The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV II 50C on 907X, 503CW, and Linhof Techno (YT)

anyone

The cons are that there are no physical zero detents for tilt or rise/fall - the markings are corse but okay - an extra bubble level might be useful, just where to put it can be tricky, I've gotten better at eyeballing it.
Glenn, excellent summary about the Flexbody! One small remark to the bubble level: I used a Novoflex clamp to attach a standard cold-shoe bubble level on the down-right corner of the front standard. I could have also glued it there, but preferred a non-permanent solution. That fixes the problem for me. I also agree to the usefulness of the bubble level in the shift knob. I use the attached bubble level for the front standard, and the bubble level in the shift knob for the rear standard. I also sometimes still double check with the precise bubble level from my large format camera hold against the rear standard.

Attached a quick picture of the cold shoe bubble level.

flexbody.jpg

The best place for the bigger, precise bubble level on the rear standard I found is to press it against the metal bar below the back. Hard to explain, probably it's better visible on the picture below.

flexbody2.jpg

Edit: I use a Phase One back on the Flexbody.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
@ anyone

You could also use the levelling function in the CFV II 50c . I think it is as precise as using bubble levels , which I did in the past with my ALPA .

anyone

@ anyone

You could also use the levelling function in the CFV II 50c . I think it is as precise as using bubble levels , which I did in the past with my ALPA .
I am one of the rare species using a Phase One back with V-mount. No levelling function here... but that makes the flexbody even more usable with thw CFV II 50c.

anyone

And then there is the Hasselblad Arc Body with its dedicated lenses...
Not sure if the Arc Body is really a tool for the digital age. I never had the pleasure to use one, but the Grandagon 35mm and 45mm (non-Hasselblad-version though) do not have the best reputation for digital use. But I'm sure someone here owns one and can comment?

Shashin

Not sure if the Arc Body is really a tool for the digital age. I never had the pleasure to use one, but the Grandagon 35mm and 45mm (non-Hasselblad-version though) do not have the best reputation for digital use. But I'm sure someone here owns one and can comment?
What has that got to do with spending Godfrey's money? :unsure: Dante's forum was not born out of practicality. I am pretty sure there is something in GetDPI's terms and conditions about that...😎

glennedens

Anyone, what is that nice large bubble level on the rear standard and what clamp did you use on the front standard to hold the hot shoe bubble level - we need part numbers or Amazon links please :)

Kind regards, Glenn

KC_2020

I highly recommend the Flexbody :) I need to get some images posted. I've been doing limited testing with the 40FLE, 50FLE, 80, 100, 120, 135 (interesting combo), 180 and 250 indoors (weather is just turning). Haven't decided on the final lens selection yet, been lucky to borrow CF lenses that I didn't already have to try out. It 'seems' the best bets are the 50IF, 80, 100 and 180. Until I get outside it is too early to tell.

As you all probably know there are two versions - the older Flexbody/CP and the newer Flexbody. The older version has the bubble level inset into the rise/fall knob and the newer version has the bubble level inset into the removable ground glass viewfinder frame (also that frame allows one to swap focusing screens - the older version is fixed). With the CFV50iic the older version is more useful in my opinion since the bubble level is on the body.
I saw Ian's video on the CFV II 50C / 907X the day he posted it and found his results encouraging to say the least. I can afford one in a couple of months but will have to start with my 503, 40FLE, 60 CF, 100C T* and 150 CF and 180 CF. XCD lenses to follow.

Then I read your post on the Flexbody yesterday. I just purchased a Flexbody/CP based on your comments. I'm curious what distinctions made the 50IF, 80, 100 and 180 your 'best bets' ?

Yes, resistance is futile. I will forever be driving a well used car but it'll have a nice Hasselblad system and Broncolor lights in the trunk 😁

Last edited:

anyone

Anyone, what is that nice large bubble level on the rear standard and what clamp did you use on the front standard to hold the hot shoe bubble level - we need part numbers or Amazon links please :)

Kind regards, Glenn
The clamp comes from the Novoflex Photo-Survival-Kit ( https://www.novoflex.de/en/669.html ) - the whole kit is only suitable for lightweight items, but beautifully crafted and highly recommended. I guess you can buy the clamp separately too.

The bubble level I got from a photographer friend, so I do not have any source available. I looked into it myself last year to have another bubble level and there seem to be precision bubble levels available in industry supply.

Last edited:

KC_2020

Kind regards, Glenn
Their nearly identical clamp is here