The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finding the right repro setup for Hasselblad 907x

usm

For the Schneider Apo Digitar 5,6/100 mm Arca told me that the closest focus will be 900mm. the smallest object is about 352x264 with my CFVii50c sensor (44x33).
May be the 120mm would be better?!

Godfrey

Is it possible to add a distance ring to a R-mount lens?
Huh? What's a distance ring?
Leitz R-mount lenses usually have a focusing ring with distances marked. Or are you referring to some other R-mount?

G

usm

I was thinking about extension tubes to reduce the close focusing distance for the Schneider Apo Digitar 5,6/100 mm after converted to Arca R-mount.

jng

I’m not familiar with Arca but if they have rear spacers for the digital back you could accomplish the same result.

If your question about the 120 pertained to the Hasselblad lenses, maximum magnification is 1:5; greater magnification is easily accomplished using extension tubes of various lengths, which are pretty inexpensive and easy to find on the used market. I currently have 21mm, 32mm and 55mm extension tubes in my collection, and use them both individually and stacked in combination.

John

Last edited:

usm

Narrowed it down to two options:
The SK Apo-Digitar 100mm an the Zeiss Planar CF 100mm.

If I am right, these are both flat field lenses, so they’re both good for flat art-photography. At f11 they should be equal regarding sharpness from corner to corner. If I buy the Arca R lensplate for the V system they both work on my Factum with 15mm shift. With both I can go closer with extension boxes or rings.
Also the price is similar with the adapters, maybe the Hasselblad is turning out a little higher than the SK with conversion.
Just the Hasselblad seems a little bit more flexible because it can be used with the x-to-V Adapter as a regular lens on the 907x.

Is the image quality the same? Which one would you prefer and why?
Have to find the right question for my decision...

Thanks
Mario

jng

Narrowed it down to two options:
The SK Apo-Digitar 100mm an the Zeiss Planar CF 100mm.

If I am right, these are both flat field lenses, so they’re both good for flat art-photography. At f11 they should be equal regarding sharpness from corner to corner. If I buy the Arca R lensplate for the V system they both work on my Factum with 15mm shift. With both I can go closer with extension boxes or rings.
Also the price is similar with the adapters, maybe the Hasselblad is turning out a little higher than the SK with conversion.
Just the Hasselblad seems a little bit more flexible because it can be used with the x-to-V Adapter as a regular lens on the 907x.

Is the image quality the same? Which one would you prefer and why?
Have to find the right question for my decision...

Thanks
Mario
According to the published mtf charts the Zeiss 100 Planar is flat field but data are only shown for infinity focus. I'm not sure this would hold at close focusing distances as the lens was not designed with macro use in mind. Conversely, according to the published data the 120 Makro-Planar is flat field at close focusing distances but not at infinity focus.

What are the dimensions of the pieces you intend to photograph? FWIW, according to the spec sheet for the 100 CFi Planar (which is optically identical to the CF 100 Planar), the 120 Makro-Planar is recommended for pieces < 1 square meter.

John

usm

According to the published mtf charts the Zeiss 100 Planar is flat field but data are only shown for infinity focus. I'm not sure this would hold at close focusing distances as the lens was not designed with macro use in mind. Conversely, according to the published data the 120 Makro-Planar is flat field at close focusing distances but not at infinity focus.

What are the dimensions of the pieces you intend to photograph? FWIW, according to the spec sheet for the 100 CFi Planar (which is optically identical to the CF 100 Planar), the 120 Makro-Planar is recommended for pieces < 1 square meter.

John
Thanks John.

I would say that the pieces are between A4/letter size and up to paintings like 9 square meters. If I there is a lot smaller stuff like slides or little porcelain things I would loan/buy a 120 Macro (SK, HC, XCD or V).
How is the SK Apo-Digitar 100mm at closer focus distances? I can’t compare the mtf charts:
74A89CA8-B27B-44CE-A86E-15D67E32CBAB.jpeg0756C607-9F6E-45DC-9DED-DD7780405080.jpeg
Mario

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hmm. I guess the admins removed my post, which provided extensive technical information on the questions posted to this thread.

My understanding was I was still welcome to participate on this forum, so long as I didn't link to any of our products or services, and my recollection is I did not.

usm

Hmm. I guess the admins removed my post, which provided extensive technical information on the questions posted to this thread.

My understanding was I was still welcome to participate on this forum, so long as I didn't link to any of our products or services, and my recollection is I did not.
Emailed you.

usm

Just got an offer for a XCD 90mm lens...
Any thoughts about this lens for repro-stuff?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Disregard. I had confused this post (where I did not reply) with the same post made on Luminous (where I did reply). Apologies.

Godfrey

Just got an offer for a XCD 90mm lens...
Any thoughts about this lens for repro-stuff?
I have it: it's a lovely, sharp performer. But I've not tested it for performance in anything like a repro setup. It's minimum native focus is 0.7m, so the highest native magnification is around 1:5.6 ... a subject field of 186 x 248 mm, approximately. (A US Letter-sized sheet of paper is 216 x 279 mm approximately.)

G