The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with HUGE images (any camera). WARNING:Very Large files posted here!

kevinparis

Re: Fun with HUGE MF images. WARNING:Very Large files posted here!

ketch

I was being a little provocative... but i call things as i see them .. not as the perceived wisdom says i should

i'll give you the stair case... i see the detail now i am on my desktop machine... but the first couple of shots posted here were as mundane and awful as any test shot I have ever seen.

I know MF can do better than this... but was shocked to discover that people who have invested 10's of thousand of dollars on their passion/profession would post pictures that were so bleh!!

Maybe someday i will graduate to MF... but for now the quality of the image means more to me than image quality

peace out

K

Professional

I think i don't want to do a test which is boring between 35mm digital and MF, some of members will come here and will say that he didn't see a big difference, so i just plan not to do and post whatever from MF and never look back, who likes it then fine, who doesn't like then either post something to show or go another thread.

Professional

OH i forgot to say that the first 2 shots are from film, so manual focus, no drum scanner or film scanner, and at the end i love the colors, some films can produce colors that i can't get with any digital anyway.

Professional

Nice shot Ed, i agree that if you reduce that haze or fog it will be terrific, but nonetheless, it is still terrific shot.

kevinparis

OK tareq.. if the first 2 are from film and they weren't scanned... how are they now digital?

I am not trying to start a war here... i am trying to understand what MF really brings to the table. so far not too impressed - yes i can see there is difference in image quality...but not seeing any pictures that wow me

K

gogopix

Subscriber

Due to some requests on the regular MF images thread, we have started a HUGE image thread. The express purpose is to create a space for folks to post, well, really large files. THis is to give folks on smaller screens and/or with limited bandwidth fair warning before they open the thread with overly large images.

The posting rules are simple, if you want to post an MF image here it has to be over 2000 pixels along one of its dimensions. For "regular" MF images, please post them in the existing "Fun with MF images" thread here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4730

So here you go, fire away!
Dear Jack

Not saying DO want to post big, but, IF I did, how? When I upload it gives a thumbnail
how are these put in the post full size?

Victor

Professional

OK tareq.. if the first 2 are from film and they weren't scanned... how are they now digital?

I am not trying to start a war here... i am trying to understand what MF really brings to the table. so far not too impressed - yes i can see there is difference in image quality...but not seeing any pictures that wow me

K
they are scanned, but not with a drum scanner or dedicated film scanner, so the quality is not on par anyway, and is it only image resolution you are after? I think my MF cameras beating all my 35mm digital cameras in terms of DR, details, colors, sharpness is one issue but not always the thing i judge between two different levels anyway.

And what kind of pictures that WOWing you?

Professional

My daughter

One of the Par..ts we have at home[not sure if it is alive yet].

Both shots from my old H3DII-39 which i traded-in but same 80mm.

Professional

"ONCE UPON TIME IN LA"

"ONCE UPON TIME IN NY"

Both shots from my H3DII, first with 80mm second with 28mm, both iso100

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Ed, that's a great shot BECAUSE of the mistiness. Don't ruin it with a polarizer!
Bill

Mike M

Right on ;) This is what a MF thread is supposed to look like.

etrigan63

At least your daughter poses for you. Mine goes running for the hills screaming whenever I point a lens in her direction!

Professional

At least your daughter poses for you. Mine goes running for the hills screaming whenever I point a lens in her direction!
My key secret is, keep doing that for them even they don't want, slowly tell them you will give them something, a gift or taking them out to a fun city or so if they pose for you few times, day by day they will get used to pose for you naturally, i had same problem as you, even my daughter many times saying: "No, i don't want" and start crying. ;)

Good luck!

etrigan63

I can play too.

Test shot from a Leica S2

70 mm Leica S2 Lens
f/4
1/180s
handheld
Processed in LR3b2

etrump

Looks a little soft. Could be the hand-holding or maybe needs to stop down for enough DOF.

etrump

Beautiful shot Ed, but I guess you are not a friend of Polarizers or UV Haze filters ;)

What did you shoot this with?
Shot it with Cambo RS, 35mm Digitar, P65+ and it probably was polarized to keep the fog from reflecting on the leaves too much.

It was raining HARD and fog was rolling through the valley. I have some without polarizer but I liked the backlit leaves in the foreground which is what I think makes it special.

I appreciate the feedback.