The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CaptureOne Import issue

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For whatever reason, it seems C1 will no longer auto eject the card after import. The box is there and checked, ostensibly carried over from my previous installations, but it and the erase option are both grayed out. This is C1 21 Mac with a USB-C CFexpress/SD card reader with CFex card inserted and attached to either of my Macs. Obviously it's a trivial issue, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple or this is a known issue perhaps due to the CFex card and reader? Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated...

Darin Marcus

For whatever reason, it seems C1 will no longer auto eject the card after import. The box is there and checked, ostensibly carried over from my previous installations, but it and the erase option are both grayed out. This is C1 21 Mac with a USB-C CFexpress/SD card reader with CFex card inserted and attached to either of my Macs. Obviously it's a trivial issue, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple or this is a known issue perhaps due to the CFex card and reader? Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated...
Big Sur?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As an update, I recently upgraded one of my Z7's to a Z7ii -- which has the additional SD card slot and what I use to port the jpegs to, leaving the CFex for the raws. So what's interesting is that while C1 still won't auto eject the CFex card after import, it does auto eject the SD card after offloading the jpegs.

Not a big deal, but a curiosity...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One other thing I just noticed about this: Big Sur sees the SD card a "silver" colored typical external drive, while it sees the CFex card as a "gold" colored drive which I believe indicates an internal or system drive? That probably explains some of the behavior...

Darin Marcus

One other thing I just noticed about this: Big Sur sees the SD card a "silver" colored typical external drive, while it sees the CFex card as a "gold" colored drive which I believe indicates an internal or system drive? That probably explains some of the behavior...
My internal/system drive shows up in silver on my iMac/Big Sur :)
The CFexpress card shows like a gold external drive (Sony card/reader), while SD cards have a SD card icon... but I am using the iMac SD slot.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My internal/system drive shows up in silver on my iMac/Big Sur :)
The CFexpress card shows like a gold external drive (Sony card/reader), while SD cards have a SD card icon... but I am using the iMac SD slot.
Hmm, my bad. I have replaced all of my internal and regular attached drives with dedicated icons for quick identification, so I was relying on my very poor memory for what their native were. But the two definitely come up differently —SD as silver, CFex as gold— via the same dual reader connected on USB-C.

Darin Marcus

But the two definitely come up differently —SD as silver, CFex as gold— via the same dual reader connected on USB-C.
The OS mounts the cards as volumes, not the card reader. I suspect that due to the differences between them - the CFex is a PCIe card while the SD is a more traditional removable media - the OS shows them with different (default) icons. I believe that the ejection methods are different as well, although XQD is also PCIe (but apparently an older gen) so if it (C1) works with XQD it should also work with CFexpress (except if Big Sur provides an updated API for CFex that C1 is not yet calling...).

Anyway, it seems that the next SD standard (SD express) is also PCIe, so the default icon for them may be the same as for CFex, once they become available...