The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparison between Digaron-SW 5,6/90 mm vs Apo Sironar Digital/ Sinaron Digital/ Digaron-W 5,6/90 mm

Alkibiades

For that I use a Cambo WRS mounted Digaron - SW afcourse with Cambo WRS body and Sinaron Digital 5,6/90 mm that is simply Sinar selected Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital- at last renamed to Digaron - W HR on the Linhof Techno.
The back is the Phase one 250 with 50 MP, that have the same Pixel density as the bigger 100 MP sensor.
That means that the results are for both 100 and 50 MP backs the same, also the same for phase one, leaf, Hasselblad, Fuji and others who use Sony sensors.
The Digaron SW is the latest lens and cost now about crazy 7000 -10 000 euro or even more ( depends on camera system). Its is hard to find used, and even than cost a lot.
The Digaron-W/ Sinaron-Sironar digital is the predecessor and can be found used for about 1000 euro.
So the price difference is extremly huge. The new one for most people simply too expensive, so the question is can the old one still be used with new high resolution backs with100-50 MP ?

Alkibiades

now with 15 mm shift.
- at Aperture 5,6 ( wide open) the 15 mm shift is possible, but you see that the corners are little soft
- at Aperture 8 you get extremly sharp corners, the details are much sharper, it cant be better than this.
- at aperture 11 pretty the same results- absolutly sharp.
- at 16 still good but you see that you loose some details, litlle softness- diffraction. but still usable.

Attachments

Alkibiades

now 20 mm shift.
more is not possible on Cambo WRS.
the results are similar to previous:
- even wide open at 5,6 the results are usable, corners have little softness.
- at Aperture 8 the results are excellent,the sharpness in the cornes cant be better
- at 11 the same results
- at 16 still great, the diffraction start to decrease the sharpness of details a bit, but still very good.

Attachments

Alkibiades

now the older Digaron-W-Apo Sironar digital-sinaron digital.
here aperture 5,6 and 8.
surprisingly the sharpness wide open at aperture 5,6 is already exellent, in the center and in the corners.

Attachments

Alkibiades

I think the old 90 mm perform also extremly well.
even at 5,6 is the lens very sharp, also in the corners.
shiftet with 20 mm at 5,6 the corners are soft, become sharper at 8 and really sharp at 11.
at aperture 16 the corners look even better, the degradation of the sharpness becouse of the diffraction is not so visible like on the new 90 mm.
not bad for this lens I think.
This is afcourse a test only, in the field you might use the aperture that you need for your special situation. mostly the depth of field will not allow you to use 5,6 or 8 with 90 mm lens. Where you cant use tilt to increase the depth of field you will use 11-16.
The new 90 mm has best performance at 8, the older at 11,5 in my opinion, for real work, not only testing.
I hope my little comparision helps...
there is no issue with color cast with both lenses, I make always LCC, for my all shots, even when it no need for it.
I think the new one dont need LCC at all.

med

Thanks for this comparison! I have been wanting to add a 90mm to my kit for a while and although I have had my heart set on the newer 90 SW, it is nice to see how well the older lens holds up, especially at a fraction of the cost.

Another factor that can’t be understated is that at least for us Arca R users, the SW lens requires carrying and using the “back box” extender which is obviously a PITA.

Geoff

The 90 Digaron W has been a good part of shooting kit for some time. Its a lovely lens - the only issue with it is potential glare - it is very sensitive to side light. Lens shade is highly recommended. Other than that, its a beaut!

Alkibiades

Thanks for this comparison! I have been wanting to add a 90mm to my kit for a while and although I have had my heart set on the newer 90 SW, it is nice to see how well the older lens holds up, especially at a fraction of the cost.

Another factor that can’t be understated is that at least for us Arca R users, the SW lens requires carrying and using the “back box” extender which is obviously a PITA.
You are absolutly right.
Cambo WRS version is also a beast with the box, I must also use a bigger tripod for it...I get so much unsharp shots with longer speeds.
Linhof and the old 90 mm has no problem with it.
no solution is perfect...

Attachments

Reactions: med

anyone

I also use the 'old' version on my Linhof Techno - the performance for landscape is very good. Nice to see it holds its ground also against the newer lens. While the newer lens is better, I doubt I'd see the difference in my prints.

Thank you for making this comparison!

med

Perhaps this is a stupid question but why would two lenses of the same focal length have such vastly different distances to film plane? Is the SW using a retro focus design? Weird for a “normal” lens, no?

Any distortion present on the SW due to the design?

Alkibiades

Perhaps this is a stupid question but why would two lenses of the same focal length have such vastly different distances to film plane? Is the SW using a retro focus design? Weird for a “normal” lens, no?

Any distortion present on the SW due to the design?
it is not a stupid question, you are absolutly right with this sugestion: SW is a retrofocus lens like pretty all Digarons are. The old 90 mm is not. Distorsion is not really visible, the lens is extremly great corrected, but the old 90 mm has no distortion- becouse of the symmetrical design.

Reactions: med

Steve Hendrix

I've generally seen pretty good results - sometimes surprisingly good results - with longer legacy lenses. Shorter lenses, not so much.

Steve Hendrix/CI

anyone

I've generally seen pretty good results - sometimes surprisingly good results - with longer legacy lenses. Shorter lenses, not so much.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I share this observation with one exception: the Apo Grandagon 55mm 4.5 performs IMHO quite well on the IQ1 60.
For the longer lenses, Apo Sironar S 150mm, 180mm, 210mm are all performing well too. Advantage: endless shifting.

Paul Spinnler

Lol - there's two on Ebay - one fro 1000 and one for 1750. I thought these were cheaper. The one with 1000 is now getting 2 views per hour. So I guess it will go soon if the seller does not know about this fantastic blog post. I guess you forever increased market value of the old Rodie 90.