The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon FM2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

The D610 also has USB 2.0. That's the chassis the camera appears to be built on, so no surprise. Also, the D4 and the D3X, the Canon 70D, 6D and 5D III all have USB 2.0. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

Well, the standard D800 is in my country 7600 DKK cheaper than the Df :eek: (which equals a 1362 USD difference between the two cameras)

My D800 had USB 3 which made sense for the large D800 files.

(Later on I bought the D800E and sold off the D800, but that's a another story).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Well, the standard D800 is in my country 7600 DKK cheaper than the Df :eek: (which equals a 1362 USD difference between the two cameras)
In that case, I think Nikon DK are a bit optimistic with regards to the potential of the Df. In this country, the price is slightly lower than for the D800.

Swissblad

According to NR sales are not going well.

I wonder if this will be like the Nikon 1, which plummeted by 50% in less than a year (OTA).

If it drops to around 2K, I'll consider it - but not 3K.

V

Vivek

I filled out the Nikon survey and I indicated what would have been appealing to me. It is not just the matter of price.

I am not surprised that the sales are not going well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
According to NR sales are not going well.

I wonder if this will be like the Nikon 1, which plummeted by 50% in less than a year (OTA).

If it drops to around 2K, I'll consider it - but not 3K.
They didn't say that it doesn't sell well. They said that it doesn't sell as well as the D800. Considering the fact that the D800 in many photographer's eyes was a godsend as a cheaper alternative to medium format while the Df is a niche product for a group of photographers who is probably not in a hurry to buy one, this is not surprising.

At a current rate of 100 units per year, the F6 must be the slowest selling camera in Nikon's history. Still, they keep it in production after 9 years. (Or maybe it's some kind of bet between board members involved... ;) ) If that camera is anything to measure success by, I don't think the Df is in danger for a few years yet

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

As far as I recall the enthusiasm about this new coming retro camera far exceeded the enthusiasm about the D800 rumors two years ago.

Right until the Df price was announced.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

As far as I recall the enthusiasm about this new coming retro camera far exceeded the enthusiasm about the D800 rumors two years ago.

Right until the Df price was announced.
Possibly, but the D800 was, and still is, a very useful tool that many photographers need. Nobody needs a Df. It's designed for those who like it enough to pay whatever it costs.

I need neither a D610 nor a Df, but I would like to have a Df anyway, since I like it. The fact that it's much more expensive than the D610 doesn't matter to me, since I probably wouldn't buy a D610 anyway. I'd rather save a couple of months more and buy the Df which I don't need, but would like to own and use.

But that's me... :loco: