The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Elliot

"Progress"

These photos were from an Ottawa visit in June of 2014, and their posting was inspired by Jorgen's recent post in the Samyang 50 f/1.2 thread.

Olympus E-M1 and 12-40 f/2.8 lens
1/400 f/6.3 20mm 200 ISO
Canadian Modern - Reflection on an Old Subject.jpg

Olympus E-M1 and 12-40 f/2.8 lens
1/80 f/3.2 34mm 200 ISO
Canadian Modern Juxtaposed.jpg

Last edited:

routlaw

Had my doubts, but…

Had my doubts regarding the newer Olympus OMD-1 MKII but the proof is in the pudding. Like many of you I have read numerous reviews and comments by users on the power of the image stabilization of this camera. The claims seemed preposterous to say the least but having just recently purchased the camera I am now a believer. This image was shot using the Leica 8-18 lens @ F8 for 1.3 seconds, ISO 64 hand held no less. Including a near center detail crop as well.

Images were made at the Classical Gas Station Museum south of Taos, NM. Thanks for looking.

_3080097.jpg

and the detailed crop

_3080097 crop center.jpg

routlaw

One more from the same Gas Station Museum, this time with much faster shutter speeds 1/2 second :grin: hand held of course.

_3080107 ver 2.jpg

Antonio Correia

Re: Had my doubts, but…

... This image was shot using the Leica 8-18 lens @ F8 for 1.3 seconds, ISO 64 hand held no less. Including a near center detail crop as well.
Images were made at the Classical Gas Station Museum south of Taos, NM. Thanks for looking.
View attachment 133045
and the detailed crop
View attachment 133046
Thank you Rob for showing the capabilities of this camera. I do not have one... yet ! Just @ the 5 Mark II at the moment.
But next Saturday I hope to be able to put the hands on for a couple of hours, perhaps days.

The 1.st image looks indeed perfect for such a long exposure. But one must remember that you were shooting @ f/8 with 8mm ...

The second one looks a bit blurred or out of focus... I am not sure but it is not crystal clear. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for posting and commenting your experience.

Regards ! :)

routlaw

Re: Had my doubts, but…

Thank you Rob for showing the capabilities of this camera. I do not have one... yet ! Just @ the 5 Mark II at the moment.
But next Saturday I hope to be able to put the hands on for a couple of hours, perhaps days.

The 1.st image looks indeed perfect for such a long exposure. But one must remember that you were shooting @ f/8 with 8mm ...

The second one looks a bit blurred or out of focus... I am not sure but it is not crystal clear. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for posting and commenting your experience.

Regards ! :)
Antonio, yes its not tack sharp but remember it was a 1.3 second exposure hand held with no bracing, the previous other shot was roughly a half second exposure. Big difference. Honestly at the time I didn't think any of these images would hold up to scrutiny, let alone be usable. I am in the process of editing the rest of these images from inside the small museum, all with shorter SS's than 1.3 seconds and all of them are much sharper, more resolute than this particular one. Remember too this is a very small sensor and all else being equal, at least in theory, obtaining image quality and resolution that is on par with a full frame 35mm sensor is a tough uphill battle if not outright impossible. Even with these limitations I was quite impressed by the performance of this camera and lens combo.

BTW, on the first image posted, during processing I did apply a gaussian blur in a multiply blend mode with reduced opacity, while at the same time resizing that layer 101%. Its subtle but effective for nostalgic images, IMHO.

If interested I can post another similar image, with detail crop for your perusal.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Rob

routlaw

Antonia, the following are two more images from the same place with detailed crop below each.

4/10th of a second SS

_3080096.jpg

And the crop

_3080096 center crop.jpg

1/5th second exposure

_3080099.jpg

center crop

_3080099 center crop.jpg

mmTK

Borrowed my friend's GM1 today and took a few pictures around the neighborhood.
the camera is so tiny, fits my small hands well.

Attachments

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Suddenly, I see this face and think wow... and then she's gone, but not entirely.

GX8 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 35mm and f/2.8, cropped

This is really Tri-X territory. The next time I go to Saigon, I'll bring the OM-3 and the 85mm.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had dinner with millennials today, female millennials. They came one hour late, some smoke hookah, they eat vegetables and broadcast their meals. I had imagined the generation gap differently :wtf:

GX8 with Pana 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 35mm and f/3.5

AlanS

I had dinner with millennials today, female millennials. They came one hour late, some smoke hookah, they eat vegetables and broadcast their meals. I had imagined the generation gap differently

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Sorry Jorgen, couldn't resist that!

Knorp

MR JOE DOTSY ?

| Panasonic DC-G9 | MMF-3 | D Summilux 1:1.4/25 ASPH. |

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

4/3rds cameras / Image Thread

Antoni, the following are two more images from the same place with detailed crop below each. 4/10th of a second SS...
Thank you Rob for posting other images shot with the 1 MkII
They look indeed very good for such low speed shutter.
(I erased your photos from the quotation so the post wouldn't be too large)

You know... I wonder why this thread is "Fun with 4/3rds cameras / Image thread". Why Fun ? Isn't m43 serious ?
It looks like ! :)

Last edited: