The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVENT ALERT: All about Medium Format

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
As most of you know, the focus of the Medium Format Magazine has never been on gear itself but rather the excellent work produced by some of the best and most successful photographers in the world. Today, for a change, I would like to touch on the subject of gear. There is no question that medium format systems are a major investment for most of us. Therefore, one would assume that such a purchase requires careful evaluation and an emotion-free approach. As we all know, this is not always the case.

Recently I had an interesting conversation with Dave Gallagher of Capture Integration, which specializes in medium format cameras. During our exchange, he mentioned that he sees some cases when people rush to buy a certain medium format camera without considering or trying other available options. As a result, they regret their decision or shoot with gear which is not suitable for the job and/or their requirements. Part of the problem is the way we buy gear. In search of the elusive “deal” online, we rarely have the opportunity to shoot several systems, see how they work, or check out their advantages and disadvantages. We don’t compare files ourselves but rather outsource this important task to YouTube “experts.”

I know because I have made some hasty decisions in the past. What many people don’t know is that there are still some places where you can try different systems, ask questions, request digital files, and make your decision without any selling pressure. Asking for a second opinion is always a great idea when spending thousands of dollars on new gear. So, if you are thinking about medium format, take your time. Make sure to try different systems before you spend your hard-earned money. I am in a similar position right now as I’m considering several options for my own photography. As a guide, we are working on an article to share some tips on how to approach buying a medium format system and how to avoid major and costly mistakes.

In the meantime, Capture Integration is organising a great event with focus on medium format. It is free and I highly recommend it for those of you who are considering medium format or upgrading their current system. I am currently talking to Dave and his team to offer our subscribers some special deals on cameras and lenses. Stay tuned for more info.

Lastly, keep in mind that Capture Integration is supporting this forum so every purchase through them helps us a lot.

Here is the link to a great event - all about medium format. Highly recommended!

https://www.captureintegration.com/the-medium-format-experience/

Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 2.06.07 PM.jpg

Steve Hendrix

Reminder!

On September 30, we held our first Medium Format Experience event featuring Fujifilm, and focusing on the GFX camera system.

Tonight, October 21 @6:30PM EST, we're holding our second event, featuring Phase One. Please join us for this event, we're sure you'll enjoy it.

Along with Dave Gallagher, Brad Kaye and yours truly, we'll have 3 of our clients presenting some of their work and discussing their experience with the Phase One camera systems.

https://www.jasondeweyphoto.com
https://www.weldonbrewster.com
https://www.rodneyloughjr.com

Additionally, we'll have representatives from Phase One participating as well.

Registration link is below.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GRA8b3j5RjeM5-TWWrjq5w

JeffK

I attended it. Was really good. Very informative. I believe they said it was being recorded.

Steve Hendrix

Is the event recorded? And we can watch it another time? It was too early in Asia. 😅

Hi, we finally have the Phase One event recording posted via Vimeo. And for anyone who missed it, the Fuji MFE event is alongside this on the sidebar.

The link is below:

And this Thursday (11/4/21) @6:30 PM EST, we will be hosting our 3rd Medium Format Experience event, this time featuring Hasselblad.

I look forward to seeing you there! (or being seen by you there)

Steve Hendrix/CI

stngoldberg

I enjoyed the video; if phase had continued to allow their newest backs to function with the Hasselblad (Hx) bodies I would gladly upgrade.
‘I have 6 wonderful HC Hasselblad lenses that have deprecated in value but would easily resolve 150 mpx, but I cannot upgrade my 100mpx phase one back
i would love to use the Phase 150mpx back on my Arca Swiss Rm3di, but Phase has limited my upgrade path
stanley

Steve Hendrix

Unfortunately, due to some multiple last minute scheduling conflicts from several participants, we are postponing the Hasselblad edition of the MFE series to December. We will continue with our Leica event, now scheduled for November 17 @6:30PM EST. Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I enjoyed the video; if phase had continued to allow their newest backs to function with the Hasselblad (Hx) bodies I would gladly upgrade.
‘I have 6 wonderful HC Hasselblad lenses that have deprecated in value but would easily resolve 150 mpx, but I cannot upgrade my 100mpx phase one back
i would love to use the Phase 150mpx back on my Arca Swiss Rm3di, but Phase has limited my upgrade path
stanley
It really is a subscription model. They could make it official - pay $15,000/year and get the latest. :oops::rolleyes:o_O