The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Review Forum to Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj may

I love the way that GetDPI is. Whether that's partly a result of specific others not being here, I have no way of knowing (and no opinion on the subject).
I suspect that the quality of this forum has a lot to do with what and who is not here.

Let the other fora have the fighting , arguing and trolling.

vieri

I suspect that the quality of this forum has a lot to do with what and who is not here.

Let the other fora have the fighting , arguing and trolling.
Indeed. The quality of a forum has as much to do with who is here, as it has with who is not here. I love GetDPI, overall I think it's one of the most civilised photography forum on the net (a couple of rogue members here and there aside ;) ).

Best regards,

Vieri

robmac

Too many moderators treat the forum they're supposed to observe & keep the peace in as their private fiefdom.

They (typically along with a clique of supporters), post far, far too often and usually do so through thinly-veiled snark and a rock-solid belief in their own wisdom. It intimidates new users and drives away those with either no time for such childish BS, or those who've lived long enough to know you can't win an argument with the person controlling the 'off' button. No platform should tolerate it.

vieri

Too many moderators treat the forum they're supposed to observe & keep the peace in as their private fiefdom.

They (typically along with a clique of supporters), post far, far too often and usually do so through thinly-veiled snark and a rock-solid belief in their own wisdom. It intimidates new users and drives away those with either no time for such childish BS, or those who've lived long enough to know you can't win an argument with the person controlling the 'off' button. No platform should tolerate it.
Fully agreed, see here for my view about this: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/dp-review-forum-to-close.74303/post-882713

Best regards,

Vieri

4season

I liked DPR news and reviews, but did not participate in, or follow the goings-on of, the fora.

IMO, one particular challenge for any forum is “chemistry”: Moderators are generally pretty good at keeping discussions civilized, but they aren’t editors, trained to spot members who generate a lot of meaningless, time-wasting content. In fact, I sometimes feel that top contributors of some sites (not this one!) add negative value with their incessant chatter.

Manoli

For those wishing to follow Jim to a new forum, he is now the moderator at this medium format forum. He announced this at DP Review today.
Sadly, Jim Kasson posted this a few days ago.

rdeloe

It is a bit untidy in these early days...

In response to user requests, they did close down the "Fuji Medium Format" forum. It's still there as a placeholder, but with a message to go and post in the Medium Format Forum. People overwhelmingly wanted a non-brand-centric medium format forum.

Knorp

Yeah - DPRevived is still in its infancy or so it seems.
For now DPRforum gets my vote.

nameBrandon

It is a bit untidy in these early days...

In response to user requests, they did close down the "Fuji Medium Format" forum. It's still there as a placeholder, but with a message to go and post in the Medium Format Forum. People overwhelmingly wanted a non-brand-centric medium format forum.
Makes sense, I guess depending on who wanted the Fuji forum.. The Fuji users, or everyone else.. 😂 and at least they didn't try and make "MiniMF" happen. 🤦‍♂️

It looks better in dark mode (via a browser plugin). The brightness is a bit overwhelming.
Thanks. will give that a shot.

rdeloe

Makes sense, I guess depending on who wanted the Fuji forum.. The Fuji users, or everyone else.. 😂 and at least they didn't try and make "MiniMF" happen. 🤦‍♂️
My sense is that they created the Fuji medium format forum without a lot of forethought. Anyway, it didn't last long. I don't like brand-specific forums so I'm happy with the direction the site admins went (one big messy medium format forum).

vieri

Looks like people are moving to either, or both, so I registered on both dprforum and dprevived. I'll see what happens in the days and months ahead.

On a different note, I - as many others - have very little time to dedicate to forum life these days and I wasn't really looking forward to adding TWO new forum to my list, to replace DPR. I definitely wish that promoters of both dprforum and dprevived could have joined forces and offered us one, stronger alternative instead, and I still hope they might do that in the future.

Best regards,

Vieri

Manoli

[DPR] … Their camera comparison tools were unique and invaluable and I used them often. Sad data base and tech behind those tables will be gone forever. Or so it seems.
It now seems not.

Will Deleon

Status
Not open for further replies.