The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CAPTURE ONE 2021 NIKON

robert kuprion

I NEED HELP TRYING TO USE FOLDERS. I CANNOT FIGURE ANYTHING OUT FROM ANY TUTORIALS FROM C-1. I WANT TO DOWNLOAD FROM MEMORY CARD,ORGANIIZE,EDIT

archiM44

I would recommend using the webinars instead of the tutorials to get detailed and clear information.
They are about an hour, but are very clear.
The one called Hit the Ground Running, Organizing Catalogs and Catalogs and Sessions come to mind.

archiM44

Hi Robert
one thing to be very careful of is when creating a new catalog from folders on your hard disk is to make a referenced catalog and having your files (images) remaining where they are and not imported into the catalog. Also when deleting images in the catalog make you don’t delete from disk or they are really gone and can only be recovered from a backu always choose remove from catalog. In a Lightroom catalog the warning is clearer

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The first thing you need to decide is if you want to shoot by sessions or catalogs. I personally use sessions simply because I have since day 1, but catalogs are popular. Then with C1 open, goto File>New>Session (Catalog). Create the standard session they offer with the folders they offer the first few times. As you gain experience you can modify that. Give the session (catalog) a name and the location you want it to reside. Mine are usually something like XYZshoot_MMDD as the sessions are stored on my array by year to begin with. Now with your session or catalog open and card in your reader, goto File>Import Images. The first time, tell them where to import them from and then to, in this case I use my reader "Nikon Z" folder and the session "Capture" folder. You can check all the thumbnails or just the ones you want, next uncheck auto adjustments unless you know you want them, ditto styles, and add your copyright data. Hit import. All your images will line up on your side bar, you click one and start editing.

Last edited:

robert kuprion

Thanks for emphasizing those important points. I am making written notes of them now..
The first thing you need to decide is if you want to shoot by sessions or catalogs. I personally use sessions simply because I have since day 1, but catalogs are popular. Then with C1 open, goto File>New>Session (Catalog). Create the standard session they offer with the folders they offer the first few times. As you gain experience you can modify that. Give the session (catalog) a name and the location you want it to reside. Mine are usually something like XYZshoot_MMDD as the sessions are stored on my array by year to begin with. Now with your session or catalog open and card in your reader, goto File>Import Images. The first time, tell them where to import them from and then to, in this case I use my reader "Nikon Z" folder and the session "Capture" folder. You can check all the thumbnails or just the ones you want, next uncheck auto adjustments unless you know you want them, ditto styles, and add your copyright data. Hit import. All your images will line up on your side bar, you click one and start editing.
Thank you Jack for the step by step written out instructions for sessions. I suppose C-1 offers so much it is hard to take it all in at first. Thanks to everyone for the help.

archiM44

I have used sessions for years because I found the LR catalog much better. Especially disappointing is/was synchronizing.
Until recently I used sessions, only to process the files in Capture One by exporten from y Lightroom catalog to the Capture folder of a Session, processing and then exporten the variant to the appropriate folder in my LR catalog, synchronizing and importing.
The problem with sessions is that they contain the image files and many sessions fill up a HD very quickly.
I have a Capture One catalog with about 45,000 referenced images which is about 80 GB weeral the files totally are about 2TB and if all were in sessions that wouls take 4TB + the same amount of backup space.
The only advantage against using a Lightroom catalog and exporten round trip to sessions is that everytime Capture One upgrades with new features it is easier to redevelo from an exixting catalog.
I would greatly value Jack's opinion and advice on this

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use sessions simply because I like the way the way they work and have plenty of storage at my main editing machine, AND (this is the important factor) I do NOT do very much heavy off-site editing, only preliminary for the most current shoots.

If I did do more off-site editing, I would would continue with editing in individual sessions, but then I'd also move my sessions into a catalog. You can do this intelligently to carry over all original adjustments. In this, I could carry a duplicate catalog drive around with me and edit anything on the road -- in C1 the catalog previews are "smart" so you can edit on them and the revised edits will port over to the original file next time you synch up the catalogs.

I also like the session sub folder hierarchy, like that trashed images are not deleted unless I decide to delete them at some later date to free up drive space. (IMHO, drive space is a relatively cheap commodity, and I have on occasion gone back into a session trash folder after my initial edits and found part of an adjoining image I could use to repair a defect in the preferred working file.) I also shoot lean, meaning I typically don't have more than a couple hundred total images in any given session folder. Next, I don't typically spend a lot of time re-editing images after the original shoot, so for me it's sort of shoot them, load them into a session, do a quick edit of keepers and trash, then work up my keepers processing out any for web or print or whatever. Once that shoot has been initially edited and processed, I rarely have a reason to go back into it.

If I did need to frequently return to a historical shoot, and if I had the discipline to properly tag images on initial preview, then cataloging would be an advantage. Problem is, I do not not work that way nor do I have that discipline to tag. My workaround is if at some future date I need say an image of say a glacial lake, I have to rely on my memory as to when I last shot near glaciers and then go back through my session folders and find them. Here my sessions are already grouped by year, then subheads location or client and date, so now I can go back to my 2010 folder and find my Glacier National Park session, or go back to 2012 and sort through my Banff and Jasper sessions. I realize that's more tedious than opening a catalog where I properly tagged all my images originally, but net net I didn't spend any time tagging so am way ahead timewise.

Hope that helps.

robert kuprion

I use sessions simply because I like the way the way they work and have plenty of storage at my main editing machine, AND (this is the important factor) I do NOT do very much heavy off-site editing, only preliminary for the most current shoots.

If I did do more off-site editing, I would would continue with editing in individual sessions, but then I'd also move my sessions into a catalog. You can do this intelligently to carry over all original adjustments. In this, I could carry a duplicate catalog drive around with me and edit anything on the road -- in C1 the catalog previews are "smart" so you can edit on them and the revised edits will port over to the original file next time you synch up the catalogs.

I also like the session sub folder hierarchy, like that trashed images are not deleted unless I decide to delete them at some later date to free up drive space. (IMHO, drive space is a relatively cheap commodity, and I have on occasion gone back into a session trash folder after my initial edits and found part of an adjoining image I could use to repair a defect in the preferred working file.) I also shoot lean, meaning I typically don't have more than a couple hundred total images in any given session folder. Next, I don't typically spend a lot of time re-editing images after the original shoot, so for me it's sort of shoot them, load them into a session, do a quick edit of keepers and trash, then work up my keepers processing out any for web or print or whatever. Once that shoot has been initially edited and processed, I rarely have a reason to go back into it.

If I did need to frequently return to a historical shoot, and if I had the discipline to properly tag images on initial preview, then cataloging would be an advantage. Problem is, I do not not work that way nor do I have that discipline to tag. My workaround is if at some future date I need say an image of say a glacial lake, I have to rely on my memory as to when I last shot near glaciers and then go back through my session folders and find them. Here my sessions are already grouped by year, then subheads location or client and date, so now I can go back to my 2010 folder and find my Glacier National Park session, or go back to 2012 and sort through my Banff and Jasper sessions. I realize that's more tedious than opening a catalog where I properly tagged all my images originally, but net net I didn't spend any time tagging so am way ahead timewise.

Hope that helps.
YES,IT DOES HELP. ALL INFORMATION SO CLEARLY WRITTEN IS ALWAYS HELPFUL, THANK YOU MUCH

archiM44

Thank you very much Jack for as always a very clear explanation and plenty of food for thought. I certainly like the idea of importring sessions into a catalog and will give that a try.