The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100S priced at $5999

gerald.d

That should shake things up a bit. Personally I was hoping for it to be in the $8k ballpark, but I reckon this is beyond anybody's wildest expectations.

The article linked to pitches it as an attack on high-res full frame cameras, but one can't help wondering what this is going to do to the Phase One market.

Hopefully there will be no negative surprises, and I can look forward to attaching one of these to the CAPcam later this quarter.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

buildbot

Wow, that's an incredible price. Fuji is really trying to make 44x33mm the new "full frame" it seems, I think that's a really smart play.
An attack on phase too, unless they decide to target the 6x7 market or something wild!

Edit: Phase does have the achromatic line, which personally is very unique and so far has yet to be matched really.

Paul Spinnler

Phase is making money with repro and air cameras and enthusiasts have become less important. You make more money selling a bench of repro stations to the vatican than selling XF stuff via resellers ... besides, P1 still has features Fuji doesnt have eg tech cam, etc

docholliday

Well, they'd never get me to buy one. I can't stand mirrorless platforms so it's H6D-100 or Phase IQ3100 for me (can't stand the Phase bodies). IQ4150 would be ok on a tech cam, once the back matures some and is reliable for production usage.

MartinN

Everything that makes used MFD more affordable is good for non professionals like me. Ultimately I would like to see some of the MFD camera makers starting to make independent MF digital backs to compete with Phase One. I need DB for Fuji GX680 and likewise some users need it for Contax. There were at least rumours for DBs in the beginning for Mamiya 645 Pro TL and Super. Dedicated backs for Mamiya RZ and RB would be nice too.

JeRuFo

I don't see how this should affect Phase One that much, the whole competition from the medium format sensors yes, but not this one in particular. The difference between 10k and 6k is not that big compared to a Phase body. Plus, the 50S was also around 6K when it came out, makes sense that they aim for that price to keep sales going, to justify the full lens line they have to keep selling bodies.

drevil

Staff member
Phase is making money with repro and air cameras and enthusiasts have become less important. You make more money selling a bench of repro stations to the vatican than selling XF stuff via resellers ... besides, P1 still has features Fuji doesnt have eg tech cam, etc
dont underestimate the amount of wealthy chinese, who buy only the best of the best with "i dont care how much it costs" in their mind
but the higher than expected amount of GFX100 cameras, is surely also related to the chinese market.

JeRuFo

Is there a 200 MP sensor already on the Sony Roadmap?

Not to my knowledge. That is still quite a bit a way probably and with the implementation by camera manufacturers on top of that should give Phase plenty of time and necessity to get it right with this generation.

Satrycon

so this will come in handy >

tcdeveau

I’m curious to see how Hasselblad will respond, if at all....will they announce a 100mp X camera in 2021? If so, at what price point?

The rumored price point of the GFX100S is attractive for sure though.

SrMphoto

Since the 50MP sensor in the X1D II and CFV II 50C are getting long in the tooth, I'm pretty sure Hasselblad will announce something new in 2021. My guess is that it will be a 100MP version of either or both X cameras. Will they use the same sensor that is now in the GFX 100? Or do they have access to the newer BSI 100MP sensor rumored to be in the GFX 100S? Will it have IBIS? Will it have the same form factor as the current X camera(s)?

Back to the subject of this thread, I'm encouraged by the Fuji rumor. With a worldwide pandemic still raging and the camera business in the doldrums, rumors and/or announcements of advancements in camera technology, coupled with aggressive pricing, give me hope that there's a heartbeat. And even though I shoot Nikon and Hasselblad gear, I'm cheering for Fuji. 👍

Joe
GFX100 already uses the latest BSI Sony sensor (same kind as the one in a7rIV and Phase One 150MP camera).
Sony may soon stop producing 50MP sensors, and the 100MP will be the only one available. If that happens, both Fuji and Hasselblad will need to switch to 100MP sensors for all their models.

JeRuFo

I think it is a little early to cheer about advancement being made despite the pandemic. These products must have been planned well before the pandemic hit. We'll have to see in a few years if the gap between releases has stayed the same for manufacturers. It will take a bit of flexibility and creative thinking to get a big company through all this in good shape. If you can do well despite this as a camera maker, then you are really quite something.

Paul2660

I believe it’s the same 100MP sensor that’s in the current GFX100. I have not seen anything announced from Sony where they have updated the sensor. I believe both the GFX100 and IQ4 are using the same silicon. Sony just cuts the different sizes from the larger platters. It would be surprising but positive for sure if the 100S has a totally new sensor.

Paul C

vjbelle

So happy that I didn't sell my Fuji lenses. The 50s is gone and although I tried and wanted to stay with a '100' I just couldn't get comfortable with the form factor. I knew that Fuji would shrink the size.... it was just a matter of time. I will be an early buyer with only one Wide lens needed. My adapters for my Actus will work with the new body and all of my LF lenses 72mm and longer will work just fine with the Fuji.

Very exciting times.......

Victor B.

Paratom

I hope that the price battle will not have a negative influence on innovations and quality of the cameras in the medium format market.
I dont understand why Fuji is selling their equipment for such (relativly) low price. I also believe Fuji has to be carefull about the haptics of their products.