The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus G with Rodenstock 55mm f/4.5 APO Sironar Digital and Nikon Z. Very soft edges...??

stevev

Claude,

Are you happy with the Mamiya? Do you shoot anything else in a comparable focal length and how does it compare?

Cheers,
Steve.

Happyconch

Steve,

Thanks for following up.
I received 3 Mamiya RZ67 lenses: 50mm ULD f4.5, 110mm f2.8, and 180mm f4.5.
I've not been able to control the aperture on the 110mm, even using a mechanical release as indicated by Cambo. Vincent's tip worked with the 50mm and the 180mm.
Once set up, these two lenses gave me a very nice shift and tilt latitude using the GFX 100s.
Regarding resolution, I've been spoiled by Fuji, and I've not been blown away, but that is not what I was looking for. I found back the pleasure I had controlling my images using my Sinar 4x5 in the days. So that was all very positive and fun. Minus the setup shenanigans and the cost ($2700 for the 3 lenses).
I have returned these 3 lenses.

I also bought a Pentax 645 lensplate and 3 Pentax 645 A lenses: 35mm f 3.5, 55mm f2.8, 75mm f2.8. Lighter and cheaper lenses ($900 for the 3 lenses).
The Cambo lensplate provides a nice contraption to control their aperture ring. Very straightforward.
The 35mm gives me at least 7mm of clean shift. It is softer than the Mamiya 50mm though.
I will keep these 3 lenses, for now, just to keep experimenting and learning.

I also rented an Actar 120mm. This lens is definitely soft, but it's nice to have it mounted, light, and practical. I'm probably going to rent and test the 19mm and the 105mm in the Actar series, which are exceptional lenses.

Not sure I answered your questions precisely enough, sorry.

Claude

rdeloe

Steve,

Thanks for following up.
I received 3 Mamiya RZ67 lenses: 50mm ULD f4.5, 110mm f2.8, and 180mm f4.5.
I've not been able to control the aperture on the 110mm, even using a mechanical release as indicated by Cambo. Vincent's tip worked with the 50mm and the 180mm.
Once set up, these two lenses gave me a very nice shift and tilt latitude using the GFX 100s.
Regarding resolution, I've been spoiled by Fuji, and I've not been blown away, but that is not what I was looking for. I found back the pleasure I had controlling my images using my Sinar 4x5 in the days. So that was all very positive and fun. Minus the setup shenanigans and the cost ($2700 for the 3 lenses).
I have returned these 3 lenses.

I also bought a Pentax 645 lensplate and 3 Pentax 645 A lenses: 35mm f 3.5, 55mm f2.8, 75mm f2.8. Lighter and cheaper lenses ($900 for the 3 lenses).
The Cambo lensplate provides a nice contraption to control their aperture ring. Very straightforward.
The 35mm gives me at least 7mm of clean shift. It is softer than the Mamiya 50mm though.
I will keep these 3 lenses, for now, just to keep experimenting and learning.

I also rented an Actar 120mm. This lens is definitely soft, but it's nice to have it mounted, light, and practical. I'm probably going to rent and test the 19mm and the 105mm in the Actar series, which are exceptional lenses.

Not sure I answered your questions precisely enough, sorry.

Claude
Claude, I've used all three Pentax 645 lenses you have on a GFX 50R. The 35/3.5 is a mainstay on my outfit. My copy is very sharp, although shift beyond 9mm is problematic in the corners. I didn't keep the 55/2.8 because it is was not a good performer away from the centre. The 75/2.8 is a very good lens and should perform well on your camera once you stop down a bit. It looks like you skipped the 45/2.8, which is a good decision because it is almost universally considered weak. Other P645 lenses that are good performers are the humble 150/3.5 and, believe it or not, the 45-85/4.5 zoom. The zoom is especially interesting because the image circle is quite tight to the format at 45mm, but expands noticeably in the middle of the zoom range. The long end is a bit weaker, but at 75mm the zoom is about as good as the 75/2.8. Unfortunately, the zoom is large and heavy, which on my Toyo put a bit too much downward pressure on the front standard (causing a slight amount of tilt). If you try one of these, I recommend the FA version -- same optics as the A version, but the front element does not rotate (which I find a pain when I use CPLs).

There are also many superb technical camera lenses that can be economical. The Schneider Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 90/4.5 is superb; I use the version in the industrial mount.

Rob

Happyconch

Claude, I've used all three Pentax 645 lenses you have on a GFX 50R. The 35/3.5 is a mainstay on my outfit. My copy is very sharp, although shift beyond 9mm is problematic in the corners. I didn't keep the 55/2.8 because it is was not a good performer away from the centre. The 75/2.8 is a very good lens and should perform well on your camera once you stop down a bit. It looks like you skipped the 45/2.8, which is a good decision because it is almost universally considered weak. Other P645 lenses that are good performers are the humble 150/3.5 and, believe it or not, the 45-85/4.5 zoom. The zoom is especially interesting because the image circle is quite tight to the format at 45mm, but expands noticeably in the middle of the zoom range. The long end is a bit weaker, but at 75mm the zoom is about as good as the 75/2.8. Unfortunately, the zoom is large and heavy, which on my Toyo put a bit too much downward pressure on the front standard (causing a slight amount of tilt). If you try one of these, I recommend the FA version -- same optics as the A version, but the front element does not rotate (which I find a pain when I use CPLs).

There are also many superb technical camera lenses that can be economical. The Schneider Kreuznach Apo-Componon HM 90/4.5 is superb; I use the version in the industrial mount.

Rob
Rob,

I picked the Pentax 645 lenses per the user's ratings from the pentaxforums, which I found really useful. Given your level of expertise, I'm glad we concur on the choice of lenses and I take note of the 150mm f3.5.
Regarding the enlarger lenses, I would not be able to dismount the lens and re-mount on a Copal lensboard from Actus. Way above my skill set...
I remember you mentioned somewhere a technical shop in Vegas (I think it was a Mamiya shop though). I could try to find a similar place to do the mounting. I see excellent examples of that lens around $700.
Thanks for taking the time to guide my choices.

Claude

rdeloe

Rob,

I picked the Pentax 645 lenses per the user's ratings from the pentaxforums, which I found really useful. Given your level of expertise, I'm glad we concur on the choice of lenses and I take note of the 150mm f3.5.
Regarding the enlarger lenses, I would not be able to dismount the lens and re-mount on a Copal lensboard from Actus. Way above my skill set...
I remember you mentioned somewhere a technical shop in Vegas (I think it was a Mamiya shop though). I could try to find a similar place to do the mounting. I see excellent examples of that lens around $700.
Thanks for taking the time to guide my choices.

Claude
Claude, enlarger and enlarger cousin lenses are very easy to use and in most cases, no extra work is needed.

There's a Cambo board for enlarger lenses that use the 39mm x 1/26" thread -- Cambo ACB-39. Sometimes it's called "Leica thread" or "LTM" for "Leica Thread Mount". Cambo describes it as M39, which is misleading because it's not metric thread. Anyway, that works for lenses like the Componon-S 80/4 and some versions of the Componon-S 100/5.6. You have to do your homework because most of Schneider's lenses came in all kinds of versions with different mounts. This table shows a few. You can simply screw the lens that has that thread right into the Cambo board.

Cambo also sells boards for Copal 0 and Copal 1, which is handy because you can convert or adapt some other threads for these. For example, you can buy an inexpensive adapter to convert Copal 0 thread (M32.5x0.5) to 39mm x 1/26th Leica thread. I have an Apo-Digitar 80/4 in the BK iris mount that I used by screwing into into a lens board for my camera that had the "Leica" thread. The other twist is that a Copal 1 hole is large enough to easily fit enlarger lenses with M42x0.75 thread, such as the Componon-S 135/5.6 and the 150/5.6 (new versions). Those you can drop through a Copal 1 hole and then lock to the board with a locking ring. Another inexpensive option is to have a machinist cut and thread the exact hole you need in a Cambo board that has a smaller hole (but it's probably cheaper and easier to use adapters). RAF Camera in Russia does excellent work, including custom. And Jose from Custom Photo Tools in Portugal also does nice custom work for not a lot of money.

A less obvious path is to use industrial versions of the Schneider lenses. These use the V38 industrial mount, for which adapters from Schneider, and from third parties, including RAF Camera, exist. In Makro-Iris mounts, I'm currently using the Apo-Componon 60/4 (superb, but only 60mm image circle), Apo-Componon 90/4.5 Type -0024 (just outstanding, even from wide open), and the Makro-Symmar 120/5.9 (one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used -- but only good beyond 2m starting at f/11). These are all extremely small, and all metal (which I like).

The "Vegas" lens you are thinking about is my Mamiya G 50mm f/4. It is simply outstanding -- easily right up there with the Fuji GF 50/3.5. However, it does need to be locked open by someone who can service Mamiya (like the fellow in Vegas), and then you have to make a replacement mount. I'm no machinist and I was able to build a mount, but it is a bit of a project. A decent professional machinist would have no trouble making whatever mount you needed.

Componon-S.jpg

Happyconch

Rob, Thanks for these explanations. They are thorough and clarify a lot. I will use this to organize my research.
Per your earlier recommendation, I just bought the Pentax 645 150mm f3.5. $160 at KEH. I dislike KEH very much but the price and condition were right.
I'm going to experiment with these Pentax lenses and start to track the lenses that you mentioned, then use your table and explanations to identify the right lensboard fit. Then probably go through the Russian tech shop.
Sounds like fun!

Thanks

Claude

rdeloe

Rob, Thanks for these explanations. They are thorough and clarify a lot. I will use this to organize my research.
Per your earlier recommendation, I just bought the Pentax 645 150mm f3.5. $160 at KEH. I dislike KEH very much but the price and condition were right.
I'm going to experiment with these Pentax lenses and start to track the lenses that you mentioned, then use your table and explanations to identify the right lensboard fit. Then probably go through the Russian tech shop.
Sounds like fun!

Thanks

Claude
Oh no, I'm spending your money! ;) I'm a fan of Pentax lenses so I think you'll be fine with these.

A couple other small tips if I may:
  • The Cambo Pentax adapter has a nice feature that lets you control the aperture of the more modern Pentax 645 lenses that do not have an aperture ring. I have never used the new 55/2.8, but it does seem to be really good and you could use it with your Cambo plate.
  • Another option is the Pentax 67 55mm f/4 (3rd version). I have used this lens and it is excellent. It has a huge image circle too. You do not need a new Cambo part to use it. Rather, buy yourself one of the Pentax 67 to 645 adapters. They're extremely solid and well made, and will convert the mount.
Enjoy your new kit.
Rob

Hemmi

I also rented an Actar 120mm. This lens is definitely soft
Hello, could you please tell more about your experience with Actar 120 ? Was it soft at infinity, or it was soft at close ranges as well ? Cambo says it's adapted for 1:1-1:10 range and it's of the same quality as Schneider Apo Digitrar 120M.

I will be able to test Actar 90 and 120 soon, but I don't have Schneider Apo Digitar 120M to compare it with Actar 120. So I wonder if Actar 120 is worth buying at all, or it's better to get a Schneider Digitar 120M which is known to perform well.

Thank you.

Happyconch

Thinking of it, "definitely" is a bit overstated.
I received the Actar-120 in the middle of many other lenses and I had a limited time to try them all.
Part of the learning curve was the Actus-G itself.
I first tested the Actua-120, and I was expecting to be blown away (as I said), and I found the first results okay. The resolution was not different from what I'm used to getting with say, the GF 50mm.
In any case, I have attached the very first picture I took (f/11, pano of 3). I was fiddling with the tilt, and I didn't get it right, but you can see the resolution at the point of focus.
Just test junk, but it might help you to get your own perspective on the Actar-120.

Export- - 1.jpeg