The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ebay

doobs

I've got some stuff accumulated that I would like to sell, but I will never give e-bay, or any other on-line merchant, unfettered access to my checking account. NOT.EVER.GOING.TO.HAPPEN.

When I get off my duff and decide that I want to sell the stuff, I'll probably got Facebook marketplace, or something like that.

biglouis

I have done but I doubt I will use eBay very much. Here in the UK, I've found that several prominent camera shops give you a trade in price which is not far off the ex-fees value you will get off eBay. I've done this a couple of times because it saves the pain of packing and despatching and I could hand over my gear and then walk out with what I wanted in return. I and only used eBay for an item when I feel I have been low-balled for in trade-in.

I sold an item a couple of weeks ago and the main drawback is that eBay are operating as a bank, e.g. they get the cash from the buyer and then invest it like bank float for a couple of days in the overnight market before giving it to you. From Paypal the transfer to a bank here in the UK was pretty much instant.

LouisB

buildbot

I’ve actually had a really good experience with the switch to managed payments, I buy and sell a fair amount of gear on eBay. I am in the US though so perhaps it’s different- I typically see the payout go through the night of shipping something and either get the ACH in my account that same evening or the next day. PayPal was faster (if they didn’t hold your money, which they do randomly!!) but had higher fees in my case.

Godfrey

I've got some stuff accumulated that I would like to sell, but I will never give e-bay, or any other on-line merchant, unfettered access to my checking account. NOT.EVER.GOING.TO.HAPPEN.

When I get off my duff and decide that I want to sell the stuff, I'll probably got Facebook marketplace, or something like that.
The solution to that issue, if you use Ebay or other online merchant sites enough, is to have a separate checking account set up for that specific use. Which is what I've been doing for 28 years now... :)

G

Duff photographer

Here, in Europe, I was threatened with restrictions to my account if I don't adopt ebay's new way of being paid, as well as earlier threats to adopt their Global Shipping scam.

I've ignored all of them, and my account is still in one piece. Paypal is still active. My Global Shipping option is still deactivated. They don't have my bank details (they don't have the legal right to them without my permission). So far, all good.

I'd advice everyone to check their account details and settings to ensure ebay hasn't manipulated anything behind the scenes. Ebay's scamming may vary from country to country depending on your country's trading laws.

Cheers,
Duff

lensbian

Selling on Amazon has always deposited monies into a checking account, and if you collect money via PayPal after a sale, you need a checking account to get the money if you choose not to have a check mailed to you. If you purchase items off eBay, you may not need to assign a checking account, but if you want to sell an item, you will need to assign a checking account to collect the money. Just open a checking account for that reason alone. I understand different banking rules exist around the globe, but my bank here in the United States gives me free checking accounts because I have my pension check directly deposited.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have done but I doubt I will use eBay very much. Here in the UK, I've found that several prominent camera shops give you a trade in price which is not far off the ex-fees value you will get off eBay. I've done this a couple of times because it saves the pain of packing and despatching and I could hand over my gear and then walk out with what I wanted in return. I and only used eBay for an item when I feel I have been low-balled for in trade-in.

I sold an item a couple of weeks ago and the main drawback is that eBay are operating as a bank, e.g. they get the cash from the buyer and then invest it like bank float for a couple of days in the overnight market before giving it to you. From Paypal the transfer to a bank here in the UK was pretty much instant.

LouisB
This is what I have mostly been doing the last few years as well. I buy and sell used gear at a shop here in Bangkok. Local prices can be higher or lower than on eBay, but their fee is reasonable and there are no shipping hassle or shipping cost, at least not for me. Also, there's the environmental impact of shipping used gear by air around the globe.

If there's no market for a piece of gear locally, I sell on enthusiast forums like this, to trusted members. That has so far worked fine for me.