The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cloud Storage

bomzi

I am going to be moving to a different country in the next few months and wanted to find a cloud storage solution as a failsafe.
While I intend to carry my external RAID drive (it's not very large) with me on the flight (checked in luggage), my and my wife's (she's an artist) Imacs will travel with the rest of our household goods on a ship.

My thought was to store all our files on the cloud so that we can access them when we arrive at our destination.
This is a little different from an cloud backup which required continuous access to the physical computer. From what I have read, online backups will delete items after a certain time period. For us, the computers will be in transit for at least 2 months.

I hope this makes sense.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

dj may

What do you plan to use to access the cloud files?
It seems accessing files on a drive would be more covenient.

bomzi

I would have all the files on a drive that would be in my suitcase.
The cloud storage would be as a fail safe backup.

dj may

I would send multiple drives to different locations for safety. One can send a drive to a cloud storage provider also.

PSS

I use Pcloud, they have a drive app which means you get an actual HD icon on your desktop which represents your cloud storage. you can upload (use it just like an external drive) sync certain files you might want on more then one Mac (or pc or mobile device) or backup (automatically backing up certain files) or combinations of all the above. it works great is safe and has tons of other features like shared links, galleries,....
of course it all depends on your internet connection or lack of. I have fiber so I get speeds that are easily faster then HD (but obviously slower then ssd) on the road it all depends on coverage. I don't use public wifi and 5G is spotty.
there are other solutions like dropbox or back blaze which work well but do one thing but not the other and none integrate as easily with the finder. you can literally just import, access and export files just like to any external drive. but it all depends on your internet connection speed.