The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon G5X Mark II

JBurnett

I assume that this is where discussion/images about cameras with 1" sensors might go.

I purchased the Canon G5X Mark II about a year ago as an adjunct to my full-frame Sony A7II. The idea was that it would be taken along when I wasn't deliberately going out to photograph, and wanted something even lighter than the A7II and just a 50mm.

I wanted a small camera with reasonable resolution and operating controls, RAW files, and it had to have an EVF. In my price range at the time, that led me to consider the Panasonic LX100 II, one of the Sony RX100 family (Va, I think) or the G5X II. It was Covid times and, living in rural Nova Scotia, I wasn't able to handle these possible choices in person.

By looks/posted reviews, the best handler was undoubtedly the LX100 II. However, I've handled the Panasonic GX85 in the past (same viewfinder, I understand) and really didn't like the EVF. Plus, the G5X has slightly more reach with 24-120mm than either the LX100 II or RX100 V. So I took a chance and ordered one.

First, the G5X II is capable of producing very good images (satisfying to me, anyway). I'm making good use of the full zoom range. The viewfinder is tiny, but brighter and better overall (IMO) than the GX85/LX100 EVF. But it's a pain to both pop it up and extend it. And, overall, I find the camera a bit small and fiddly for my hands. I haven't used it as much as I thought I might, and perhaps that's part of the problem. Shooting with it isn't "natural" for me just yet.
IMG_0012-Edit.jpg
IMG_0026-Edit.jpg
IMG_0023-Edit.jpg
IMG_0084-Edit.jpg

JBurnett

Whirlwind trip to visit family and friends. First time to these locations in 10 years. As the reason for the trip was to visit and not photograph, I took the little G5X Mark II only, and had few opportunities to shoot. Wherever we went I was struck by the amount of construction and the number of homeless/street people. Much different environment from my home in small town Nova Scotia. First stop was Kingston, Ontario, where the skies were dark and brooding as the sun broke through.

IMG_0288-Edit.jpg
IMG_0293-Edit.jpg
IMG_0294-Edit.jpg
IMG_0297-Edit.jpg

JBurnett

I've tried using my phone as the camera that's always with me. I just haven't been able to get comfortable with using it. Despite some annoying aspects of the G5X Mark II (like having to release and pull back on the viewfinder), I greatly prefer it to using a phone. The challenge remains, however: seeing interest in the familiar and the banal, when one is focused on accomplishing an errand.

The Donair Shop
IMG_0446-Edit.jpg
Bollards in front of the liquor store
IMG_0447-Edit.jpg