The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boulder Colorado

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Any sweet spots or suggestions for the day after a snowfall?
-bob

In town? Flatirons or Sanitas.
Out of town? Rocky Mountain National Park.

I've always wanted a picture of the snow covered Flatirons bathed in pink pre-sunrise light with the full moon setting behind.

heninden

A drive up the canyon through Nederland and north a bit past Ward there is a turn-off to Branaird Lake. The road may be closed but it's a great place for snow-shoeing and such. The Indian Peaks are to the west.

Terry

Wow Bob, these are beautiful. Did you just take them today. I should give my sister a buzz and see if she is cold. She lives right near there....I was sitting out in the sun for lunch today in SF.....:D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Terry,
It was a lovely day just as the storm was clearing.
The little thermometer on my camera bag read four degrees which was quite a drop from the 60+ degrees we had two days before.
I took the shots on Thursday morning December 4. I do not recommend hiking in the dark on fresh snow and ice without boots especially when you don't know where you are going and you have improvised cold weather gear. Coming down from the trail, I was chastised by a couple of cross country skiers for not wearing a hat :)
-bob

woodyspedden

Bob

As you know I am from Fort Collins, just 35 miles up the road from Boulder.

I was visiting my 91 year old Mom for the Thanksgiving holidays and returned on Tuesday when the airport temp was 69 degrees........In December for heavens sake!

Two days later I was shooting snow scenes like yours in temps that were pretty dismal to say the least.

But this is Colorado. Yesterday was 60, today 40, and expected highs on the weekend 4! That will be special

Best

woody

Howard

On a trip to visit my son in Fort Collins, we visited Deer Lake (elevation 9,800') at Rocky Mountain Park (RMP) about 4 weeks ago on a day that was in the 50's. The lake was partially icy and the trail around the lake where the sun didn't hit it was icy. I plan on visiting RMP in the Summer-- being from LA I do not have any Winter gear. Please note that my colors are not off as these photos were shot with my Canon G9 converted to ir. Photos #2 and Photo #3 are the same photo, in color and B&W.

Last edited:
E

eastcolo

Those shots are beautiful. I am on the plains of Colorado, but lived in Fort Collins for 5 years. Rocky Mountain NP is on my list of places to go and shoot...Hanging Lake by Glenwood Springs is up there too. How far of a hike is to get to Deer Lake?