The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

dave.gt

After so many years of sharing underwhelming images, this one won't surprise anyone.

For some reason, I had the urge to pull my Aptus II 5 kit out of storage yesterday. It took awhile to find it and the battery charger. It has been more than a year since I last tripped the shutter. Old technology, but like other fat pixel backs, it is still capable of producing some nice quality images. This camera deserves to be in the hands of a more capable photographer, but until then....

Gary

Mr. Frog (again), Aptus II 5, Phase One Df, P1 80mm f2.8D lens, ISO 100, 1/290th at f4
I like this image! Fun subject! Great back! Happy photographer!

You should shoot this back a lot more!(y)

aleazzo

Ok, in the end I got there too. Such as? A long story. In short: after going through several cameras and sensors (Kodak, Nikon, Sigma, Ricoh, Sony, Phase One, Foveon, CMOS, CCD) I realized that, for my work, the latest generation CMOS sensors, especially on mirrorless, are the best choice for now.
But as far as my personal and visual pleasure, it's a whole other story.
Coming from film, in all formats and with different emulsions, the character of CMOS has always seemed flat to me. The first decision was therefore to try CCDs a few years ago. The Phase One P30 + made me quite happy, I partially found those feelings I had forgotten. But then I realized, when reviewing the old images, that not all CMOS were that bad. The Nikon D700, for example, still surprises me today.
At that point I put two and two together: CCD yes, but also fat pixels!
And so I arrived at this Mamiya DM22 (Aptus II 5), which I have been holding since yesterday and which I immediately mounted on the Phase One 645 DF. I hadn't found many samples on the web, so it was just a try. Bingo! The sharpness, the dryness of the detail, that Dalsa colors, the tones, even that slight grain that sometimes creates a perfect mix with the resolution of the sensor: it is the digital that has come closest, in my memory, to not making me regret the film.
Okay, I've seen the incredible resolution and cleanliness of the files in the latest Sony-Phase One 100mp and above MF CMOS sensors, but I don't care much. Plastic fantastic, in my opinion. If what I want is to work at very high ISO (I hardly ever do this), and have a clean file, my mirrorless is enough. But the character of these old CCD backs, that is a rare commodity these days.
Here are the first test shots.
Let's keep this group alive!

DM__003101.jpg

DM__003105.jpg

dave.gt

Ha! These are great images... very natural and sharp.:)

I am betting that no one could actually tell what back you used shooting these and you are correct, they are excellent.

Sometimes, a lot of times, Fat Pixels rule!:)

SahotaR

Ok, in the end I got there too. Such as? A long story. In short: after going through several cameras and sensors (Kodak, Nikon, Sigma, Ricoh, Sony, Phase One, Foveon, CMOS, CCD) I realized that, for my work, the latest generation CMOS sensors, especially on mirrorless, are the best choice for now.
But as far as my personal and visual pleasure, it's a whole other story.
Coming from film, in all formats and with different emulsions, the character of CMOS has always seemed flat to me. The first decision was therefore to try CCDs a few years ago. The Phase One P30 + made me quite happy, I partially found those feelings I had forgotten. But then I realized, when reviewing the old images, that not all CMOS were that bad. The Nikon D700, for example, still surprises me today.
At that point I put two and two together: CCD yes, but also fat pixels!
And so I arrived at this Mamiya DM22 (Aptus II 5), which I have been holding since yesterday and which I immediately mounted on the Phase One 645 DF. I hadn't found many samples on the web, so it was just a try. Bingo! The sharpness, the dryness of the detail, that Dalsa colors, the tones, even that slight grain that sometimes creates a perfect mix with the resolution of the sensor: it is the digital that has come closest, in my memory, to not making me regret the film.
Okay, I've seen the incredible resolution and cleanliness of the files in the latest Sony-Phase One 100mp and above MF CMOS sensors, but I don't care much. Plastic fantastic, in my opinion. If what I want is to work at very high ISO (I hardly ever do this), and have a clean file, my mirrorless is enough. But the character of these old CCD backs, that is a rare commodity these days.
Here are the first test shots.
Let's keep this group alive!

View attachment 176150

View attachment 176151
Like it.

I recently purchased GFX 50s along with 45, 63, 45-100 and 110 lenses but still can not bring myself to put P25 for sale.

mmbma

After 7 years since I started this thread, my CFV 16 finally gave in. Fungus grew right through the middle of the CCD censor below the protective glass after 6 months if inactiveness, and it is too costly for me to repair it (vs. getting another).

So many great images in this thread is encouraging me to hunt for another fat pixel back, but I'm weary given their age and the propensity to breakdown.

MartinN

After 7 years since I started this thread, my CFV 16 finally gave in. Fungus grew right through the middle of the CCD censor below the protective glass after 6 months if inactiveness, and it is too costly for me to repair it (vs. getting another).

So many great images in this thread is encouraging me to hunt for another fat pixel back, but I'm weary given their age and the propensity to breakdown.
Yes, no warranty and improbable to get anything repaired are the negatives with old backs. Still, they are much more affordable than new. I am happy with my P20 square and use that as a point and shoot. However, I have a Leaf Aptus 22 that got bricked due to fw board breakdown, and I have heard of lot of similar experiences so I will avoid anything Leaf in the future.

FloatingLens

cgastelum

I am on the fence, too, whether I should sell my Phase One P20 in Hasselblad V mount now that I use the CFV II 50c... I reckon I should hold on to it?
If you have no need for the money or space I would recomend to keep it. the only issue with those early P backs is the age because of the possibility of the hardware failing... otherwise they are great.

bensonga

It's been awhile since I checked in on this thread. I pulled my 503CW with the CFV-16II out of storage this afternoon. The last time I used it was in 2013, so I was worried that I might find fungus too. So far, it looks ok. Here is a quick test shot I took of the birch tree in our front yard this afternoon.

There are photos posted here that are clearly not taken with Fat Pixel (8-9 micron) digital backs. Oh well.

Gary

503CW, CFV-16II and the wonderful 40mm CFE IF lens.
A0000071 3FR-DNG Our Birch Tree Auto Lvls P1800.jpg

Last edited: