The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experience quality and reliability xcd lenses?

Paratom

I wonder if any of you guys here had any issues with xcd lenses? or sample variation?
There is quite a used market, and most used lenses do not have seen much use.
So I wonder how much of a risk is it to buy used from people you don't know. In case of current 135mm offerings there is still an amount of 800 Euro between discounted new lens and a used one...
I wish Hasselblad offered information, if and when more new lenses will follow. I would hate to buy a new 135 and 6 months later Hasselblad announces a new V-style short tele lens.

Maxx9photo

Here’s my take, I’ve recently sold 5 of my 8 XCD lenses. Main reason is most have not been used as it should.
Sitting in closet for majority of time. That being said, I’ve bought other items so selling them to free up some cash is making sense.
IMHO, no issues at all on XCD lenses I have had. If you buy used, you should have clear disclosure from the seller, if they are simply not as stated, I.e issue on mechanical, cosmetic, etc, then explain to the seller. Hopefully they will accept return.
If you are still not confident buying from private seller then buy from major resellers with warranty offered include return.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My only problem with used XCD lenses (and mine are all 2nd hand) has been the lens hood locking ring. It’s plastic and sometimes is stiff. Nothing has broken, but I’m often worried that I’ll use too much force.
Optically, never a problem.

jng

Another XCD lens I’d recommend (though not Hasselblad) is the TTArtisan 90/1.25. For the money it’s super.
Vince,

How well does the 90mm TTArtisan cover the 33x44 sensor? Is vignetting significant?

Thanks.

John

jng

I wonder if any of you guys here had any issues with xcd lenses? or sample variation?
There is quite a used market, and most used lenses do not have seen much use.
So I wonder how much of a risk is it to buy used from people you don't know. In case of current 135mm offerings there is still an amount of 800 Euro between discounted new lens and a used one...
I wish Hasselblad offered information, if and when more new lenses will follow. I would hate to buy a new 135 and 6 months later Hasselblad announces a new V-style short tele lens.
Aside from a problem with focusing when I purchased the first generation 3.5/45 + X1D 4116 kit when it was first released, I haven't had any issues with any of my XCD lenses since (I never found out whether the lens or body was the culprit, as both were immediately replaced by B&H). My current kit includes the 21, 30, 55V and 90 in addition to the original 3.5/45. Both the 21 and 30 were purchased used from trusted GetDPI members. Of course, one never quite knows the history when purchasing a used lens and the leaf shutters have been known to fail, although it's at least possible to see how many actuations have occurred. As with any purchase at this price, it's prudent to know the seller, ideally with the ability to return the lens if it doesn't meet spec. There's still the risk of e.g. the shutter failing out of warranty, but with low actuation lenses that have been well cared for, this is a small risk I'm willing to take. YMMV.

John

Godfrey

I have four XCD lenses ... 21, 45P, 65, and 90 mm. The 21 and 45P were purchased new, the 65 and 90 second-hand. All have operated flawlessly since I acquired them, and perform beautifully.

G