The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100S priced at $5999

gerald.d

I've been musing on this pricing for the GFX100S and wondering just how Fuji might be able to deliver it.

On the face of it, a $4K discount on the GFX100 less than two years after that camera's introduction (announced May 23rd 2019, on sale the following month) seems to be a massive drop, but I reckon there may be more to it than the single leaked price so far.

Back at the Fuji X-Summit at Dubai's Gulf Photo Plus event in February 2019, Fuji showed off a modular concept camera based on the GFX system.

Fuji-modular-GFX.jpg

I'm sure I couldn't have been the only one to be really excited by this prospect, although sadly I doubt that this is what we are going to be seeing unveiled at the end of the month, since the 100S has merely been described as "a bit smaller" than the 50S.

Both the 100 and the 50S (like the modular concept) have removable viewfinders. Not only that, but the EVF module from the 50S (which is of lower resolution that that of the 100) can be used on both cameras. It doesn't look like it is possible to purchase either of the existing cameras without the EVF, but IF it were to be offered separately, I would imagine it would probably cost something in the $800-$1k ballpark (as a comparison the EVF tilt-adapter alone costs $570).

The other obvious modular option (and differentiator from the 100) would of course be a vertical battery grip. 100 has it built in, 50S it is an optional extra priced at $600. And that's without the battery, which is an additional $90.

So there's $1500-$1700 of "savings" right off the bat. Long way to go, admittedly, but it closes the gap somewhat.

Some may baulk at the thought of having to pay extra for an EVF, but of course folks round these parts know different, having enjoyed shooting with our MFDB's on tech-cams, or in studios tethered, or even outdoors with our 907X's.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Satrycon

the GFX100s looks quite nice in the leaked pics..

specs are quite good too.

"Sitting at the heart of GFX 100S is a newly developed shutter and In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) system that helps ensure you always make the most of the extreme resolution of the camera’s 102MP imaging sensor. While reduced in size, compared to their counterparts in GFX 100, both elements offer incredible performance, with the new shutter capable of 5fps continuous shooting and the unique, five-axis IBIS now working in conjunction with GF Lens Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to provide up to 6 stops of correction. With an advanced phase detection autofocus (AF) system, GFX 100S spearheads a whole new era of large format digital camera systems. An updated autofocus algorithm brings subjects into focus in as quickly as 0.16 sec, even in light levels as low as -5.5EV. This extraordinary performance is strengthened by the presence of phase-detect autofocus pixels across nearly 100% of the frame, resulting in complete precision regardless of where the subject is. Combined with responsive tracking and reliable Face/Eye Detection, use Pixel Shift Multi-Shot to create ultra-high resolution 400MP stills with remarkable detail. In video mode, record 4K/30p footage in 10-bit F-log or 12-bit ProRes RAW"

Paul2660

Strange they only gave it the 14 bit raw option. I realize the issues around real 16 bit, but since the camera uses the same sensor, why not give it the same raw options?

And it takes the smaller X series battery from the XT-4, maybe not that big a deal, for new owners, but current GFX owners, 50S or 100, it means once again two types of batteries to keep up with.

Paul C

JeRuFo

The gains of 16-bit were probably so small that it wasn't worth processing and moving around all that data when you already have a much smaller body or the gains were mitigated by heat build up.

tcdeveau

Strange they only gave it the 14 bit raw option. I realize the issues around real 16 bit, but since the camera uses the same sensor, why not give it the same raw options?

Paul C
I imagine some of it has to do with them probably wanting to sell more of the bigger GFX100's. They've gotta give some edge to the GFX100 (other than grip, EVF, and battery), otherwise I think it's pretty hard to justify the extra $4000 for the GFX100....maybe they'll drop the GFX100 price some after the GFX100S launch though.

cgastelum

Anyone attaching any of the Fuji GFX R's to the back of an ALPA12 body?
Been trying to find a solution to do this... I ended up switching to the Hasselblad 907x - 50cv II because of this, but I really liked the GFX controls and focal plane shutter. If you find a solution let me know.

tcdeveau

Been trying to find a solution to do this... I ended up switching to the Hasselblad 907x - 50cv II because of this, but I really liked the GFX controls and focal plane shutter. If you find a solution let me know.
If it's anything like the X1D, even if you find an adapter, infinity can't be reached on the SB17 lenses. I asked Alpa about it one time and they said the FPS of the GFX created challenges for an adapter.

Compared to the GFX and X1D, the CFVII is a better solution IMHO since you get full use of lenses.

iiiNelson

Actually looks great and is something I would’ve strongly considered when I settled on busing the Panasonic S1R a couple years ago. I liked the GFX 100 but didn’t love the body all the time so I passed on it. This looks like the camera I wanted then and the only “weak” spot is that it doesn’t use the newer EVF... and I guess that the sensor is hard capped at 30fps in 4K instead of 60. Even still the IQ is amazing.

Reactions: med