The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Faking live view in P45+ with a Sony RX100?

AndyPtak

I don't have the budget to upgrade and besides, I love my P45+ back. I'd love to have live view though and I'm wondering if I could mount a little Sony RX100, either in the cold shoe of my camera, or attached to a magic arm in front of the lens and then swinging it away for capture. In the case of the cold shoe I'd have to measure the distance from lens center to lens center and then compensate for capture by raising the tripod center post by that amount. Sounds doable. Is there a catch - or better way? Thanks.

MartinN

Would’t carrying a laptop with Capture One DB and the tethering somewhat like live view be a better option ? Macbook Air Thunderbolt-Firewire400 ?

MartinN

The Thunderbolt first generation Macbook Air is most appropriate ? Maybe 2011-2017 ?

Last edited:

AndyPtak

I'd thought of tethering, but I don't often have a laptop in the field. I'm arthritic and have sciatica so I need to carry as light a kit as possible. (Yes, I am falling apart, but I can still shoot!)

anyone

The P45+ relies on Firewire for tethering and also won‘t have usable live view tethered. Focus checking of captured images works via tethering of course. But it‘s also cumbersome to set up the computer/ tethering for each shot.

AndyPtak

The two main issues I'm trying to address are composition and focus. I was thinking of Alpa rings for focus until I saw the price.

AndyPtak

Cambo Tech cam. By the way, I should have also said that I want to address exposure with the little Sony too. I bracket exposure and focus anyway, but I'd like to be a little more accurate with the brackets.

anyone

I don't know if it's accurate enough for your needs, but you may want to try also a viewfinder app on your phone and mount it to your cold shoe. It helps only with rough framing (but how should the small camera be more accurate?) and exposure though. I know an outdated version of checking focus accuracy is with a ground glass :)

AndyPtak

I have a small, 4" HDMI moniter that works with the Sony and I intend to use for framing etc. The best viewfinder app I know is the Alpa one but it's Apple only and I'm not.

Aviv1887

I used to do the framing with ND filters in my filter holder and remove that when you start shooting. Before that I used a ground glass on my Alpa but must say was a pita but it worked.