The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS!

Carl Zeiss ZX1

Jan

A long while ago - in another Galaxy - i signed up for an update re. the release of the CZ ZX1. This weekend the option to pre-order arrived in my inbox. 6,000 USD.

Now let that number sink in for a while. 6,000 USD.
I have no doubts it is a great camera but something tells me for that money they won't sell like hot cakes.

ggibson

Super interesting camera. It seems positioned to compete with the Leica Q2, which is $5K. Of course there are a lot of differences, but the standout feature for the ZX1 is that it basically comes with a tablet/smartphone built into it with 512GB of storage. So I can see why they chose that price. I think the Leica Q cameras have been very successful for Leica, but they have a different brand compared to Zeiss and a very loyal audience. The Leica Q is also an excellent camera in many ways, with a great user experience from what I've read. There are some big question marks around the ZX1's UI and new lens/sensor, so it's hard to say whether Zeiss can entice buyers in the same way. If Zeiss can execute on the concept, it has a shot.

Jan

There is also a camera called RX1 by Sony which is incredible good with a CZ lens and price wise much more attractive than the Leica and ZX1. For 6K I'm not game and might as well get back another Sony or stay on the fence.

JoelM

The Sony RX1rII is a really fantastic camera and it even has a Zeiss lens:). As for the ZX1, I just don't get it? It certainly isn't for me,. I don't see the need to perform my workflow in the field or on my camera. However, that being said, there might be a niche that does exactly that so this might be the perfect tool.
Joel

ggibson

I've been a longtime fan of the RX1 series, but never lucky enough to own one. That lens is legendary, I am actually surprised that the ZX1 comes with something different but still the same 35/2 spec. I'd venture a guess that if you're just comparing the camera output at 1:1, that the RX1rII will be every bit as capable if not more due to slightly higher MP count. But I don't think the ZX1 is trying to win the spec war, it's all about aesthetics and a new/simplified workflow.

I imagine more mainstream cameras down the line will have similar capabilities to the ZX1. Wireless technologies, CPU power, and memory storage are all becoming cheaper and cheaper. Sony said as much themselves that they will explore the space between the dedicated camera and smartphone. With those tools in your camera, there's no reason you need to take out an SD card and wait to download the images to your desktop. By the time you're home, it's already done. And those edits you made on the camera are all transferred too. Your desktop at home sync'd a backup copy and you can do the remaining editing on your iPad before sharing an image with your friends. Sure, people will have needs that don't fit within this workflow yet (features or software), but I see this camera as imagining what could be possible and trying to make it happen now. Come to think of it, I have this workflow available to me already. It's on my smartphone with a tiny lens and sensor, so why not on my beautiful full frame camera too?