The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Double exposures on D810

JohnBrew

The last two times I went out I came back with two or more double exposures. How is this even possible?
I attach an example.

Attachments

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have not looked yet, but seem to recall this is one of the jpeg creative options. You should have two independent raw files for those images.

JohnBrew

Thanks, Jack. I'll have a look through the menu's. This would be strange, especially since I've never intentionally shot a JPEG.

Okay, I just ran through the menu's and didn't find anything out of order. However, I have been playing around with the multishot mode a bit and perhaps something is going on after I re-orient the camera from horizontal to vertical? Pretty weird.

Here's another I actually like: straight out of camera, only resized jpeg.

Attachments

JohnBrew

Hi Jack and anyone else following this thread, I think I figured out what is happening. When you turn on the multishot function in the menu and you have the dial set on single shot the multishot stays in that mode and continues the number of shots you have dialed in which would explain the double and triple images. For some reason I believed that you had to turn the dial to continuous for the multishot function to work. So I think you have to assign the multishot to a separate button or turn it off.
This is probably covered in the manual which I have still never bothered to read.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes that's it -- but note it only blends the JPEGS, and not the raws ;)

JohnBrew

Jack, I didn't know it is a JPEG. So if it's a JPEG, why does it open in ACR?

If this should be posted under pp, please feel free to move it.

wattsy

Jack, I didn't know it is a JPEG. So if it's a JPEG, why does it open in ACR?
You can open JPEGs and TIFFs in ACR (at least you can if you right-click on the image in Bridge). I do it quite often with film scans, especially ones from a lab, or I tweak JPEGs created alongside the RAW if I like the look of the colour in the JPEG.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-27-at-21.15.44.jpg

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
If they add some random light leaks, discoloration and flare we can have the world's most expensive Lomo! :ROTFL:

SrMphoto

What is a multi-shot in D810? What/where are JPEG creative options on D810?

Nikon D850/D810 has the multiple-exposure option, an important creative tool, IMO. The resulting image is a RAW or JPG. New to D850 is the option to keep the original exposures as well. Annoyingly, multiple exposure is not possible with Live View.

Some very interesting images have been accidentally created by forgetting to turn multiple exposure off :).

JohnBrew

What is a multi-shot in D810? What/where are JPEG creative options on D810?

Nikon D850/D810 has the multiple-exposure option, an important creative tool, IMO. The resulting image is a RAW or JPG. New to D850 is the option to keep the original exposures as well. Annoyingly, multiple exposure is not possible with Live View.

Some very interesting images have been accidentally created by forgetting to turn multiple exposure off :).
My bad. Of course I meant multi-exposure.