The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Early Alert: Hasselblad CFV-II

fotografz

A birdy told me.

Larger, nicer LCD, new sensor Filter ... other? ... I don't know yet. Same square 16 meg. Same price (I think).

I immediately ordered one. Solves a bunch of stuff I was mulling over.

(Selling my CFV was the only thing I regretted recently, but now, I don't regret it at all : -)

atanabe

No 48x48 sensor??? Don't know if I will upgrade just for the LCD (which is not that great currently) and an upgraded sensor, now if I win the lottery . . . :D

EH21

Hmmm.... I wonder when that will be available and do you know if it will do ISO 1600? I like square format sensors....

Steve Hendrix

Steve

Do you know where specs are published so we can see the differences between versions I and II? Is the version II using the same Kodak sensor?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed

Woody
Hasselblad is notoriously slow at updating their website to keep up with their announcements. I don't see anything there yet.

But as far as I know, you could consider this the same as the original CFV with the exceptions of the new 2.5" screen and the new IR Filter.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

woodyspedden

Thanks Steve

I appreciate the quick response. I have also heard (but what do I really know!) that the sensor is identical so the only change of significance is the display. Albeit larger I hope it is still OLED technology as this is the only technology I have seen where even in high contrast situations you can at least see the histogram. That is all I need from the display in most shooting situations. I will assume that the new IR filter is stronger to eliminate some of the notorious yellow bias of the original CFV (which is pretty easy to get rid of with presets, especially in Phocus

Woody

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve

I appreciate the quick response. I have also heard (but what do I really know!) that the sensor is identical so the only change of significance is the display. Albeit larger I hope it is still OLED technology as this is the only technology I have seen where even in high contrast situations you can at least see the histogram. That is all I need from the display in most shooting situations. I will assume that the new IR filter is stronger to eliminate some of the notorious yellow bias of the original CFV (which is pretty easy to get rid of with presets, especially in Phocus

Woody
The new IR Filter does a better job of minimizing internal reflections, and as a result, will handle direct point light sources much more effectively. It would not have anything to do with any yellow bias, which we have not seen from any of the many Hasselblad solutions that we have sold over the past several years.

Steve Hendrix

fotografz

The new IR Filter does a better job of minimizing internal reflections, and as a result, will handle direct point light sources much more effectively. It would not have anything to do with any yellow bias, which we have not seen from any of the many Hasselblad solutions that we have sold over the past several years.

Steve Hendrix
Nor have I seen any yellow bias in any of the 6 Hasselblad digital backs I've owned on the upgrade path to my current H3D-II/39 ... including a CFV.

woodyspedden

Well CWD I just aquired has definite yellow bias but I am still a novice at using it so I probably just need to play with the WB. It is easy to get the colors back to neutral so it is not a huge deal but very noticeable. Now having said that the files from this back make anything I have ever owned look pale by comparison. Similar rendition to the DMR (which also had a slight yellow bias) but with much more overall pop. Prints beautifully at 22 x 22 which is all I can do with my Epson 7800.

Thanks Fotografz for putting me on this path. I appreciate it.

Steve, do you know if there is an upgrade path to the new IR filter?

Woody

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The CFV BACK definately produces a yellow bias . I have noticed this from the very beginning and I know other users , receiving a yellow bias as well .

When I use an "expodisc" light balance filter for manual white balance setting , or even the new SEKONIC COLORMETER C-500 , I get very much closer to the real white balance setting . But the yellow bias is still there , not as strong as before , but still visible .
Using the auto-color function in PSCS3 two or even three times in sequence , helps a lot , but there is still a yellow bias , especially in metallic surfaces , which normally turnout in medium or light grey . They have definately a yellow bias .

Any help ? ? ?

Regards Jürgen

Steve Hendrix

The CFV BACK definately produces a yellow bias . I have noticed this from the very beginning and I know other users , receiving a yellow bias as well .

When I use an "expodisc" light balance filter for manual white balance setting , or even the new SEKONIC COLORMETER C-500 , I get very much closer to the real white balance setting . But the yellow bias is still there , not as strong as before , but still visible .
Using the auto-color function in PSCS3 two or even three times in sequence , helps a lot , but there is still a yellow bias , especially in metallic surfaces , which normally turnout in medium or light grey . They have definately a yellow bias .

Any help ? ? ?

Regards Jürgen
Jurgen:

Have you ever shot a MacBeth color checker and clicked on the grey square in Flexcolor? If you have, were colors then rendered neutrally or were they not?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Hendrix

Well CWD I just aquired has definite yellow bias but I am still a novice at using it so I probably just need to play with the WB. It is easy to get the colors back to neutral so it is not a huge deal but very noticeable. Now having said that the files from this back make anything I have ever owned look pale by comparison. Similar rendition to the DMR (which also had a slight yellow bias) but with much more overall pop. Prints beautifully at 22 x 22 which is all I can do with my Epson 7800.

Thanks Fotografz for putting me on this path. I appreciate it.

Steve, do you know if there is an upgrade path to the new IR filter?

Woody
Woody:

Please if you could respond to the same question I have posed to Jurgen.

Regarding the IR Filter, if you feel you are getting artifacts that are not acceptable from direct point source lighting, the new IR FIlter might improve this. It is not guaranteed, and you may not even have an issue. But if you truly feel you would benefit from the new IR Filter, I would ask your dealer about an IR FIlter replacement through Hasselblad. If they don't know anything about it, request that they find out.

Understand, Hasselblad does not want every owner of a Hasselbald product to start sending requests in for new IR FIlters - not everyone has the need, and replacing the filter won't necessarily make any difference. As a result, these are handled on a case by case basis. So, if you feel this applies to you, have your dealer make the inquiry. You'll still have to pay for the replacement even if it goes forward.

Steve Hendrix

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Steve

First of all , thank you for responding .

I have no MAC BETH color checker , but what I have and also used for comparison is an "expodisc" white balance filter and a SEKONIC COLORMETER C-500 , set to digital when measuring .

I know , that human beeing have different ability of regarding colors .
But the yellow bias I still can see after a number of "tricky" manipulations in PS is also seen by others .

Alloy and blank metal surfaces are very good candidate to see this yellow bias . I have a shot here from a vintage HASSELBLAD with an aluminium lens barrel and a KODAK hood . Same material .

But even if I would insert the image in this forum , you would not see the bias , because a resolution of 72PPI and a width of 500 pixel looses the image information .

Regards Jürgen

Steve Hendrix

Steve

First of all , thank you for responding .

I have no MAC BETH color checker , but what I have and also used for comparison is an "expodisc" white balance filter and a SEKONIC COLORMETER C-500 , set to digital when measuring .

I know , that human beeing have different ability of regarding colors .
But the yellow bias I still can see after a number of "tricky" manipulations in PS is also seen by others .

Alloy and blank metal surfaces are very good candidate to see this yellow bias . I have a shot here from a vintage HASSELBLAD with an aluminium lens barrel and a KODAK hood . Same material .

But even if I would insert the image in this forum , you would not see the bias , because a resolution of 72PPI and a width of 500 pixel looses the image information .

Regards Jürgen
Jürgen:

My initial response would be that using an ExpoDisk could have any number of color biases, depending on the product you're shooting with. It's not my understanding that an ExpoDisk is working from strictly a particular neutral standpoint.

When I say that I'm not seeing color biases in Hasselblad products, I'm saying when neutralizing with a product designed to read spectrally neutral (or close to it), I am not seeing any color bias, at least none over the whole image and the colors are as accurate, if not more so, as any other product I've sold.

Otherwise, if you are using the daylight canned white balance, shady, etc, you can see biases. If you're measuring color temperature and you're at 5500, and then you set to daylight (which reads 5500 in Flexcolor), it may have a bias, and if so, that could be a situation where your back would benefit from a re-calibration. But its also possible that even re-calibrated, it may not render exactly as the numbers would indicate.

The easiest way to establish non-biased colors is to manually capture a neutral grey card with the camera via the "manual" white balance mode, rather than setting it to "daylight, cloudy, etc".

Steve Hendrix

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Steve

Thanks . I will do some tests in the next days and give feedback .

A) colormeter
B) expodisc filter
C) KODAK grey card .

Regards Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Guy

What is a white balance card ?
That little "stripe type" card which came with the CFV BACK can not really be a white balance card , but it made me laugh . Pherhaps I am wrong here .

On the other side , I get the impression , that my investment into the expo filter and color meter was a extreme waist of money. Hopefully not .

Jürgen