The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Central Camera in Chicago Reopens 122-Year-Old Store After 2020 Fire

TechTalk

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/06/16/central-camera-reopens-122-year-old-loop-shop-after-2020-fire-looting-im-so-happy-this-place-is-still-here

Central Camera Reopens 122-Year-Old Loop Shop After 2020 Fire, Looting: ‘I’m So Happy This Place Is Still Here’

The store was destroyed in May 2020 in the unrest after police killed George Floyd. Almost two years later, it's back open thanks to $230,000 in donations from Chicagoans.

Melody Mercado - Jun 16, 2022 - Block Club Chicago

DOWNTOWN — Don Flesch is known for passing out little snacks to his customers.

“Grab a chocolate,” Flesch reminds them on their way out.

Now, the 73-year-old is back in action behind the counter at Central Camera’s store, which reopened at 230 S. Wabash Ave. in March after being looted and burned down during 2020’s civil unrest after police murdered George Floyd in Minneapolis. First opened in 1899 by Flesch’s grandfather, the store attracts shoppers from around the world looking for unique camera finds and in-person service.

The May 2020 fire, which started in the basement, took about 30 firefighters and six hours to put out. Only about 50 items were salvageable out of the shop’s collection of 10,000 items.

It was a total loss, but it was no comparison to the loss of Floyd’s life “and the countless other Black lives lost,” Flesch said at the time.

After the smoke cleared, Flesch and his staff almost immediately started selling what was left on the sidewalk in front of the shop. They eventually moved the shop into a temporary space next door.

Chicagoans rallied around Central Camera’s staff, donating nearly $230,000 to a GoFundMe campaign organized by Flesch’s daughter and an employee. The money helped Flesch rebuild the shop and its inventory.

Flesch remembers a donation for $1,899, commemorating the year the business was founded. As the donations poured in, he was brought to tears, he said.

Flesch said he hopes one day he can personally thank each person who donated.

“‘Wow’ was the most common word I used in the last year … and I still use it. It’s become my mantra,” Flesch said.

More at Link Above