The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Viewfinders

Vivseries1

I own a Cambo WRS 1600 and while I most often use live view on my digital back to compose and focus, I would occasionally like to use an optical viewfinder. I know there are other options, like using an phone app, but I prefer optical viewfinders. I also know the WRS-1080 is discontinued but it is possible to find them used. I have not been able to find any reviews of the WRS-1080 other than one post on another forum by someone who said he had a WDS-580, which he said was probably the same optically as the WRS-1080, and that he thought the WDS-580 was the worst viewfinder he had ever used. Does anyone have any experience with the Cambo viewfinders? Thanks

f8orbust

Yup, I'll second that - the WRS-1080 WRS-580 made my eye water (literally) when I used it, it was that bad - IIWY I'd try and find a Linhof or Alpa viewfinder and adapt it to mount on your Cambo.

Last edited:

Vivseries1

Thanks for your response and I now see that you had provided the the earlier opinion I had seen about the WDS-580 (and actually it was on this forum). Is there anyone who has used the WRS-1080 viewfinder and could share thoughts on it?

I use mine from time to time with various masks depending on the lens I’m using. It works. It’s not perfect, but it’s straight forward. I haven’t used any other optical viewfinders for this application (ie, Alpa or Linhof) so I can’t compare the quality to those others. I’ve been eyeing the Linhof version to try something different and more high-tech.

f8orbust

Thanks for your response and I now see that you had provided the the earlier opinion I had seen about the WDS-580 (and actually it was on this forum). Is there anyone who has used the WRS-1080 viewfinder and could share thoughts on it?
Oh yes, my bad - I meant the 580 - didn't know there was a second viewfinder so take my comment with a pinch of salt, the 1080 may well be a different beast altogether.

Jonathan S.

I use the 1080. It works fine I guess. I also use the iphone holder and it works well too. After using Cambo for a while now I mostly use the 1080 as it is faster. I am thinking to buy this Arca viewfinder if I can find a way to mount it on my Cambo— https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980654-REG/arca_swiss_161008_vario_finder_2_for.html
The 1080 is discontinued now. I saw this one for sale last week, maybe it is still available... https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=138161.0
In any case the 1080 is fine, it works but if I can find a way to use the Arca Swiss Vario finder I will. It looks fantastic.

f8orbust

I've never used the A/S finder but always thought that it looked like a great solution to the viewfinder problem, and optically it's reputed to be top notch. Another great design by the late Martin Vogt I suspect.