The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 10 & Hasselblad DNG: Controversy and Solution

etto72

I have been a Capture One user since version 3.7 :toocool:
Despite I know extremely well Aperture 3 and all itinerations of Lightroom, I still regard this software as the very best in the market!!

I am anxiously waiting for my Hasselblad X1D to arrive but meanwhile I would like to share my thoughts about my situation

We all know that Capture One is very unlikely to support the X1D just as they don't support the Leica S or the Pentax 645Z
but I find really sad that they intentionally don't allow the software to import DNG files from those cameras!!

There is absolutely no technical reason why Capture One should not be able to read those files since they support Adobe DNG 1.4
and the little trick below shows perfectly my point:cool:

Here are two Hasselblad raw files, which I exported as DNG using Phocus (at this point Capture won't even see the DNG files)

Then with an exif editor cancelled the final letter "d" from the word "Hasselblad"
Thats it :clap:
now I can import all DNG from any Hasselblad camera (the same will apply for Pentax or Leica or Fujifilm GFX)

I love the results, see some screen shot of the two software side by side

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.20.01 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 11.53.25 AM.jpg

See the "Hasselbla" ??

exif.jpg

Obviously I wish Capture One would support natively those cameras and yes I know they won't :scry:
I have learned to respect this position, but blocking the DNG based on the word "Hasselblad" or "Pentax 645Z" is only damaging their clients !
Please let your costumer keep working with the best world photo software!!!

Thanks for listening
Ettore

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Indeed. Similar proposals were made for the 645Z.

I strongly suggest against modifications to raw files, or hacks that trick raw files to be recognized by software. 1) It doesn't provide color profiles, lens profiles, demosaicing tweaks, noise profile tweaks, or other elements that are often customized for a specific camera when Phase One adds support for it. 2) It could stop working at any time (e.g. 10.2 or 10.3 etc) and 3) It could have unintended consequences like crashes, freezes, processing errors, or other quirks. It's very possible for one specific version (e.g. 10.0.2) would not show an error but another version (e.g. 10.0.1 or 10.1.0) would.

This suggestion comes from nearly ten years of experience proving support for Capture One.

Note: Capture One supports a broad variety of small format cameras and only Team Phase One medium format cameras. This post does not support/defend/attack/endorse the policy that Phase One has. But it is a policy that is clear, simple, and has been consistent for more than a decade.

etto72

Indeed. Similar proposals were made for the 645Z.

I strongly suggest against modifications to raw files, or hacks that trick raw files to be recognized by software. 1) It doesn't provide color profiles, lens profiles, demosaicing tweaks, noise profile tweaks, or other elements that are often customized for a specific camera when Phase One adds support for it. 2) It could stop working at any time (e.g. 10.2 or 10.3 etc) and 3) It could have unintended consequences like crashes, freezes, processing errors, or other quirks. It's very possible for one specific version (e.g. 10.0.2) would not show an error but another version (e.g. 10.0.1 or 10.1.0) would.

This suggestion comes from nearly ten years of experience proving support for Capture One.

Note: Capture One supports a broad variety of small format cameras and only Team Phase One medium format cameras. This post does not support/defend/attack/endorse the policy that Phase One has. But it is a policy that is clear, simple, and has been consistent for more than a decade.
Thanks for your comment Doug. I knew you would...:grin:

This is not a typical hack, like those users that changed the Exif name from Pentax 645Z in to Phase One IQ150....
here the software can perfectly read and edit the DNG 1.4 from cameras like the x1D or H6D, taking the "d" off unlocks that!

I am not pretending C1 to support those cameras natively, which is what we all wish :scry:
and obviously with DNG files from cameras which Phase One didn't profile there is no support for specific Lens correction or Color profile, just a generic one (which you can tweak if you know how)
As a loyal custumer I am only asking Phase One to stop filtering off those DNG based on the name of the camera brand and allow those files to be imported!!

Until then I don't have choice, I personally prefer to deal (time consuming) with removing than "d" than switching software and trowing away thousands of dollars and more then 10 years of work !

Thanks
Ettore

Last edited:
If Phase One decides to support Fuji's GFX 50s in Capture One with their "open platform" philosophy, then they probably see Hasselblad X1D as a threat to their market, which means the X1D is to some extend a very good product.

kscott

Until then I don't have choice, I personally prefer to deal (time consuming) with removing than "d" than switching software and trowing away thousands of dollars and more then 10 years of work !
I wouldn't count on this particular workaround continuing to work. You've just publicly demonstrated a bug in how Capture One identifies cameras from EXIF data that they may now feel inclined to fix. :)

etto72

Is there any advantage exporting a "hacked" DNG file from Phocus to C1 vs exporting a regular tif file?
Yes, Huge
Just look at the size :bugeyes::bugeyes:
and then remember that having a raw files gives the advantage of the constant progress of the raw engine of the software
Often I go back to my old Nikon D1X raws and re-editit my work done 9 years ago. The difference at times is simply striking

Cheers
Ettore

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

A TIFF file is demosaiced while the DNG contains raw data. TIFF would have:

• Demosaic applied
  • White balance applied
  • Tone curve applied

I can see that a user who has a large investment in a tool chain is reluctant to change to another tool chain. It is really a dilemma. The options:

• Switch toolchain
  • Use dual toolchain
  • Don't use unsupported camera

Neither of the alternatives is attractive, but that are the ones Capture One users face if they want to use Hasselblad, Pentax 645, Leica S or Fuji GFX. Regarding the GFX there have been some statements from Fuji saying Capture One would support the GFX, that would be a bug surprise.

Best regards
Erik

Is there any advantage exporting a "hacked" DNG file from Phocus to C1 vs exporting a regular tif file?

Hi,

A TIFF file is demosaiced while the DNG contains raw data. TIFF would have:

• Demosaic applied
  • White balance applied
  • Tone curve applied

I can see that a user who has a large investment in a tool chain is reluctant to change to another tool chain. It is really a dilemma. The options:

• Switch toolchain
  • Use dual toolchain
  • Don't use unsupported camera

Neither of the alternatives is attractive, but that are the ones Capture One users face if they want to use Hasselblad, Pentax 645, Leica S or Fuji GFX. Regarding the GFX there have been some statements from Fuji saying Capture One would support the GFX, that would be a bug surprise.

Best regards
Erik
I am pretty new to Phocus and Im probably misunderstanding something. But I thought that when a 3FR file is imported into Phocus and converted into a fff the raw data are rendered using the Phocus settings and the Phocus demosaicing algorithm and that the exported dng is a linear dng not a true raw. Now I learn that this is not the case and that I could use Phocus as a the Adobe DNG converter. Is this correct?
TIA

drevil

Staff member
If Phase One decides to support Fuji's GFX 50s in Capture One with their "open platform" philosophy, then they probably see Hasselblad X1D as a threat to their market, which means the X1D is to some extend a very good product.
I think it simply means, Phase One found common ground for an agreement with Fuji, whilst this was not the case with Hasselblad.

I think it simply means, Phase One found common ground for an agreement with Fuji, whilst this was not the case with Hasselblad.
I have not seen any official (even unofficial) statement from Phase One that they are going to support MF cameras from Fuji, but if this is going to happen they may have changed their policy not just for Fuji but for any other MF cameras and they may be willing to support also Hasselblad, Leica and Pentax as long as there is enough demand to justify the effort. Let's wait and see :)

Pentax645

I have been a Capture One user since version 3.7 :toocool:
Despite I know extremely well Aperture 3 and all itinerations of Lightroom, I still regard this software as the very best in the market!!

I am anxiously waiting for my Hasselblad X1D to arrive but meanwhile I would like to share my thoughts about my situation

We all know that Capture One is very unlikely to support the X1D just as they don't support the Leica S or the Pentax 645Z
but I find really sad that they intentionally don't allow the software to import DNG files from those cameras!!

There is absolutely no technical reason why Capture One should not be able to read those files since they support Adobe DNG 1.4
and the little trick below shows perfectly my point:cool:

Here are two Hasselblad raw files, which I exported as DNG using Phocus (at this point Capture won't even see the DNG files)

Then with an exif editor cancelled the final letter "d" from the word "Hasselblad"
Thats it :clap:
now I can import all DNG from any Hasselblad camera (the same will apply for Pentax or Leica or Fujifilm GFX)

I love the results, see some screen shot of the two software side by side

View attachment 125007

View attachment 125008

See the "Hasselbla" ??

View attachment 125009

Obviously I wish Capture One would support natively those cameras and yes I know they won't :scry:
I have learned to respect this position, but blocking the DNG based on the word "Hasselblad" or "Pentax 645Z" is only damaging their clients !
Please let your costumer keep working with the best world photo software!!!

Thanks for listening
Ettore
Etore

I went trough a similar struggle, i feel your pain !

I bought the 645Z but i was already using Capture One, it was version 7 but luckily at that time you could export the 645Z pef in to Adobe dng (via Adobe dng converter) and still use Capture One for all the edits

When v.8 came out, the same dngs that were in my Capture One 7 catalog were not compatible any longer
Phase One intentionally prevented that you could use those dngs just because were from the 645Z !!!

I try multiple times to be in touch with the support team, and i only heard all kind of stories and legends about the dng compatibility, but no one would ever admit that was done in purpose.

It took long time to get over that, eventually I switched to LR (though I still badly miss Capture One)
Dont waste your time hoping for anything, they simple dont care for how long you have been a customers, probably no company does

Good luck

David

etto72

Etore

I went trough a similar struggle, i feel your pain !

I bought the 645Z but i was already using Capture One, it was version 7 but luckily at that time you could export the 645Z pef in to Adobe dng (via Adobe dng converter) and still use Capture One for all the edits

When v.8 came out, the same dngs that were in my Capture One 7 catalog were not compatible any longer
Phase One intentionally prevented that you could use those dngs just because were from the 645Z !!!

I try multiple times to be in touch with the support team, and i only heard all kind of stories and legends about the dng compatibility, but no one would ever admit that was done in purpose.

It took long time to get over that, eventually I switched to LR (though I still badly miss Capture One)
Dont waste your time hoping for anything, they simple dont care for how long you have been a customers, probably no company does

Good luck

David
I just can't see me switching to anything else...
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

dnercesian

I wouldn't count on this particular workaround continuing to work. You've just publicly demonstrated a bug in how Capture One identifies cameras from EXIF data that they may now feel inclined to fix. :)
This is exactly why I mentioned in another thread that these "hacks" have been a thing for a long time, but it is something to be kept under the radar, lest it be patched, requiring people to find another work around. There is always a work around for everything, but why make things harder on one's self? As you mention, Phase will likely patch this vulnerability because they received a free penetration test here. Lucky them. I charge an arm and a leg for that...

Best solution to this problem, buy an IQ3100, lol. Everything in life is better with an IQ3100...