The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Review Forum to Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcubell

I would expect more people from DP Review to find GetDPI in the near future…
I certainly hope that will not be the case. The “culture“ at the MF DPR Forum is/was anathema to the collegial, constructive and well informed atmosphere of the Getdpi MF Forum. The DPR MF forum was a totally Fuji GFX centric environment that was run like a cult that revolved around the Moderator and his "enforcers" and if you didn't drink the Kool-Aid, you were ostracized and banned.

tcdeveau

Looks like that would not be possible as per their copyright on their site.

All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998–2023 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited
just because you throw a copyright notice and other rights reservation language on a website does not mean (a) the copyright is valid; or (b) it’s even enforceable.

As others have noted, copyrights, just like other IP, are jurisdictional and it depends on where the copyright is/are registered, where the potential copyright infringement activity might take place, and the laws of the respective jurisdictions.

assuming Amazon owns DPreview, we also don’t know if their ownership deal includes any potential DPreview IP, which may or may not even be owned by the corporation itself (assuming DPreview has IP assets)

for example, if the DPreview website was copied and put on a server located in an obscure country/location where DPreview/Amazon did not register a copyright for the material, they’re not going to be able to take that content down easily if at all and would not necessarily be violating any laws (especially if the server were located in an area that was not a Bern convention signatory).

also….copyrights require legal enforcement to stop others from infringing upon a copyright, which costs money. I have a hard time believing a corporation would shut down an arm it deemed not profitable, and then spend money without any monetary gain necessarily to protect any IP owned by the company it shut down because of lack of profitability, but, I am not business/economics expert

*not legal advice

Last edited:

buildbot

just because you throw a copyright notice and other rights reservation language on a website does not mean (a) the copyright is valid; or (b) it’s even enforceable.

As others have noted, copyrights, just like other IP, are jurisdictional and it depends on where the copyright is/are registered, where the potential copyright infringement activity might take place, and the laws of the respective jurisdictions.

assuming Amazon owns DPreview, we also don’t know if their ownership deal includes any potential DPreview IP, which may or may not even be owned by the corporation itself (assuming DPreview has IP assets)

for example, if the DPreview website was copied and put on a server located in an obscure country/location where DPreview/Amazon did not register a copyright for the material, they’re not going to be able to take that content down easily if at all and would not necessarily be violating any laws (especially if the server were located in an area that was not a Bern convention signatory)

*not legal advice
Also not a lawyer, not legal advice, but saving things for archival purposes is also treated differently than say, running a cloned dpreview with your own ads or something.

tcdeveau

Also not a lawyer, not legal advice, but saving things for archival purposes is also treated differently than say, running a cloned dpreview with your own ads or something.
ehhh not necessarily in the eyes of US law. The copyright act by statute protects the copyright owner from unauthorized reproductions, and “reproduction” is not necessarily qualified under the statute (so any reproduction for any use could violate copyright)

*not legal advice

Ed Hurst

There are also places where you don't even have to register copyright for it to apply. In those locations, you have it automatically by virtue of creating or owning the work, without needing to assert it.

dj may

I looked at dpr a few years ago, registered and made a few test posts. I did not like it at all. Since I have limited time for online fora, I dumped it. I only look at this forum and one other, which has also become uninteresting.

atanabe

for example, if the DPreview website was copied and put on a server located in an obscure country/location where DPreview/Amazon did not register a copyright for the material, they’re not going to be able to take that content down easily if at all and would not necessarily be violating any laws (especially if the server were located in an area that was not a Bern convention signatory).

also….copyrights require legal enforcement to stop others from infringing upon a copyright, which costs money. I have a hard time believing a corporation would shut down an arm it deemed not profitable, and then spend money without any monetary gain necessarily to protect any IP owned by the company it shut down because of lack of profitability, but, I am not business/economics expert

*not legal advice
Not a lawyer and you have presented a compelling defense on how to circumvent copyright law. But common decency should always come first, ask permission and not forgiveness.

Paul Spinnler

Never understood their forum layout. Struck me as awfully unpractical. The guys doing the youtube videos are nice though. I'd assume they go independent like this Kai guy.

robdeszan

Their reviews were rather objective, maybe too objective, with no incentive for manufacturers to pay premium for honest reviews, unlike some YouTubers who will be more than happy to give a sponsored opinion. Shame about all historical reviews/data. Poof! Gone in a click.

Hope the top contributors will be recognised as assets and will drive traffic with them > Petapixel welcomed Chris and Jordan, let's hope other less visible dpreview employees will be recognised too.

steveash

I think the closure of DP Review reflects the changing industry. It appeared when digital photography was in its infancy and the rate of technical development went off the scale. As this rate of progress slows down I hope we are all starting to think more about the photography and less about the equipment.

I’ve learnt a lot from DP Review and it will be very sad to see this vast resource disappear. I won’t miss the gear obsession, fanatical fanboys, measurebators and trolls. Any mis-step into the comments or forums has long been a toxic experience. Hopefully something more pleasant and constructive will grow in their place.

tcdeveau

Not a lawyer and you have presented a compelling defense on how to circumvent copyright law. But common decency should always come first, ask permission and not forgiveness.
Agreed.

to be clear, I’m not advocating for circumventing nor am I trying to provide a blueprint for circumvention - just trying to point out the limitations of the copyright notice.

there are a lot of misconceptions regarding IP lawon the internet, and, being in the field, I try to educate when possible.

tcdeveau

There are also places where you don't even have to register copyright for it to apply. In those locations, you have it automatically by virtue of creating or owning the work, without needing to assert it.
the same goes for the US, however, copyright law provides advantages for the copyright holder if it is registered with the US copyright office, such as increased damages for infringement.

the idea with registration is that, by registering, you’re providing better notice that you own the copyright. Without registration, and only with the notice, people may not be aware you own the copyright, even if there’s a copyright notice in the material

rdeloe

I'm going to miss the DPReview medium format forum a lot.

I had many wide-ranging and interesting conversations about photography rather than just gear with members over the last few years. We don't do that much here on GetDPI. Olaf tried a few times in other sub-forums, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

I'm also going to miss the enormous, deep technical knowledge of some of the members. Many of those conversations were over my head, but the parts I could follow added enormously to my understanding of how digital sensors work.

Ultimately it's a business decision for the owners, but this is a case where a business decision looks like vandalism. As is usually the case, the people who made the decision are incapable of seeing and understanding what they're destroying.

Status
Not open for further replies.