The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CI Impressions of Phase One Dual Exposure + and New Firmware 7 for IQ4

Steve Hendrix

Paul2660

Steve,

Thanks for the excellent write up.

I am extremely happy to see Phase One has worked on the Live View for the 4150 to bring it back to the level of the 3100.

Paul C

Christopher

Sounds like a nice update, however, why does everything take ages?

Why can’t I control exposure with the hard buttons on my Arca? How can it be that the crop bug is still there? Still no adhoc...

Very mixed feelings here.

Steve Hendrix

Sounds like a nice update, however, why does everything take ages?

Why can’t I control exposure with the hard buttons on my Arca? How can it be that the crop bug is still there? Still no adhoc...

Very mixed feelings here.

We agree - and my saying "long overdue" was really putting it mildly. Phase One has a history - like nearly all camera manufacturers - of at times needing to "fix" some things after the launch of a new product. However, the amount of time it took for the fixes containined in firware 7 was well beyond acceptable. And why they have not eliminated the crop frame in this release is beyond me. The hard button control for exposure is more of a feature related to the XT feature additions, rather than a bug fix, , so I don't hold that to the same degree of urgency. Still, would be nice if it was here as well.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

Great improvement for live view. Haven't tried dual exposure yet but am confident it will perform as Steve has posted.

Victor B

dchew

Definitely a great step in the right direction! Did a quick test. Live view is definitely better (thank you Paul and Victor for beating that drum).

The the quick test I did looks like DE+ results are good even compared with 10-image frame averaging. Here is the hotel room scene, SOOC (White Balanced) and +4 Exposure with +100 shadows:

and compared to 5/10 frame average:
3223 standard 100 ISO 0.8 sec
3224 DE+ 100 ISO 0.8 sec
3225 5-image FA 100 ISO 0.8 sec
3226 10-image FA 100 ISO 0.8 sec

Dave

Christopher

We agree - and my saying "long overdue" was really putting it mildly. Phase One has a history - like nearly all camera manufacturers - of at times needing to "fix" some things after the launch of a new product. However, the amount of time it took for the fixes containined in firware 7 was well beyond acceptable. And why they have not eliminated the crop frame in this release is beyond me. The hard button control for exposure is more of a feature related to the XT feature additions, rather than a bug fix, , so I don't hold that to the same degree of urgency. Still, would be nice if it was here as well.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I get it’s not a bug, but why on earth. An I Control use but not exposure? It really shouldn’t take longer then an hour to implant and test it. It’s actually that simple. When I actually talk to real IT people about the IQ4 they just start laughing and can’t believe how long it’s taking. Most of the time the remarks is, they probably have one underpayed or very old programmer working on it....

Paul2660

The Dual exposure feature for me is a huge advantage. This ability is what I had hoped to see from Frame Averaging.

The write up from CI is very good on the explanation of the tool.

It's tragic for me that Phase One can't open up a bit with a NDA, and allow for photographers to have a heads up on features like this, as for me this answers a lot of the needs I wanted. The fact that Phase One never publicly admitted to the Live View issues is a disappointment for me, as I have been complaining about this from day one of ownership and with this firmware the results are just what I had with the 3100, that's really all I had asked for, but never got any forward message that Phase even realized that the issue existed.

But thanks again for this update.

Paul C

dchew

I did notice when shooting in Dual Exposure + mode, the image format that shows in C1 is "IIQ L 16bit, DualExposure+". No "Ex" in the format when shooting DualExposure+. Ex is there for both std and Frame Averaging. That might be by design, IDK. And, since the results are quite impressive I am not sure it matters.

Dave

alajuela

Good morning

I have a question.

On the release notes under "Know Issues" it says • Max ISO is limited to 400 on IQ4 Achromatic.

Is that only for the DUAL EXPOSURE + or is that for evrything no matter what after installing the new software?

Thanks

Phil

Steve Hendrix

Good morning

I have a question.

On the release notes under "Know Issues" it says • Max ISO is limited to 400 on IQ4 Achromatic.

Is that only for the DUAL EXPOSURE + or is that for evrything no matter what after installing the new software?

Thanks

Phil

Phil, that is a typo. It is Max 400 ISO for all IQ4, not just Achromatic. It’s an error from the PR from Phase One.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I get it’s not a bug, but why on earth. An I Control use but not exposure? It really shouldn’t take longer then an hour to implant and test it. It’s actually that simple. When I actually talk to real IT people about the IQ4 they just start laughing and can’t believe how long it’s taking. Most of the time the remarks is, they probably have one underpayed or very old programmer working on it....
Remember the rule, as related by real IT people. Take your estimate, multiply by three, add one, and convert to the next higher units. A one week project will take four months. :grin:

Last edited:

alajuela

Phil, that is a typo. It is Max 400 ISO for all IQ4, not just Achromatic. It’s an error from the PR from Phase One. We’ll edit that to prevent confusion.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi Steve - the 400 Max iso only when using Dual Exposure+?

No iso limitation in "normal" use, ie frame averaging, bracketing, single shot, or time laspe?

Thanks

Phil

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve - the 400 Max iso only when using Dual Exposure+?

No iso limitation in "normal" use, ie frame averaging, bracketing, single shot, or time laspe?

Thanks

Phil

This only when using the Dual Exposure + feature.

Keep in mind that this in the "Phase One Lab" environment, and is essentially a beta. Therefore, some elements of the feature could change before it is determined to be finalized.

Steve Hendrix/CI

alajuela

This only when using the Dual Exposure + feature.

Keep in mind that this in the "Phase One Lab" environment, and is essentially a beta. Therefore, some elements of the feature could change before it is determined to be finalized.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks so much Steve

:thumbs:

One other thing, can you turn the beta off? In other words go in and out of that software environment?

Best

Phil

vjbelle

FWIW.... I have tried Dual Exposure comparing it to a single shot of the same scene and with 100% shadows increase and 2.5 push in exposure there is a dramatic difference in noise when viewing at 100% pixels. The difference also shows a clearly (no pun intended) improved detail level which just jumps out when comparing side by side.

I think I can get rid of my Lee GND filters....:thumbup:

Victor B