The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Light L16

Godfrey

I believe the Light L16 and Lumen software is still available on line. The camera firmware/software update is/was always a live download update (remember that the Light L16 is essentially a camera build on an Android operating system). Do a Google search for "Light L16 Support" and you'll get a number of hits from which to obtain all that's available for it, including user manuals, how to update, etc etc etc.

A couple of things you want to do:
  • configure it to NOT require a password to operate (it's a camera, not a cell phone :) )
  • update the software to the very last release level (I have LightOS 1.3.4.1-111 running on mine). this allows you to install Android OS versions of Flickr and Snapseed.
  • download and install an APK installer
  • download and install the Flickr and Snapseed apps
The Lumen software, if you're running macOS systems, runs best on an older OS version pre macOS 10.15 "Catalina". I have an older Mac mini configured with macOS 10.14 "Mojave" and set up with virtually nothing other than the standard Apple system install and Lumen specifically to import and edit L16 exposures and then render them out to full resolution JPEG and DNG forms.

With Flickr and Snapseed apps installed on camera, you can render excellent 12 Mpixel JPEGs and put them up on Flickr for display and storage with just what's in the camera. Using Lumen is the only way to get the full 50+ Mpixel resolution out of the native L16 files.

Have fun. It's a remarkable camera, and terribly sad that they chose to change their business and not pursue continuing with the production and development of the camera.

G

thesteeler

And here are some of the others ones I liked from that walk and test shoot, all in an "abstract, still life" theme.

Almost Planar #1 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #2 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #3 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #4 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #5 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #6 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #7 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #8 - Santa Clara 2021

Almost Planar #9 - Santa Clara 2021

All with the Light L16, various settings.

enjoy!

G

No matter where you go, there you are.
"Almost Planar #4" is beautiful !

thesteeler

Happy to have found this forum. You are my people who believed in L16 and stuck around (not that we had much of a choice) using that camera. My hardware is completely Apple Mac OS and I had no choice but to keep upgrading my MacOS for my day job. I am far away from Mac OS Catalina that Lumen works without issues. To start reusing the L16, I was thinking of buying a cheapo Windows laptop but most of them are Windows 11 theses days. Does anyone here know if Lumen works on Windows 11 ?
TIA!

handymike

I'm in a similar situation.
I just bought an unopened L16 off ebay. It came with OS 1306 and I can't seem to find any available way to update it to the last version. I have 30 days to return it, but I'd rather get it running. I understand there is a Facebook group, but I really don't want to join FB just for this (I've avoided them so far). Also, if anyone has the Lightroom/ Photoshop presets on their computer, could you share them?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Godfrey

Hmm. I still have and use my Light L16, BUT ...

- I keep an older Mac mini outfitted with the last version of Lumen available to process the files and generate DNGs with.

- My camera was updated to the final L16 firmware/software around about 2017; as of 2020, the server that was used to maintain the updates went away.

I have both the Windows and Mac OS last release installation files for Lumen.app and would be happy to send them to whomever needed them (just send me a msg off-line). I downloaded them circa 2020, but I don't think it was updated much past 2017. The camera firmware, however, is more difficult since the camera is an Android device and connected to the network on its own to install updates. You might try contacting the folks at Light.co to see if there's an archive server somewhere that you can point the camera to in order to obtain the last version firmware/OS for it.

I've attached pictures of the top level info screens from the camera.

G

Attachments

handymike

I have tried to contact them. I called the offices, and emailed the CEO/ founder, but I haven't heard anything yet.
I would really appreciate any files you can offer.
Yours looks be be fully updated.
Do you have the presets for Lightroom too? How can I contact you? I'm new here, and it's not letting me DM you yet.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Godfrey

I have tried to contact them. I called the offices, and emailed the CEO/ founder, but I haven't heard anything yet.
I would really appreciate any files you can offer.
Yours looks be be fully updated.
Do you have the presets for Lightroom too? How can I contact you? I'm new here, and it's not letting me DM you yet.
Thanks so much!
Yes, the L16 has been discontinued and support ended for a long time now. It's unfortunate, but that's where it's at. Keep plugging at it, do searches for Light L16 information ... maybe the firmware files will appear from somewhere.

There were never any Lightroom presets that I'm aware of. The Light L16 native files have to be processed in Lumen to be properly integrated at maximum resolution. I sometimes do some small adjustments using the special features of Lumen as well. Then I output all the .lri files to DNG format, and import those into Lightroom for finish rendering.

I'll send you a PM and we'll figure out how best to get what I have in Light sw to you.

G

handymike

After weeks of emails and calls (left many messages) to Light Labs, I decided to throw in the towel.
I returned my L16 yesterday.
Really too bad that the maker didn't even do the very minimum to help their existing and 2nd market customers.
Thumbs down!!!!!!

Godfrey

Sad but probably the right thing to do.

I continue on with mine, occasionally, because I've got a good setup to use it with that works. But it's sadly way past its due date and will ultimately become a shelf queen when the battery no longer holds enough of a charge to be practical in use. I've had it since they first shipped and used it quite a lot so I think I got my money's worth out of it. Last I used it much was in 2020-2021...

Leaf - Santa Clara 2020
Light L16 - Processed internally, direct upload to Flickr.com

Enjoy!
G

handymike

Today on another forum a member couldn’t find the link to download Lumen for PC. I went looking, and now they’ve even pulled that down from the support site. These guys really don’t care about their customers past or present.

On a much happier note, I tested my Zeiss Batis 40mm against a $20,000 Zeiss Supreme Prime 40mm cinema lens today, and it held its own! Surprising.

Has anyone used the Lytro Illium? Any better luck? They seem to have the software archived:

Last edited:

JoelM

Sad but probably the right thing to do.

I continue on with mine, occasionally, because I've got a good setup to use it with that works. But it's sadly way past its due date and will ultimately become a shelf queen when the battery no longer holds enough of a charge to be practical in use. I've had it since they first shipped and used it quite a lot so I think I got my money's worth out of it. Last I used it much was in 2020-2021...

Leaf - Santa Clara 2020
Light L16 - Processed internally, direct upload to Flickr.com

Enjoy!
G
There are some companies that can disassemble a battery pack and rebuild it.
Joel

Godfrey

There are some companies that can disassemble a battery pack and rebuild it.
Very true, but the Light L16 does not have a user-removable battery pack... which means that if I wanted to do that, I'd have to figure out how to take the camera apart cleanly AND put it back together. While certainly doable, it's not something I'm liable to do ... sort of like servicing an iPhone or iPad, I'd rather let someone with the skills, knowledge, and tools do that stuff.

I'd rather be a photographer than a microelectronics repair technician, and I certainly have enough fine cameras that the loss of the L16 shouldn't make a huge difference. :)

G

JoelM

Ah, I didn't know that it was built-in. That's a shame. Perhaps as a last resort, you can use an external battery and power it through the charging port.

Glad you got your value from it in any case. It was a novel idea that just didn't catch on well enough to offer the support and longevity needed.
Joel

fishark

Hmm. I still have and use my Light L16, BUT ...

- I keep an older Mac mini outfitted with the last version of Lumen available to process the files and generate DNGs with.

- My camera was updated to the final L16 firmware/software around about 2017; as of 2020, the server that was used to maintain the updates went away.

I have both the Windows and Mac OS last release installation files for Lumen.app and would be happy to send them to whomever needed them (just send me a msg off-line). I downloaded them circa 2020, but I don't think it was updated much past 2017. The camera firmware, however, is more difficult since the camera is an Android device and connected to the network on its own to install updates. You might try contacting the folks at Light.co to see if there's an archive server somewhere that you can point the camera to in order to obtain the last version firmware/OS for it.

I've attached pictures of the top level info screens from the camera.

G
I wonder if you have the lasted firmware and if I can update myself without using the OTA method.
Light server is down and there's no way to update....
I am currently stuck at version 1.3.2.5
Any help will greatly appreciate it.

Godfrey

The problem is that the firmware updates for the L16 were hosted by and installed directly from the light.co server, if I recall correctly.I don't recall Light.co supplying the firmware as a downloadable file that I could store on my desktop system; if they did, I'd have it.

I do have the last version of Lumen, installable on either macOS or Windows.
  • for macOS: Lumen-2.3.0.606.dmg
  • for Windows: LumenSetup-2.3.0.579.exe
But that's not going to do you any good unless you have the final version of the L16 firmware on your camera. I think it's essential if you do.

G

Godfrey

I noticed that the Light L16 is listed for sale on Amazon for the bargain price of $299, and in the comments it seems to have the latest software pre-installed. That might be an option for some.​

Meanwhile, I'm traveling at present with mine. Latest fw, and I have SnapSeed and Flickr apps installed too.

Arch and Tourists - Washington Square Park, NY 2022
processed in-camera​

enjoy! G