera remotely something I found I can't. All isn't lost..

I spend some quality time with BM support and found answers to my questions. The biggest is that I can have full control of the camera remotely using either my Android or IPad. The proof will be once I get the Holland Mars 400 so that I can set this up remotely.

I had first considered the Mini Pocket which looks similar to the ZCam however I ended up with the BMPCC 4k and frankly I'm glad I did. This looks the furthest from any video camera I've seen even decked out with the Tilta cage. I'm also using a Samsung T5 along with a CFast card for storage and an external battery for power (still waiting for the batteries to arrive).

Software wise I'm trying out Davinci which seems similar to Adobe Premier Pro. I'll spend some time with Davinci and see which I like more.

This entire project is a result of a hair brain idea I had about shooting wildlife remotely for video and maybe doing a frame grab for print. (Check out the Sanity Check thread in the medium format section).

It currently looks like I'm on the right path. No buyers remorse on the 4k

Don

Don Libby

And to add another thought or 2...

My original thought was having the camera out 300-500 feet broadcast the images to the monitor and control the focus etc from the monitor while saving to the camera. Sadly that isn't how this works (unless I wanted to spend a ton more money). The monitor has no control over the camera however you can record on it. The downside to that is the files will have been sent wirelessly and I'm concerned about quality.

The good news is the availability of an app for my Android phone and an iPad. Both offer full camera controls. I've tried it out on the phone and like it and will be trying it on an Ipad Air later this week. The connection is Bluetooth which should have the range the same as I'll be shooting at. I'll be using the monitor to see what the camera sees and can control focus etc. The camera will be set on a wireless remote pan and tilt.

Sounds complicated but also a lot of fun....:facesmack:

iiiNelson

I've now had the 4k since last Thursday and still getting used to it however I like it. I also picked up the 7" video assist monitor from BM thinking it was going to do more than it does. The monitor itself is good - I had thought that I was going to be able to control the camera remotely something I found I can't. All isn't lost..

I spend some quality time with BM support and found answers to my questions. The biggest is that I can have full control of the camera remotely using either my Android or IPad. The proof will be once I get the Holland Mars 400 so that I can set this up remotely.

I had first considered the Mini Pocket which looks similar to the ZCam however I ended up with the BMPCC 4k and frankly I'm glad I did. This looks the furthest from any video camera I've seen even decked out with the Tilta cage. I'm also using a Samsung T5 along with a CFast card for storage and an external battery for power (still waiting for the batteries to arrive).

Software wise I'm trying out Davinci which seems similar to Adobe Premier Pro. I'll spend some time with Davinci and see which I like more.

This entire project is a result of a hair brain idea I had about shooting wildlife remotely for video and maybe doing a frame grab for print. (Check out the Sanity Check thread in the medium format section).

It currently looks like I'm on the right path. No buyers remorse on the 4k

Don
I really like Davinci Resolve. It’s something of a middle balance between Premiere and FCPX IMO in how it operates but I feel it’s better than both in many ways. The biggest advantage is being able to do EVERYTHING in one program without needing to round trip or use additional plugins for effects, color, sound, etc.

There’s a guy on YouTube named Casey Faris that has a channel centered mostly around Davinci Resolve tutorials and I found them to be really helpful and informative without the making the videos needlessly long. Some of them are long (like his crash course) but it’s a good starting point to see/learn what most people largely want to do in the program. He also explains the Node system (and other tricks/tipis) in very clear detail without being over the top so I recommend that as a resource to check out.