The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD (Can/US) Hasselblad H5D-40 US$2500

robmac

I won't go into all the tech details, as if you're looking at this ad, you know what you're looking at/for. My main camera, now 2nd body. An ex-CPO unit in very clean shape (see below).

A strong benefit of the H5D body with the 40 MP CCD back (vs. the older H4D-40 or H3x) aside from the extra speed and others, is the ability to set the camera to draw power from the battery while tethering - avoiding the hair-pulling tethering issues so common with the H4D and power delivery from laptops. It is one of the handful of H bodies take can be used with a film back.

Operation has been faultless. Has never so much as thrown an error code nor failed to perform. Some minor cosmetic signs of use.

Body
-----

~45.8K activations
Minor signs of handling
HVD-90x VF
One strong 3200 mAh battery
One older 1850 mAh battery good for Oh, F*** use only.

Back
-----

40 MP CCD. no operational issues all
LCD in nice shape
FW800 port * CF slot issue-free

The sensor two minor caveats - which the price reflects:

LCD has a magenta bias. JUST the LCD.

You can adjust temp, but not tint on these rear LCDs, and this one has a not uncommon magenta tint. Images are unaffected. When you take a shot and the preview pops up, the CB is fine, but 1-2 seconds later (almost as if it's finishing processing something), it flips to a magenta-bias on the display (and display only). Jpegs (and RAW files of course) are fine.

If the back gets hot from a long day of use, especially in the sun, it will start to periodically show three of the single-pixel column read errors so prevalent among CCD backs.
A simple single-column 'content aware fill' adjustment in PS fixes them, but they can happen, albeit rarely, when the back gets heavily used. Of the thousands of pics I've taken with this camera, I've maybe seen them 12 or so times. Ex: Took a doz images yesterday outside, nothing. But, full disclosure... Hasselblad estimated US$750 to map them out in Sweden, but since a CCD back can get them at any time (even on the plane back), it made little economic sense.

Attached is a sample jpeg image taken this am straight from camera to show there is no effect of the LCD tint on images nor were there any CR errors.

Not shown but included: two Hassy FW cables, FW800-TB adapter, spare battery, two (2x) battery chargers, CPO box, the various sensor and VF covers, strap, etc. Note, no marks on focus screen, just reflections from ceiling light. Lens and arca plate not included.

The price kills me, but for a lucky buyer it's a complete H5D-40 kit for the price of a used H5D only. If I could tether it to an iPad, I'd be keeping it. The H-series handling is sublime.

Price is US$2500, payable by EMT or PP (add 3%). Shipping at cost based on Canada Post online estimate.

Attachments

Last edited:

robmac

Up and adjust and addition of sample jpeg from camera showing no effect of magenta tint and no visible column read errors.

Last edited: