The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Import from Hasselblad

KlausJH

I have worked a little bit more on the import script to convert .3FR or .fff files using the Adobe DNG Converter.
(macOS only)
The workflow has become very simple.
Copy all .3FR files from your sd card to a folder "HasselbIadC1" located in your picture folder.
Run the script "Hasselblad_to_dng" which needs to be copied once in C1s Script-Folder.
Now you can import your images from the folder "HasselbIadC1".

The script converts all .3FR or .fff files to .dng files, alters the Exif maker tag to HasselbIad (2nd l becomes a upper cas i) and deletes the .3FR files when finished.

Here is the "Hasselblad_to_dng" script:

set str_application_path to quoted form of "/Applications/Adobe DNG Converter.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe DNG Converter"
set str_options to " -c -d ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1 "
set inputFolder to "~/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
set foundImages to paragraphs of (do shell script "/usr/bin/mdfind -onlyin " & inputFolder & " 'kMDItemContentTypeTree == \"*public.image*\"'")

repeat with i in foundImages
set oneImage to i
do shell script str_application_path & str_options & oneImage
end repeat

do shell script
"rm -rf ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1/*.3FR"
do shell script "/usr/local/bin/exiftool -overwrite_original -make='HasselbIad' -m ~/pictures/HasselbIadC1"
display dialog "done" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note

Have fun!

nameBrandon

Good stuff! Just to clarify for those not super savvy.. this approach makes a few important assumptions that you may need to change.

1. you have a "pictures" subfolder in your home directory, and then a subdirectory called HasselbladC1
  2. you have exiftool installed in /usr/local/bin
  3. You have Adobe DNG Converter installed, and located in /Applications

KlausJH

Good stuff! Just to clarify for those not super savvy.. this approach makes a few important assumptions that you may need to change.

1. you have a "pictures" subfolder in your home directory, and then a subdirectory called HasselbladC1
  2. you have exiftool installed in /usr/local/bin
  3. You have Adobe DNG Converter installed, and located in /Applications
Thanks for adding the information, exiftool and Adobe DNG Converter are free software and need to be installed.

abed

A million thanks Klaus, your proposed solution works like a charm. One more suggestions, in the folder "HasselbIadC1" that is placed inside the pictures folder, the second l in the name is also replaced by capital i

KlausJH

A million thanks Klaus, your proposed solution works like a charm. One more suggestions, in the folder "HasselbIadC1" that is placed inside the pictures folder, the second l in the name is also replaced by capital i
Thank you! I'm glad you find it useful.

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
Yes excellent Klaus, several people will be very happy with this.

I have decided to only use Phocus, but I will remember there is a script if I ever go back to C1.

KlausJH

don't you loose the lens corrections ?

and what about color profiles ?

does it has sense?

regards
There is no lens correction embedded in the DNGs, no aspect ratio information either.
The color profile "DNG File Neutral" and curve "DNG Standard" work well for me.
Does it make sense? That is a question that only you can answer. It depends on the equipment you use and the work you are doing. I have been working with C1 since Apple discontinued with Aperture and have transferred all my RAW data from Nikon, Olympus and Sony to C1 and I was very happy with the results. Today I'm working with a Sony and a Hasselblad system. So, it makes sense for me. But now I have to ask this question again. I sold my Sony RX100M6 and will soon get an iPhone 12 Pro max for casual work. C1 does not support HEIC and will probably not support Apple RAW when it comes. That makes the concept of "one software for all systems" no longer valid for me.

spb

Staff member
Interesting Klaus. I have settled for Phocus and Affinity Photo. I 'sometimes' use my phone to take an image, but I don't like the experience. I still prefer a camera to be just that. Very happy with the 907X for the images I don't want my phone for.

Last edited:

KlausJH

Stephen, you can use Phocus for all file formats supported by Apple's CameraRawSupport, almost everything that exists today. However, in the exposure tab of Phocus you can see that recovery, shadow fill and clarity are dimmed and cannot be applied to other RAW data. And Phocus has no file system, neither has Affinity Photo.
The images I have seen from my wife's iPhone 12 Pro have convinced me to go this way. OK, it does not handle like a "real" camera, but I have it always with me.
Of course, it cannot and will not replace my X1D.

spb

Staff member
I had noticed that with my GFXR files. File system doesn't bother me, as I have one of my own. Folders on external media by Year, Date, Place or Project. Folders in there for FFF and resultant TIFF or JPG.

The more modern world pushes for us to use our phone to pay for things etc etc, makes me ready for the day I cancel my phone contract and walk away. The quality of the phone camera is good I agree, but that's of no interest to me.

Godfrey

Many of the stores in this area are now requiring contactless payment, rather than cash or even magnetic or chipped credit cards, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. A smartphone with your contactless payment instrument of choice is actually safer and more secure than contactless enabled credit cards...

G

spb

Staff member
Many of the stores in this area are now requiring contactless payment, rather than cash or even magnetic or chipped credit cards, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. A smartphone with your contactless payment instrument of choice is actually safer and more secure than contactless enabled credit cards...

G
We will have to differ on this subject, I don't regard smartphones as 'smart' - tied to one's bank account... Fortunately where I live we are not that far towards a cashless land.

KlausJH

G
Same here. Apple Pay is convenient, fast and safe.

Unlike HEIC, Apple's ProRaw could be a game changer.

Why don't ask, if there are enough requests! Here is the link to C1 feature request page: https://bit.ly/2JfMuIY
Definitely! I have already asked for HEIC support and not to put the version name in the application name. (Capture One, not 20, 21,...).

Godfrey

We will have to differ on this subject, I don't regard smartphones as 'smart' - tied to one's bank account... Fortunately where I live we are not that far towards a cashless land.
When you use Apple Pay, the only account your phone is tied to is the AppleID with Apple. Apple is the only company that is storing the credit card accounts that you've listed as accessible for payment ... Apple Pay generates a different, secure ID and a one-time use payment identifier for each transaction, which are all transmitted with encryption, so the likelihood that your account ID will be captured by an ID thief is virtually nil. It's more secure than using your credit card alone. I think most of the other digital payment protocols are using a similar security system now, but I'm not certain. All I can say is that I prefer using Apple Pay over most other transaction instruments at this point.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion ...
HEIC stores images with better, more efficient compression than JPEG, and can handle 16bit data too. Why wouldn't Capture One be doing that as a matter of course?

G

spb

Staff member
I agree with this; I use Phocus for my Hasselblad photographs and export to TIF for Photoshop. I have not tried Affinity.
I used Photoshop Elements years ago for awhile but I didn't like Adobe interface so I used a few other packages until I found Affinity Photo and if I need more than Phocus then I export to Tiff and use Affinity or Luminar 4.

jecxz

I used Photoshop Elements years ago for awhile but I didn't like Adobe interface so I used a few other packages until I found Affinity Photo and if I need more than Phocus then I export to Tiff and use Affinity or Luminar 4.
I am now looking at Affinity, thank you; serendipitous because my Adobe annual $ is in 2 weeks! After 20 years, I never acclimated to the PS interface and felt it is complicated to do even the most basic of tasks; I did not want to acquire a PhD for PS. Be safe.

Godfrey

I've been using Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro 11" for two or three years now, infrequently but yes. It's an excellent app, and a great value for money; the rendering quality of the raw converter is excellent. I like the fact that it is available for all of my Apple systems (macOS, iOS, and iPadOS).

I'm so heavily embedded into Lightroom on my macOS system, however, that I've found it difficult to let go. I've been using it for so long, I'm fast and efficient in getting exactly what I want out of it. I haven't touched Photoshop for years, but moving away from LR (now Lightroom Classic) will take significant effort.