The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Forum Software Upgrade

glennedens

Olaf, thank you so much for dark (moon) mode!!!!!

Compact form is probably not the best choice of words (although some web sites and Mac OS X applications use that term) - when reading forum posts there seems to be more "empty" or white space (dark space in moon mode) around each message, above and below - so I see fewer messages in my browser window than before - it is subtle and I've not gotten a ruler out to verify if it is real or perceptual?

Kind regards, Glenn

Thank you for your feedback. What do you mean by "compact form"? The form hasn't changed much. Also, please keep in mind that we will be introducing some minor changes as we go. We just completed the first phase of our migration.

Godfrey

The dark mode is a nice alternative, useful sometimes for me: thank you! Other options a little less significant but occasionally useful too.
You folks are doing splendid work!

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Dark mode has a strong color-cast.
WAAAY too greenish-blue. the lighter areas measure 49/52/58
images appear strange once the eye has acclimated to the background.
thanks
-bob

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
most folks seemed to prefer newest first in the recent past.
thanks
-bob
Appreciate your feedback. There are good arguments on both sides. Most modern forums are done in a chronological order to make sure conversations remain on topic. There are some tools which allow you to jump to the latest post. We are looking into this issue to make most people happy.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Dark mode has a strong color-cast.
WAAAY too greenish-blue. the lighter areas measure 49/52/58
images appear strange once the eye has acclimated to the background.
thanks
-bob
Thank you for reporting. It shouldn't be the case but I will look into it.

anyone

Can the dark version be the default? I am switching between tablets, phone, laptop, and am not always logged in, so I often see the page at least first in the bright color scheme.

Also another thought is whether there is really a need for that many sub forums. Not every medium camera manufacturer got their own, probably the same would do also for smaller formats? Just a suggestion, it doesn‘t bother at all to also leave it as is.

Thank you!

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Can the dark version be the default? I am switching between tablets, phone, laptop, and am not always logged in, so I often see the page at least first in the bright color scheme.

Also another thought is whether there is really a need for that many sub forums. Not every medium camera manufacturer got their own, probably the same would do also for smaller formats? Just a suggestion, it doesn‘t bother at all to also leave it as is.

Thank you!
Great points! Indeed, we also think there are too many sub-forums and we are working carefully to eliminate some. We are also adding a major no-gear related section. It is work in progress. In regards to the dark vs. light version - let me look into it. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate your feedback. There are good arguments on both sides. Most modern forums are done in a chronological order to make sure conversations remain on topic. There are some tools which allow you to jump to the latest post. We are looking into this issue to make most people happy.
Part of the issue is how often a given member tracks the forum.
There is a core group that is on daily, so they are very aware of the conversation flow and seek to find the latest news quickly.
Others might find the other way more useful.
That is one reason we set it up so that users could pick their poison.
thanks
-bob

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Part of the issue is how often a given member tracks the forum.
There is a core group that is on daily, so they are very aware of the conversation flow and seek to find the latest news quickly.
Others might find the other way more useful.
That is one reason we set it up so that users could pick their poison.
thanks
-bob

Great point Bob. As discussed, we will be putting a lot of resources into growing the forum and I expect many new members. As a relatively new member myself I find it easier to read threads from the beginning. I also noticed how some very long threads completely changed the topic making it difficult to follow. As some people jump years after the initial post, it turns into a totally different thing. We are having a very intense conversations about finding ways to avoid such a monster, multi-year threads. We are rethinking everything to make sure the forum grows and thrives for many years in the future. Eventually we may build some custom tools to allow members to set it up to their own preference.

TimoK

Is it possible to set the dark theme as default and light as alternative. Every time I open gdpi I have to push moon icon to get dark site. And I do!

Godfrey

A minor bug: The reply button that gives you the option to include quotations from more than one post to which you might want to reply seems to either not work at all or needs to be used differently from just clicking it on every post you want to include a quotation from. No matter how I've tried to use it so far, I only get the quotation from the message that I click the reply button on.

G

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
A minor bug: The reply button that gives you the option to include quotations from more than one post to which you might want to reply seems to either not work at all or needs to be used differently from just clicking it on every post you want to include a quotation from. No matter how I've tried to use it so far, I only get the quotation from the message that I click the reply button on.

G
Thank you for pointing this out. @SimonW should be back on Monday and will look into it.

M

mjr

I might not be understanding right but as it currently is, when you click on a thread title, it takes you to where you left off so you then continue with the flow of the thread, following through answers in their posted order until you get to the end. This seems like the only logical way to me, acknowledging that it's just a single view. If it jumped straight to the very latest post, don't you have to scroll back to wherever you remember reading up to, then carrying on forward again? It doesn't really matter I suppose but personally, the way it is now is great.

Mat

Reactions: jng

dave.gt

I might not be understanding right but as it currently is, when you click on a thread title, it takes you to where you left off so you then continue with the flow of the thread, following through answers in their posted order until you get to the end. This seems like the only logical way to me, acknowledging that it's just a single view. If it jumped straight to the very latest post, don't you have to scroll back to wherever you remember reading up to, then carrying on forward again? It doesn't really matter I suppose but personally, the way it is now is great.

Mat
Oh, if only it did work that way. It doesn't for me on my old iPhone. To check what you said, I went to the ever-popular Fun with MF Images thread and every time I have to start with post #1 in 2008.

Progress on this site is really moving along.... as with most things that last period of time troubleshooting and finalizing a major overhaul is the most difficult.

It is giving me a headache. So, I will bow out and refrain from recommending any more changes.:)

I am flexible, whatever the final results, I can certainly live with them! Thanks to our new Admin for all the hard work.:)

• Thanks
Reactions: spb

Godfrey

When I'm picking a thread to read out of the ones I've subscribed to, I always just click on the link to the last page. Then I use the End key on my keyboard to take me to the bottom of the page, and Page Up until I get to the last post I read, or maybe a couple before that so I remember what the conversation was about. It's fast and easy. :)

G

jng

Mat
I agree 100%. Hopefully Olaf et al. can accommodate those who prefer viewing content within the threads in both chronological and reverse-chronological order (other sites provide both options - not sure what's required under the hood to do this). However if I were to choose, it would be the way things stand at present, for sure!

When I'm picking a thread to read out of the ones I've subscribed to, I always just click on the link to the last page. Then I use the End key on my keyboard to take me to the bottom of the page, and Page Up until I get to the last post I read, or maybe a couple before that so I remember what the conversation was about. It's fast and easy. :)

G
Yes, this is what I often find myself doing as well. There are several ways to navigate that suit my, er, proclivities...

John

docholliday

A suggestion: make the unread threads not just bold (as currently), but maybe with a slight color tint (or other embelishment) to make them easier to see, especially in dark mode. The bold is great, but the font is sometimes hard to differentiate the actual "new, unread" messages from others based on font-weight.