The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One v21 preorder woes and words of caution

Mexecutioner

Hi,

Just a word of caution to those pre-ordering v21.

I pre-ordered the update just like i did last year and at the end of the process I clicked on the website link that read something like "get started with Capture One" thinking it would allow me to download the code for the future update and my v20 license got deactivated.

To make matters worse when I go to my Capture One profile there are no capture One licenses to be found, so not just deactivated but obliterated, vaporized...

The cherry on the cake is that all of my products got unregistered from my camera warranty page on the Phase One website and I can't even re-add my IQ4150 back to the list so I can get the DB only version of Capture One 20.

I have contacted my dealer for assistance, but wanted to share my experience so you guys don't run into this. I doubt I did anything wrong, and I can't see how all of this could have been caused by operator error. I will report back once this gets resolved.

Rodrigo

Mexecutioner

I also contacted Phase One support and they replied with 5 minutes mentioning that yesterday they became aware of the online profile tool issues. Currently you cannot register your hardware, or generate a Capture One for Phase One license.

I am still sorting out the v20 problem. I get the message "Could not activate because the license code is disabled".

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

The CO21 license is backwards compatible, so I activated Capture One 20 with this license. I imagine it will still work once CO21 comes out.

As for the online profile I will check back in a few days and see if it is back up and running.

I must say the speed and response from Phase one support was excellent and we got this sorted out quickly.

spb

Staff member
Gordon Bennett that is poor as an update procedure and to end up with everything obliterated...... that is just one hell of a crappy update routine. I won't update I think I have finished with C1 anyway. Phocus and Affinity do all I need. So I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

Of course for C1 people I feel sorry for you guys, lets hope they don't take an age to fix the mess.

Paul2660

thanks for the update on the problems. I found the process to update to C1 20 was troublesome also, due to activation issues. Posted it but no one else seemed to have the problems. This issue you had is even worse however as losing all of your previous history and equipment is a big issue.

Sad that Phase One/Capture One, (I realize they are separate companies), can't seem to get these type of problems figured out.

And local US dealers now seem to have very little control of any C1 issues anymore. With C1 20 upgrades, I was no longer able to order through my local US dealer as I had for years. And the support for C1 is now all web based as they never had any local phone support (dealers used to offer this), so I do hope they figure things out sooner than later.

Paul C

baudolino

I bought the pre-preorder update today, deactivated C1 20 when prompted and re-activated it again with the new license code, on both of my computers. I can see my licenses OK on the website, under "Manage Licenses". All my registered hardware is still visible under "Preferences / Update". I understand that once C1 21 comes out, I should de-install C1 20 and install the new version from the website, and activate it using the new license code. A bit unusual but not all that complicated and it is all explained in the link that you get with the new license code. I don't see a problem but perhaps I am not looking hard enough.

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

I bought the pre-preorder update today, deactivated C1 20 when prompted and re-activated it again with the new license code, on both of my computers. I can see my licenses OK on the website, under "Manage Licenses". All my registered hardware is still visible under "Preferences / Update". I understand that once C1 21 comes out, I should de-install C1 20 and install the new version from the website, and activate it using the new license code. A bit unusual but not all that complicated and it is all explained in the link that you get with the new license code. I don't see a problem but perhaps I am not looking hard enough.
I was not expecting to my CO20 license tyo be deactivated and being removed from my profile. Once I used the CO21 code it was restored. My profile shows now just the CO21 license, which makes sense.

I guess the listed hardware issue does not affect everyone. Not a big deal for now, but I would like to see this restored as well

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

Are there any significant improvements vs. C1 20? Thank you for any insights.
No idea, I favor the idea of saving 20% off something I am going to get eventually. I'm not a poker player, I just like to keep my software current. The cost of the upgrade is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of what the system costs.

Ray Harrison

I ended up going to the subscription model this year (and forgive me for the "S" word :)). It's cheaper (at least this year), I literally upgrade each year anyway and this seems to get me out of their annual "dumpster fire" upgrade process, which seems to overall be getting worse, at least anecdotally. I'll evaluate on a yearly basis, but as has been mentioned and in the grand scheme of things, whatever it costs is pretty minor anyway.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I finally sorted it out. C1 20 is running with the C1 21 registration number. My hardware is all listed as before. I presume when C1 21 comes out it will be straightforward upgrade with no new registration needed.

Mexecutioner

Well, I finally sorted it out. C1 20 is running with the C1 21 registration number. My hardware is all listed as before. I presume when C1 21 comes out it will be straightforward upgrade with no new registration needed.
Straightforward? I certainly hope we don’t go through this rigmarole with every new release.

Boinger

Am I the only one that feels C1 doesn't offer much for the price an upgrade anymore? When I upgraded to c20 it hardly feels worth it.

Reactions: spb

KlausJH

Am I the only one that feels C1 doesn't offer much for the price an upgrade anymore? When I upgraded to c20 it hardly feels worth it.
I agree. And when you wait 3 months, you'll probably get the upgrade for half the price.
And what annoys me much: C1 has an applescript library and many functions can be handled with scripts. But with every new version they change the name of their app, Capture One 10, Capture One 12, Capture One 20, Capture One 21. This requires changes to the scripts. No other software company that sells scriptable software is doing that.
And the unwillingness to support Hasselblad files makes me think to no longer upgrade C1 software, keep C1 20 for my Sony and Nikon images and work with Phocus and Affinity Photo.

Reactions: spb
The CO21 license is backwards compatible, so I activated Capture One 20 with this license. I imagine it will still work once CO21 comes out.

As for the online profile I will check back in a few days and see if it is back up and running.

I must say the speed and response from Phase one support was excellent and we got this sorted out quickly.
My online profile of registered gear was gone yesterday as well. Opened a support ticket and it's back this morning. I might try the upgrade deal over the weekend. Fingers crossed they have it sorted now.

med

I am using CO12 for some of my non-Phase files and CO20 for my Phase files and I honestly couldn’t even tell you what the differences are. Unless there is something groundbreaking in CO21 I will probably pass on upgrading my CO12 license and just use it for my IQ back exclusively.

I upgraded, didn't want to use 21 Beta because of Mac compatibility problem. Launched 20, was told license info needed. I entered the key code for 20 (why would I expect I need to use the new 21 key code for 20?), had option to Quit or Deactivate license. After trying "Quit" several times with same outcome, I figured I could deactivate the license, relaunch 20 and enter the key code from 20 again. (I only had the 2 activations). But now both my computers' licenses are dead. Contacted Phase One, they now tell me that the key code for 21 is valid for 20, and I should use that! But, as I told them and they ignored in their reply, the problem is that I cannot get to a point where I can enter ANY key code. I am simply told when launching 20 that the license is deactivated. I am thus frozen out completely from using C1. This is probably the most incompetent upgrade I have ever encountered.

Mexecutioner

Hardware Registration on the camera warranty page, and Capture One for Phase One license generation are back up and running normally for those that had that issue too.