The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparision between Digaron-W 32 mm and Digaron-S 35 mm ( Apo Sironar HR)

Alkibiades

I can see that there are lot of interested guys in a great wide angle lens for technical cameras.
As we all know the first choice for all large sensors ( 53.4 x 40.0mm ) will be Digaron-W 32 mm, that will allow biggest movements at best sharpness and resolution. Also for me is this lens the first choice when I use my large sensor back. But nowadays the little sensors backs ( 43.8 x 32.9mm ) became more and more interesting in terms of costs and flexibility. Hasselblad, Phase one and leaf with Sony CMOS 50 megapixels ( and I hope sun 100 megapixels) are great tools that dont really need the big and very expensive Digaron -W lens and works perfect with the little brother Digaron-S 35 mm ( known earlier as Apo Sironar HR).
Having both lenses I made a little comparison of these lenses on a Phase one 250 back with 50 MP.
My Digaron-W is mounted on Cambo WRS, my Digaron-S on Linhof techno.
I will try to upload the files and hope that it help by serching for the right lens ...

Alkibiades

first Digaron-W 32 mm, 8 mm shift, raw, LCC, corrected, detail 100%. no sharpenig, standart capture one exported as Tiff and scale to jpg in PS.

Attachments

Alkibiades

I forget to mention that no distorion correction have been made and I used aperture 11 on both, this is what I use in my architecture shots most to get all sharp when movents are
necessary. Here is a shot with the 35 mm where you can see that the angle of the lens is great on the 33x42 mm sensors, not too wide but wide enougt to catch the most subjects.

Attachments

TheDude

Alkibiades,
since you took and looked at all the photographs, what is your informed opinion?
Wonder how far one can shift the 35mm Digaron-S on a 54x40mm sensor and still get acceptable results?

Alkibiades

Alkibiades,
since you took and looked at all the photographs, what is your informed opinion?
Wonder how far one can shift the 35mm Digaron-S on a 54x40mm sensor and still get acceptable results?
My opinion:
According to the usement with the smaller sensor 33x44mm both lenses delivery
nearly same results and the 35 HR allows quite big movement without decrease in image quality.
It is smaller and much cheaper, therefore a great deal.
For the big 54x40 mm I always used the 32HR becouse I know that the 35 HR with much smaller image circle will not allow bigger movements, I think max 7mm. But I can try to test the 35HR on my big back and let you know my results.

Alkibiades

Is 8mm the maximal shift for the 35HR on the 33x44 Sensor?
No, afcourse not.
I get this question from few guys now so I test today the max shift.
I will add the pics today.
The max shift will be 15-16 without any Degradation! no soft edges like at Schneider lenses or 35 mm shift lenses from Canon/ nikon, that I also use on my Sony for fast and easy work.

Alkibiades

here the LCC files.
I have made a little mistake, the front standart of my camera was not putting on 0, I have seen it on the pics, that the camera is not centered,
the front standart of my Linhof techno was moved 2 mm to left, therefore the black corner on the right.

Attachments

Alkibiades

here the pics with 15 mm shift- now the camera is right centered.
my conclusion- I hope is good to see on the pics-the lens work well even at 15 mm shift. there is no visible degradation in sharpness or color. the extem corners are still very sharp, the LCC can remove the color cast very well.
So for the 33x44 mm sensors the lens play in their own class, deliver simply best quality.
I will make later some test with the big sensor back- but for this big sensor the 32 HR will be the king afcourse.

Attachments

rdeloe

This is a very helpful comparison Alkibiades. Thanks for doing all the work to make this available to us.

TheDude

For the big 54x40 mm I always used the 32HR becouse I know that the 35 HR with much smaller image circle will not allow bigger movements, I think max 7mm. But I can try to test the 35HR on my big back and let you know my results.
The 70mm coverage circle stated by Rodenstock (which would give 2mm movement on 54x40mm) may be just a "guaranteed' minimum. May have left a bit more on the table? Max. 7mm would be great.

Alkibiades

The 70mm coverage circle stated by Rodenstock (which would give 2mm movement on 54x40mm) may be just a "guaranteed' minimum. May have left a bit more on the table? Max. 7mm would be great.
I have done the test shots on the big sensor:
- I would say 7 mm shift are guaranteed.
- at 10 mm you see the end of the image circle and the edges stay dark. If you make classic architecture shots with the sky, so it would not be big problem, you simply use the stamp tool in Photoshop.
There are no problems with the color cast at all.

TheDude

here are the pics made with the big sensor: 54x40mm .
first 5mm shift, than 7 mm shift and 10 mm shift.
7 mm works perfect.
Thanks, very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

We all know that the 32HR is optically in another league than the 35HR but also also twice as heavy, bulky, and expensive - and even second-hand almost as expensive as new!