The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm 8mm f3.5

biglouis

Anyone interested? I am quite tempted. I had the 8-16mm but as Andy Mumford maintains, an impractical lens to tote about (which is why I sold it). However, I miss the 12mm equivalent fov. I'm saving myself for the 150-600 but I may crack and get the 8mm instead.

Andy Mumford, XF 8mmf3.5 review.

LouisB

biglouis

The 10mm is a great lens as is the XF 10-14 which is my most used lens for architecture. But I do miss having something wider for tight interiors.

I might crack and get the 8mm - the reviews so far are that it is very sharp even into the corners - which the 8-16 most definitely wasn't wide open and needed considerable stopping down to achieve.

LouisB

Shashin

I have the XF14, which, for me, is really wide. An interesting lens to be sure.

And certainly wider than the 150-600. ;)

shumicse

I understand your dilemma. The 8-16mm is a great lens but very large and heavy. The 150-600mm is a much more practical lens but doesn't offer the same wide-angle field of view.

If you plan on doing a lot of landscape photography, the 8-16mm is a great option. It is perfect for capturing sweeping vistas and dramatic landscapes. However, if you plan on doing a lot of wildlife photography, the 150-600mm is a better choice. It is much longer, which allows you to get closer to your subjects.

Ultimately, the best lens for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are willing to sacrifice portability for image quality, the 8-16mm option is excellent. The 150-600mm is a better choice if you need a more portable lens.

biglouis

Ultimately, the best lens for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are willing to sacrifice portability for image quality, the 8-16mm option is excellent. The 150-600mm is a better choice if you need a more portable lens.
The dilemma is the budget. As a wildlife enthusiast the 150-600 is of course of interest to me but I have to say that I go hot and cold about it because the XF 100-400+TC1.4x which I already own is close to equivalent, although I have to stop down to at least f9 to get good centre sharpness when using the TC (like most wildlife photogs, I don't care about the corners because I mostly crop to the centre).

However, what people pay me for is architecture and objects. For objects, I am completely covered with the XF80f2.8. For interiors I use the XF10-24 which is a fantastic lens. I'm not sure I have used it much at anything other than 10mm. Now and then, though, it is not wide enough and then I have to take vertical panos and stitch. I know from owning the 8-16 that even that extra small difference can translate to a big difference on an interior.

I don't have the budget for both right now, hence my dilemma. Actually, I think I am going to save my dough and not buy either for the present! Maybe when the Western economies stabilise a bit next year my 'consumer confidence' will improve and I'll get both :);):cool::D

JaapD

That’s interesting. The Fuji 8-16mm has dimensions of 88 x 121.5 mm and weighs 805g while the 150-600 has dimensions of 99mm × 314.5 mm and weighs 1605g.

I know which one I’d like to carry around 😉

Apples and oranges of course so don’t take this too seriously…..

Cheers,

JaapD.

algrove

The dilemma is the budget. As a wildlife enthusiast the 150-600 is of course of interest to me but I have to say that I go hot and cold about it because the XF 100-400+TC1.4x which I already own is close to equivalent, although I have to stop down to at least f9 to get good centre sharpness when using the TC (like most wildlife photogs, I don't care about the corners because I mostly crop to the centre).

However, what people pay me for is architecture and objects. For objects, I am completely covered with the XF80f2.8. For interiors I use the XF10-24 which is a fantastic lens. I'm not sure I have used it much at anything other than 10mm. Now and then, though, it is not wide enough and then I have to take vertical panos and stitch. I know from owning the 8-16 that even that extra small difference can translate to a big difference on an interior.

I don't have the budget for both right now, hence my dilemma. Actually, I think I am going to save my dough and not buy either for the present! Maybe when the Western economies stabilise a bit next year my 'consumer confidence' will improve and I'll get both :);):cool::D
To me sounds like the 8mm will suit you better for the time being. Earn some money with it and then get the long lens if still wanted by then.

biglouis

To me sounds like the 8mm will suit you better for the time being. Earn some money with it and then get the long lens if still wanted by then.
Finally, this last week I cracked. I was trying to work on some photos for a book project, featuring some of the very large Edwardian buildings around SW1P in London. Gave up with the 10-24 and ordered and received the 8mm. Does the job. Hopefully, between this and another job I am doing I will at least get the money back on it. In my opinion the lens is good but not stellar unlike many Fuji lenses. Fortunately, no one looks that closely at the corners but it needs to be stopped down to f8 to get sharpness across the frame but then diffraction sets in at about f16 so there is very small window to work with.