The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji rendering?

AndyPtak

I've been tryng to decide whether to upgrade my ancient, but still quite good, Phase One kit or sell it off and go the Fuji route. While there's a fair bit of information available about the quality and sharpness of these systems I can't find decent information about the Fuji "look". Nobody has ever paid me extra for shooting more megapixels, but they do pay me to produce images rich in character, and that comes down to lenses and sensors and how they render. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

PabloR

if you comes from ccd you will find in this cmos sensors:

- Huge dynamic range. Big differnences, difficult to get contrasted images from direct shots, needs tons of curves and time to find your personal look. Strong point if need it and a warranty of exposure latitude.
- Different colors. Less natural, less deep, less Kodak, less everything, the worst point. If you shoot products, good luck ;)

Just try by your self. I move from CCDs to X1D. My advice is move as soon as possible, as soon you do you will adapt to the new styles, it maybe will take you years to adapt.

ciao

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
if you comes from ccd you will find in this cmos sensors:

- Huge dynamic range. Big differnences, difficult to get contrasted images from direct shots, needs tons of curves and time to find your personal look. Strong point if need it and a warranty of exposure latitude.
- Different colors. Less natural, less deep, less Kodak, less everything, the worst point. If you shoot products, good luck ;)

Just try by your self. I move from CCDs to X1D. My advice is move as soon as possible, as soon you do you will adapt to the new styles, it maybe will take you years to adapt.

ciao
Those who extol a large dynamic range often forget the flip side, which is that an image showing all that data will appear very low contrast. Sure, more clean data is better, but the RAW converter designers do us no favors by forgetting what a pleasing image looks like. I like my shadows dark, thank you very much!

Matt

rdeloe

This seems like a question that we can't answer for you. There are lots of RAW samples out there to explore. Would that not be a good starting point?

drevil

Staff member
I have been using the GFX50s and GFX100 for quite some time, with outstanding fuji glass and adapted canon and nikon lenses.

more than a year ago i bought an P65+ for my contax system, and what started more like a purchase out of nostalgia, became my #1 used system again.

i just love the simplicity the contax gives me, the digital back stays at iso 50 all the time anyway.
the only thing i miss is the dynamic range of modern sensors.

hcubell

I've been tryng to decide whether to upgrade my ancient, but still quite good, Phase One kit or sell it off and go the Fuji route. While there's a fair bit of information available about the quality and sharpness of these systems I can't find decent information about the Fuji "look". Nobody has ever paid me extra for shooting more megapixels, but they do pay me to produce images rich in character, and that comes down to lenses and sensors and how they render. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Far more than lenses and sensors (CCD v. CMOS), I think it comes down to the aesthetic sensibilities about color and tone possessed by the people at the camera manufacturers who design the dedicated software for processing the files. There is definitely a "look" to the Fuji files as compared to the Hasselblad files or the Phase files. You can do some research online to look at the work produced with these systems to get a feel for the differences. However, the best thing to do is to borrow or rent these systems, shoot images of the type you would make, and process the files.