The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo rail to Arca adapter?

I was looking at my cambo cameras rail and it is slightly narrower than Arca but has the same shape more or less.

So I’m wondering if anyone has ever built a direct adapter... or an arca clamp that goes tighter than arca width....

Im asking because id like to save some weight and height compared to the default cambo clamps (plus arca plate)

TimoK

Interesting question. I'm a little bit confused because I use my Actus Mini with Linhof Micro 3D and couple of Sirui ball heads allways mounted on the rail. No problems. Also some Novoflex parts do work as well. Sirui calls their mount Arca compatible, Linhof calls it dovetail mount w/o mentioning their competitors name. Both work fine.
If you have the original Arca tripod head and have problems, the only reason I can imagine is in Arcas mount. I don't have original Arca parts but I have read here and at other places in internet that there is two different sizes of Arca mount. Maybe you have the original wider Arca mount at your tripod head and all the copiers use tighter version called Arca compatible.

Interesting question. I'm a little bit confused because I use my Actus Mini with Linhof Micro 3D and couple of Sirui ball heads allways mounted on the rail. No problems. Also some Novoflex parts do work as well. Sirui calls their mount Arca compatible, Linhof calls it dovetail mount w/o mentioning their competitors name. Both work fine.
If you have the original Arca tripod head and have problems, the only reason I can imagine is in Arcas mount. I don't have original Arca parts but I have read here and at other places in internet that there is two different sizes of Arca mount. Maybe you have the original wider Arca mount at your tripod head and all the copiers use tighter version called Arca compatible.
All my Arca clamps bot original Cube and D4 and chinese heads all have “wide” clamp... damn it’s just 10mm too wide otherwise i believe it would work ... have you ever stumbled upon narrower clamps?

med

All my Arca clamps bot original Cube and D4 and chinese heads all have “wide” clamp... damn it’s just 10mm too wide otherwise i believe it would work ... have you ever stumbled upon narrower clamps?
The Arca Swiss “Classic” clamps on their heads have two channels, one for the “Arca style” width that is the same as their rail extension brackets on their monorail cameras, and a narrower one that is the width of their actual monorails, and also their “Monoball fix” standard. I’m not sure if it works with any Cambo rails, but it is narrower than the common Arca clamps.

TimoK

I mean the original Cambo cameras. The actus mini luckily has arca. Not the XL or other older 8x10 etc
Oh, I see.You mentioned Actus and I was thinking my Actus mini, which btw was the first Actus camera.
I also have one of those "original Cambo cameras", Cambo SF 45 view camera. I bought it in 1999 and in that time when I used it actively I didn't see any problems with Arca compability. I used Manfrotto tripods and heads with hexagonal quick mounting plates.
Later, 6-7 years ago. I bought Cambo Ultima D camera (the same camera body which with some minimal modifications is today called Actus XL ).
In that time Arca mount had become the universal standard, and I also was moving from big and heavy hexagonal coupling to smaller Arca mounts. I tried to mount Cambo to Arca head.
So, I found two mistakes in the Cambo rail.
The first. The Cambo rail is not compatible with the Arca mount. I don't know but I guess the patent of Arca mount was the reason in the time when Cambo introduced their first camera with that rail.
The second. There is no camera screw in the rail. We can not srew an Arca plate under that Cambo rail. How easy it could be!
I believe, that's the way you could go. You need the camera srew in the middle of the rail, then you can add the long arca plate under the rail, and youre done.
The problem here is that the Cambo rail is made of too thin material to make screw directly on it but you need something stronger inside of the rail for female screw.
I don't know how mechanically skilled you are, but if not enough, there is maybe somebody around who can do it for you.

in theory they should sell something like this Cambo to Arca ... maybe i can find somebody to CNC/machine it...

Last edited:
well, im prototyping an adapter on my own and 3d print it in metal.... will see... there are adapter for every dovetail plates... i cant believe Cambo didn't make one...
I'll keep this thread updated when i finalize my design, maybe can help someone else with a Cambo Legend or Ultima