The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D50/160 Monitor profile spec, ISO12646

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just learned this and thought I'd share FWIW...

For years I've profiled my monitor to D65/120CD/m2. I've always felt is was a touch too cool, but used it since that's what "everybody" used. I just bought a new 5K display and my old i1 had failed, so had to buy a new profiling head. While waiting for them I did some research and learn that D50 and a brighter 160 CD/m2 has been adopted as the new ISO standard monitor profile spec. In Googling it, I even found reference where CaptureOne is recommending D50, though with 120 CD/m2. But then I've been in the CaptureOne development workroom in Copenhagen, and it is a fairly dim, color managed environment. Anyway, profiling head and monitor arrived yesterday and I tried it. First thing I notice is it definitely appears warmer, almost brown like bad smog, but interestingly "as shot" WB finally looks like it should to my eyes. Cool, +1 pt. Next, the brightness sounded too bright, but combined with the new warmer white, it seems about the same relative brightness overall compared to D65/120 in my normally lit environment. I may dial it back to 140 or 150, but am going to live with it as is for a few days at least.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For the two of you that actually care about this, I'll share an update ;) I am getting used to it. What I've noticed while editing are the following upsides: 1) better overall skintone rendition; 2) better balance to green and blue hues against reds in landscapes; 3) and then surprisingly, better overall luminosity, shadow and contrast rendition -- all seem little more "linear" if that makes sense. The main downside is gray still looks a little tan, and white looks slightly sepia -- but both were better today than they were yesterday.