The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Godfrey

I happened upon an advertisement for a Panasonic GX9 body only at a terrific price... Since I still have a moderately complete set of lenses for FourThirds/Micro-FourThirds cameras, and I have the adapters for Leica M, R, and Nikon F mounts to mFT as well, I decided to give it a shot.

It's a nice little body and works beautifully with the Olympus Body Cap 15mm and 9mm Fisheye lenses, never mind the other lenses I've got. (I notice that autofocus with adapted FourThirds SLR lenses isn't anywhere near as quick and accurate as the Olympus E-M1, however.) For cycling, the camera with these two tiny pancake lenses makes a very compact and light weight package.

Ghost - San Jose 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/800

Enjoy!
G

JNB54

Brownie Day:

The very first camera I was ever allowed to use was the family's Kodak Brownie, on a school outing. I'm not sure which Brownie model it was, but it likely had a simple meniscus lens, well-polished by my Dad's tie. I took pictures of anything and everything (all 12 of them). The pictures couldn't have been very good, because I wasn't allowed to use the camera again (processing was expensive). But I remember how excited and joyful I felt taking those pictures. Earlier this year (pandemically-bored) I decided to try recreating that feeling. I put my Olympus in square format, mounted a cheap Chinese lens that, while vastly superior to the meniscus, exhibits edge softness and aberrations aplenty, and walked around our small town to see what I could see.
_JBS0005-Edit.jpg
_JBS0012-Edit.jpg
_JBS0018-Edit.jpg
_JBS0049-Edit.jpg
_JBS0058-Edit.jpg

scho

Did some inventory (ie. closet cleanup) of old camera gear and pulled out my two remaining m43 cameras. The oldest was the Panasonic GF1 with the original 20/1.7 lens that I will try and resurrect if possible. I also found some raw image files from the GF1 that were shot in continuous burst mode. I reprocessed the six files through PhotoAcute 3 to generate a 47 MP high resolution file. Click image below for a half resolution image from the original 47 MP file.

scho

Well it took awhile for me to locate the battery charger for the GF1, but I finally did and was able to charge up the completely flat battery (after 4 years sleeping in my closet). Camera still works fine and that 20/1.7 still performs well. Another 6 shot burst processed in PhotoAcute 3. I'm even more amazed that the software still works on Catalina after 4 years w/o updating.

Did some inventory (ie. closet cleanup) of old camera gear and pulled out my two remaining m43 cameras. The oldest was the Panasonic GF1 with the original 20/1.7 lens that I will try and resurrect if possible. I also found some raw image files from the GF1 that were shot in continuous burst mode. I reprocessed the six files through PhotoAcute 3 to generate a 47 MP high resolution file. Click image below for a half resolution image from the original 47 MP file.

scho

Continuing with SuperResolution and PhotoAcute 3, only this time a 5 image burst from the GX9. Works, but really overkill for this camera compared to the GF1. Click for half resolution from the final 80 MP composite file. Market stalls at local waterfront farmers market.

JNB54

Shubenacadie Wildlife Park. Not my thing at all, but I coordinate field trips for our local photo club, and a number of members were hoping to go here. Covid restrictions meant a one-way route through the park, and some animals (wolves and coyotes) were off limits because the trails to their enclosures were too narrow to maintain social distancing (i.e. less than 2 lobster traps wide). The trip confirmed for me what an abysmal wildlife photographer I am – even when they're caged.
:o
Still, it turned out to be a lovely, warm autumn day.
_JBB0014.jpg
_JBB0027-Edit.jpg
_JBB0033-Edit.jpg
_JBB0039-Edit.jpg
_JBB0046-Edit.jpg