The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FRAUD ALERT, Joshcasper and DiazGuadalupe

drewharty

I posted a WTB Rodenstock HR Diagaron 100mm ad and had a response from joshcasper indicating his friend Diaz Guadalupe <[email protected]> had one to sell.

I corresponded with Diaz about the lens and sale. He had knowledge about the lens and other related photographic equipment. I was suspect of the deal, but after talking with my credit card bank, I decided to play the odds and complete the sale. After making the payment, Diaz Guadalupe has disappeared and stopped responding to emails. I am in the process of completing a charge back.

Joshcasper and DiazGuadalupe, or people using these names, had a scenario worked out and had very likely done this before.

Drew Harty

winetu

They had tried this with me too, but I didn't even responded.
Sorry about your damaged.Hope you will get the money back.

f8orbust

Maybe it should be a rule that anyone responding to a WTB thread has to do it publicly by posting in the thread itself in the first instance, even if it's only a simple 'PM sent'.

a5m

Good thing you talked with the issuing bank first. Hopefully the charge will get reversed.

It always blows my mind there are people out there who have no problem with robbing people of their hard earned money...

drewharty

Thanks everyone for the replies to my post.

Fraudulent seller and buyers can't exist long in a community were people communicate.

I would much prefer to assume that not every seller or buyer is out to steal from you.

Drew

winetu

I found another one that replied through pm to my ad:

"Schneider Kreuznach 110mm f/2.8

Hello

are you still interested in buying this items?

contact me via [email protected],As soon as i hear from you,i will email you some photos and details

best regard "

His name: canoman
Registered the same day I posted the ad.

tcdeveau

I found another one that replied through pm to my ad:

"Schneider Kreuznach 110mm f/2.8

Hello

are you still interested in buying this items?

contact me via [email protected],As soon as i hear from you,i will email you some photos and details

best regard "

His name: canoman
Registered the same day I posted the ad.
I got a similar message from that same user regarding a Nikon 24-70 2.8S

shlomi

When one person is saying there is another person, that's a red flag.
Don't do business on this website with anyone who doesn't have their own photographic website where you can verify who what and where they are.
Pay only via PayPal, which supports you in case of fraud.
Going by the content of the emails is good, but you should also be very mindful about any typing or grammatical errors which are telltale signs of crooks.
I would never send money to someone calling themselves "Diaz Guadalupe" - that name sounds fake to me.
I've been buying and selling online for 20 years, many crooks tried me. Many.
I wish I could say I never fell for it.
The only times they were able to get me, is when they used PayPal/eBay/Amazon loopholes that I hadn't noticed, for instance, if I send an item back without tracking, and they pretend they never got it. As long as you stick to the rules, they can't get you.

Gbealnz

No argument with any of this, but in my own selfish way I find it hard enough as it is to get a toe hold, without these sort of scams making it more difficult.

Coming from a quiet back-water means sites like this (and RFF plus FM) the best way of securing some of my gear, and not everyone has a website, nor does video conferencing. I for one haven't.

While a long term member of the great auction site, I seldom sell there now.

I agree though, the small tight-knit community spirit normally means these leeches are eventually flushed.

Gary