The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun w/Digital M Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayaker

12/06/2014 Morning Walk ~ Parsons Garden ~ Queen Anne Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 1600 ~ 1/60 ~ f4.8 ~ Neural Density filter 1.8 6 Stop

seakayaker

12/06/2014 Morning Walk ~ 8th Avenue West ~ Queen Anne Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 640 ~ 1/60 ~ f16 ~ Neural Density filter 1.8 6 Stop

seakayaker

12/06/2014 ~ Ferry Crossing and Ships at Moorings ~ Elliot Bay ~ Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 640 ~ 1/45 ~ f16 ~ Neural Density filter 1.8 6 Stop

seakayaker

12/06/2014 ~ Seattle Center and Downtown as Viewed from West Highland Drive ~ Queen Anne Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 640 ~ 1/90 ~ f16 ~ Neural Density filter 1.8 6 Stop

Mike Woods

Here's my silly activity for a rainy day, putting a Telyt 560mm on a Visoflex with the mirror locked up and prism removed, itself on a M to MFT adaptor and that on an OM-D. It worked! An 1120mm lens!

Chris
I'm glad I don't live next door :D

Mike

Mike Woods

Picked up a mint, used Noct 0.95 at a price that, if i don't get on with it, I can turn it around without losing too much money. Yesterday was my first outing with it, and thanks to alternating between OVF/EVF immediately noticed that my rangefinder must be slightly out. Anyone know whether Leica Mayfair London can handle adjustments, or does it have to go to Germany......:confused:

Anyway, a couple from yesterday:

Apart from the rangefinder disappointment, I came away with the impression that the lens has an ability to handle light like nothing else in my current arsenal.

Mike

woodyspedden

Here's my silly activity for a rainy day, putting a Telyt 560mm on a Visoflex with the mirror locked up and prism removed, itself on a M to MFT adaptor and that on an OM-D. It worked! An 1120mm lens!

Chris
Hey Chris

Show us some results. Love to see them

If I were going to be using this rig on a regular basis I would find a way to rig a tripod mount further up the barrel toward the end. There is so much weight hanging in front of the tripod foot now that I would be concerned that it might destroy the lens mount

chrism

Woody,
I feel some sympathy with Dr Johnson and talking dogs - it's not that it works well, but that it works at all! When I tried it out I forgot two important things; to turn off IBIS (which is supposed to make tripod shots more blurry if left on) and to use the self-timer to take the picture. So I expect I could get a sharper result if I try again. In the 4/3 camera forum I have placed a photo with the OM-D's kit lens set to the equivalent of a 50mm standard lens in full frame terms, and one with this monster just to illustrate the field of view. Both are taken through a rainy window. They are here. I'm in the city this week for chemo but by this time next week I might be able to try again and perhaps achieve something respectable (weather permitting as it is cold, wet and snowy in northern Nova Scotia!)

Chris

seakayaker

12/08/2014 ~ Early Morning View (7:13) of of Walkway between the East Hospital & Maleng Building as viewed from the 9th Floor of the Ninth & Jefferson Building, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 2000 ~ 1/25 ~ f2.4

seakayaker

12/08/2014 ~ Early Morning View (7:13) of of Walkway between the East Hospital & Maleng Building as viewed from the 9th Floor of the Ninth & Jefferson Building, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 2000 ~ 1/25 ~ f2.4

seakayaker

12/08/2014 ~ Early Morning View (7:12) of Downtown Seattle and Elliott Bay as viewed from the 9th Floor of the Ninth & Jefferson Building, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 2000 ~ 1/25 ~ f1.4

seakayaker

12/08/2014 ~ Early Morning View (7:21) of Downtown Seattle with Moon as viewed from the 9th Floor of the Ninth & Jefferson Building, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 1600 ~ 1/60 ~ f1.4

seakayaker

12/10/2014 ~ Washing Windows in the Rain ~ 9th Floor of the Ninth & Jefferson Building ~ First Hill Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 1600 ~ 1/125 ~ f11

seakayaker

12/11/2014 ~ Stockings Hanging from the Mantle ~ Living Room ~ Wallingford Neighborhood, Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 1600 ~ 1 Second ~ f13

wbhstl

Hey Chris

Show us some results. Love to see them

If I were going to be using this rig on a regular basis I would find a way to rig a tripod mount further up the barrel toward the end. There is so much weight hanging in front of the tripod foot now that I would be concerned that it might destroy the lens mount
Woody - This lens is in two pieces. The back piece which mounts to the camera and tripod and the front piece which holds two glass elements way up front - all the rest of the tube is air. Since the front piece attaches to the back piece, I don’t think there is much stress on the lens mount. The back piece is the same as used for the Telyt 400/6.8. The front piece trombones for focusing. This pretty much eliminates mounting the lens on a tripod other than by the back piece. However, I have seen support added from a band around the front piece back down to a leg of the tripod but focusing can’t be very quick. The lens came with a shoulder stock and was really designed for rifle style shooting. I usually try to rest the end on something like a bean bag. Doug Herr can give you a much better description and evaluation of this lens. He used it (or the 400) for many of his fantastic wildlife pictures.

Hopefully attached are a few shots taken on a NEX 5N. I would note 4 things: the lens gives surprisingly good detail, it has significant curvature of field - so not good for pictures of billboards, it is not APO, and as noted eliminating camera movement can be difficult. I included a sample from the 180/3.4 APO for comparison.

Bill

seakayaker

12/13/2014 ~ Fishing Vessels ~ North Lake Union ~ Wallingford Neighborhood ~ Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 1600 ~ 1/125 ~ f13

seakayaker

12/13/2014 ~ Waterfront Construction Crane ~ North Lake Union ~ Wallingford Neighborhood ~ Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 80 ~ 1/30 ~ f8

seakayaker

12/13/2014 ~ White Chairs in the Neigbhors Yard ~ Wallingford Neigborhood ~ Seattle, WA

Leica M9 ~ Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH ~ ISO 400 ~ 1/30 ~ f8

Status
Not open for further replies.