The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can you please tell me if this is one of the Arca Swiss Cubes that can have the flip lock changed or not?

jodad

Is it possible to change the flip lock on this AS Cube to another manufacturer's because I've read that not all can be changed? This one feels a little lose and the little silver extra nub lock on the flip lock lever is a little difficult to use. Assuming its possible to change, apparently the RRS flip is highly rated. Any others that are highly rated? Is the only place to get it changed Precision?

Also, even on the lowest tension, the nobs are a little difficult to turn. One clearly more than the other. Also, i can see that the lube is a little old and sticky. How difficult is it to clean these?

Also, not much to go on but, from what you can see, as it is now, is that flip lock in decent shape, in case I cant change it?

Attachments

Paul Spinnler

U can also send in the whole cube for a full servicing and replacement of the clamp - usually is quite nice afterwards and maybe also a solution

dchew

Yes. I did this exact swap several years ago. My Cube now has the RRS quick release. Just make sure you have the exact mm hex tool to do it. It may take a bit of force and you don't want to strip that head. I wrapped a cloth around the sides of the Arca Swiss clamp and grabbed it with some channel locks. Then removed the screw with the hex key.

My Cube was also stiff. I sent it off for service like Paul recommends. Came back just fine. I've investigated trying to take it apart myself, but it looks to be a pretty complicated disassembly. Plus, I don't know what to use as lubrication. A better job for Bob at Precision Camera Works. And yes, you can send them the RRS clamp and just have them install it.

Dave

Paul2660

Remember the RRS lever release clamp will not grab an ARCA brand foot tightly. Like one made by ARCA for the RM3DI. If you are using a ARCA tech camera the RRS clamp imo is not a good solution. I went to the ARCA screw clamp for my cube.

Paul

Paul Spinnler

It might also affect your re-sale value - although I must say who would sell a cube - if you go franken. I sent mine in after 10 years of usage and asked them to make it "new", meaning without hesitation to switch out all parts not looking nice etc. It cost me like 700 USD, but it was like new, only thing NOT replaced was the bottom part ... I love this about Leica and Arca and in fact all high end brands - you can send in stuff and let them replace everything.

My cube will have another beautiful 10 years before the next visit to the factory, I guess!

jodad

Thanks everyone.
Would it be possible to swap it to a screw lock?
I'm actually not sue about the above. I read somewhere that the flip lock is safest, particularly if you walk around a little with the cam still on the tripod.

while we are here, any thoughts on lock types?

dchew

You can absolutely swap it out for a screw clamp. I think it is just personal preference. I really like the RRS quick release lever design. But I use it backwards; the lever is at the front of the camera so I can hold the camera in my right hand, flip the lever forward with my left and flip it back in one smooth motion without contorting my wrist to reach the lever. I use it like this:
1658417255313.png

Not like this:
1658417315610.png

I use the release a lot because I have two mounts on the Alpa STC oriented 90 degrees from each other. It is how I orient the shift from L/R to rise/fall. The quick release is important to me. Screw knobs are fine too, and as Paul points out will work on various dovetails without having to readjust the quick release. I use all the same brand plates to avoid that problem.

Dave

Attachments

Mexecutioner

Thanks everyone.
Would it be possible to swap it to a screw lock?
I'm actually not sue about the above. I read somewhere that the flip lock is safest, particularly if you walk around a little with the cam still on the tripod.

while we are here, any thoughts on lock types?
The safest until it gets caught by a strap that can pull it

Paul Spinnler

any idea what a full service costs?
Highly depends on the state of your Cube - but my experience with Arca has been nothing but stellar. It is a small fimaly owned business and they might have a high initial sticker price, but then again you get quality which lasts for very long. So when you send them stuff they will do a fair quote based on the state of your Cube and in any case you don't really have an alternative since they produce all the parts. But in my experience it is super fair and with 500-700 bucks you will get a good amount of refurbishment done ... In my case the price included a full replacement of the top assembly including the clamp.

vjbelle

Remember the RRS lever release clamp will not grab an ARCA brand foot tightly. Like one made by ARCA for the RM3DI. If you are using a ARCA tech camera the RRS clamp imo is not a good solution. I went to the ARCA screw clamp for my cube.

Paul
The RRS lever clamp will also not grab a Cambo Actus tech camera rail - in fact neither will the RRS screw clamp. Any of the non Arca branded plates could be too narrow for the RRS clamps. I may be one of the few to really like the flip lock. It has never failed me in the many years I have used it and I have it on all of my Arca heads. Adjustment is easy for me if necessary when going from non standard plates/rails to ARCA plates.

Victor B.

jodad

You can absolutely swap it out for a screw clamp. I think it is just personal preference. I really like the RRS quick release lever design. But I use it backwards; the lever is at the front of the camera so I can hold the camera in my right hand, flip the lever forward with my left and flip it back in one smooth motion without contorting my wrist to reach the lever. I use it like this:
View attachment 195403

Not like this:
View attachment 195404

I use the release a lot because I have two mounts on the Alpa STC oriented 90 degrees from each other. It is how I orient the shift from L/R to rise/fall. The quick release is important to me. Screw knobs are fine too, and as Paul points out will work on various dovetails without having to readjust the quick release. I use all the same brand plates to avoid that problem.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the demo of how you use the lip lock, the pictures were very helpful!
I would also be using thesame brand plates.