The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujinon GX lenses on digital medium format

rdeloe

And for those who like the gory details of tearing lenses apart, someone asked me for a copy of the detailed pictures and notes I made, so I put them up here in a PDF. These are for the GX 65mm f/5.6, but Fuji was very smart about the design of these lenses. There are differences among the lenses in how they're put together, e.g., the short ones have a two piece housing, while the longer ones have a three piece housing that allowed for the flange to be extended forwards. However, once you get inside, it's all the same.

rdeloe

One more gory detail for the sake of completeness: the GX 65mm f/5.6 lens uses a 1mm thread pitch for the 95mm front filter, unlike the lenses that have an 82mm filter ring, which use the more common 0.75mm pitch. Ask me how I found this out. :(

rdeloe

I added one more GX lens to the lineup: the GX 125mm f/5.6.

The "kit" lens for this system was the GX 135/5.6, which has the same angle of view on 6x8 film as a 77mm lens on a 33mm x 44mm sensor if we're comparing the long edge. That means the GX 125mm f/5.6 has an angle of view on 6x8 film comparable to a 71mm lens on a 33mm x 44mm sensor (so still not quite a "normal" lens for the GX system).

I chose the 125mm because it falls better between my APO-CPN 90/4.5, and my Mamiya G 150mm f/4.5, and gives me two times normal. Also, I was taking a chance that it was a symmetrical design, which proved to be the case.

I haven't had the lens nearly long enough to offer anything conclusive in the way of a review. However, I had a chance today to put it through its paces and can already say it's a delightful lens that I'm glad I purchased. If you're looking for something in this focal length, it's worth considering if you can deal with the register distance.

I don't have a GFX 120mm lens to compare it to, but I have had three other 120mm lenses over the years in my quest for twice normal. I'm mildly obsessive about evaluating new lenses, and I keep all the results even if I don't keep the lens. Thus, I'm able to say how it does against three other really good 120mm lenses that I didn't keep for various reasons: SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm f/4 macro; Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 120mm f/5.6; and Schneider-Kreuznach Makro-Symmar HM 120mm f/5.9. All three were excellent lenses, but with some qualities that didn't make them keepers. So far the Fujinon GX 120mm f/5.6 is doing very well in comparison, even against the superlative (at its design distance of < 2m) Makro-Symmar 120/5.6. The best aperture of the GX 125/5.6 seems to be f/8, but wide open is completely usable, as is f/16.

The Fujinon GX 125/5.6 is nearly symmetrical; I calculated a flange distance of 127.5mm. This makes it ideal for axis tilt because the need for recomposition when tilting is minimum. In comparison, the strong retrofocus deisgn of the GX 65/5.6 and the telephoto design of the GX 210/5.6 and 250/5.6 lenses do not play well with tilt; it works, but if you've ever used a true telephoto lens on a large format view camera, you know what I mean. When using axis tilt with the GX 125/5.6, the image barely moves as you tilt.

Image quality is definitely a bit better at f/8, but f/16 brought the tops of the tools into focus (with the exception of the very tip of the spanner).

Fujinon GX 125mm f-5.6 - 125 mm 4.0 sec at f - 16 GFX 50R.jpg

Another nice feature of the GX 125/5.6 is it's extremely light. The two lens cells together weigh 180 gram. In comparison to its enormous sibling, the GX 65/5.6, the GX 125/5.6 is a feather weight. The GX 125/5.6 shares the 82mm front filter thread of many of the other GX lenses, but Fuji made this decision simply as a convenience for photographers, and not because of the size of the front element. The actual lens front element is recessed so far into the housing that the housing acts as a built-in lens hood.

Lens front.jpg

With its enormous 120mm circle of good definition, and an absence of noticeable light falloff until very large shifts, this is a lens where I'm going to be able to use movements without having to constantly watch out for the edge of the image circle.

I haven't noticed any serious optical flaws yet. Distortion is as close to zero as I've seen in a lens that weren't designed for repro. I tried to produce some chromatic aberration and haven't seen any yet, even wide open; it's premature to say it doesn't have any issues because I haven't used it enough yet, but given what I tried so far, the signs are good.

One thing I noticed today is that the lens has a very pleasing, gentle transition from in-focus to out-of-focus. Here's a scene from a walkabout with the lens today. Below this picture is a 100% enlargement to show how the lens handles the transition to out of focus.

GFX19116.jpg

The focus was on the snow on that angled tree trunk in front, and it's nice and sharp. I wanted the trees in the background to gradually blur; the lens delivered.

Transition.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with this especially considering how inexpensive it was. Once I build a housing for it, it's going to be a mainstay in my outfit.

Nokton48

Getting There Set of GX680 Lenses Seiko Shutters by Nokton48, on Flickr

Getting there with my set of Fuji GX680 lenses, with Seiko #2 Shutters added. Mounted on PLaubel Peco Junior boards and Minolta SRT cable releases, Yellow Filters on each, and Hoods too. From the left front, the 50mm F5.6, then the 65mm F5.6, then the 80mm F5.6. On the far right front, the 100mm F4. Back Row, from the left, the 125mm F3.2, then the 150mm F5.6. Next the 180mm F3.2, and on the far right, the 210mm F5.6 Also adding the 250mm F5.6, should be tommorrow, got another Seiko Shutter coming. The 50mm front view reminds me of the HAL9000 fisheye in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It looks about the same LOL. Testing phase is coming up. Will utilize them all depending on the situation. I doubt I'll take them out all at once, too much weight! But select two or three depending on what my intended use will be. In the studio I will have the luxury of selecting whichever meets the intended needs of the photograph. So very straightforward. And good to have a choice of focal lengths in the same modern glass

Last edited:

Nokton48

Fuji GX680 50mm f5.6 Seiko Shutter by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Plaubel Junior restored with New to me 50mm F5.6 Fuji GX680 lens, purchased broken, at a good discount, from Adorama in NYC. They also included the Gelatin Filter Holder/50mm Hood, it's worth some Dollars so a great deal. The view through the 50mm is AMAZING. Can't wait to shoot some test 6.5x9cm Makina Back Film. EVentually I will buy some type of Digital Medium Format Back. The Peco Junior has a Leica-like smoothness and feel. Plaubel advertised as "The Rolls Royce of Cameras" in the day. Works smoothly and tightly in a Leica-type of way. Also looked through my 4x5" Sinar Normas with this lens. It's amazingly sharp-looking and nice and contrasty view. This will get some use now, rather than becoming an interesting broken ornament. BTW I should mention that I bought the camera for 70 Bucks from Adorama. Another great price. And it included a lens board with a #0 hole. The 50mm f5.6 GX680 takes 105mm filters, so I am glad I have the 4x4" Gelatin Holder and Hood for the GX50, It just covers the outer cell diameter, barely. I have a complete set of Kodak Wratten Gelatin 4x4" B&W Filters, so I am set. The 65mm and 80mm share a hood that also takes 4x4 Gelatins.

rdeloe

Hi Nokton. That's a fine looking set of lenses you have there. It's great to see your set becoming complete.

Nokton48

Thanks Rob! Just yesterday I found another Seiko LS23 shutter. So Yep I'm getting there. Eventually I will buy a digital medium format back to dedicate to this setup.

rdeloe

An older digital medium format back might be well suited to these lenses. I only have four (65mm f/5.6, 125m f/5.6, 210mm f/5.6 and 250mm f/5.6). On a GFX 50R, I like the 125mm f/5.6. I think this is the same lens as the Fujinon-W 125mm f/5.6 in Copal shutter. It renders nicely and is sharp enough for that sensor. The image circle is large enough that the maximum shift I can do on my setup (around 28mm) is good all the way. The 210mm and 250mm are decent but not spectacular. The 65mm was a disappointment. It's OK -- but files needed a lot of work to build up contrast and edge detail. Its big plus is of course the huge image circle that allows some interesting applications. Unfortunately, I could only mount it on my Toyo VX23D, and that was the kludgiest mount I've ever done. It remains in the drawer these days.

So long story short, based on my experience, I'd say an older back will be a better match for these lenses than one with a modern high resolution sensor.

Nokton48

Maybe like a Phase One P25 or P25+? If I buy in V mount it will go on my Blads. A lot for the money? BTW I am a clueless digital neophyte

rdeloe

Maybe like a Phase One P25 or P25+? If I buy in V mount it will go on my Blads. A lot for the money? BTW I am a clueless digital neophyte
This is the place to ask for the best option on digital backs.

I'm definitely not the best person to ask; I think I exhausted my useful knowledge already. ;) I'd start a new thread and ask your question. I don't think there's a place on the Internet with more people who have the knowledge you need than this forum.

rdeloe

This is how I ended up mounting the GX 680 65mm f/5.6. All I can say is it worked... ;) I had to mount it like this to get the centre of gravity of the lens better positioned on my front standard. As you know it's not a light weight. Thankfully my Toyo VX23D makes it easy to put together odd mounting solutions like this.

R. de Loe DSCF8635.jpg

Nokton48

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the handheld camera I used to photograph the digital tree photo just posted here. Great for testing and checking lenses, Makiflex Automatic #1 has the Makiflex Auto Iris 150mm Schneider Symmar. I have only seen this lens offered in Europe after decades of looking around. Anyways cock the aperture and it stops down just before the focal plane shutter goes off. Hence "Automatic". Loving the digital back, cost no money and works a treat. Fits interchangeably with my mini-me Peco Junior view cameras. "Poor Man's Medium Format Digital with Moves".

Nokton48

Two more Seiko LS23 Shutters have just arrived from Japan, so these two Maki mounted lenses, the GX680 210mm F5.6, and the 180mm F5.6 GX680 are now finished and integrated into the Plaubel Peco Junior lens bank. These are not expensive lenses compared to the more exotic ones, and both are really excellent. I just shot a sweep table still life with the 180mm F5.6, shooting Ilford PanF+, Overhead Softbox Lighting with frontal foamcore panel fill. Very luscious looking on the 6x9 Ground glass. These are very good lenses I can tell. Well worth the money

Abstraction

I've come across a guy on flickr who mounted his GFX cameras directly to GX680 bellows. He seemed to be able to use that setup without doing much surgery:
Gx680 mod.small.jpgGx680 mod 3 small .jpg

rdeloe

Clever! Is that the same person? The second photo is using more of the GX680 than the first one. In the first image, it looks like the only thing left is the front standard and the bellows.

Abstraction

Yeah, it's the same person. I think he mounted the setup onto an arca swiss rail, whereas he's using the original rail on the second image

I can't figure out how he mounted the camera though

rdeloe

Yeah, it's the same person. I think he mounted the setup onto an arca swiss rail, whereas he's using the original rail on the second image

I can't figure out how he mounted the camera though
In the newer version, it looks like he used part of the rear standard and attached it to something that bolts to the rail.

The thing about this setup is he's getting some tilt and swing on the front, and maybe a bit of shift, but nothing close to what those lenses provide. Maybe for what he does that's all he needs.

MartinN

I prefer using the complete GX680 as a digital camera with all the functionality present, and the camera intact for the next user when I am leaving …