The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Godfrey

This is what happens when the dark slide seal on a Hasselblad A16 film magazine tears itself to shreds when you pull out the dark slide:

Happily, it was really just a test roll to verify that the back was in good condition so there's nothing significantly lost there. But I think it's the first time, in all the years I've had Hasselblad V system equipment, that I've had a dark slide light seal self-destruct so badly. 😱

It'll be good as new when David Odess finishes with it, I'm sure.

G

docholliday

This is what happens when the dark slide seal on a Hasselblad A16 film magazine tears itself to shreds when you pull out the dark slide:

Happily, it was really just a test roll to verify that the back was in good condition so there's nothing significantly lost there. But I think it's the first time, in all the years I've had Hasselblad V system equipment, that I've had a dark slide light seal self-destruct so badly. 😱

It'll be good as new when David Odess finishes with it, I'm sure.

G
When I had my 503/203/205, I kept a bag of seals in my lab and changed out a seal any time I felt grittiness or any non-smooth removal. I also put new seals in once a year in all my heavily used backs as the foam would get weak and could leak slightly. It was easy and also allowed me to clean the back and lube the gears. Just a few screws, pop the back plate, clean/lube, add new seal, and button it all back up.

I also had a half dozen new slides sitting around so that any time a slide was creased or roughened, I'd put a new one in. I had the Lindahl slide holders on all the older back, but the new gen backs with the slide holder built-in pretty much stopped all the damaged slides from occuring and I didn't throw out as many slides when I switched my backs to the new stuff.

KeithDM

Well, it is now just over a year since I put a roll through my H503CX - which coincidentally (!) is when my M10M arrived...

Anyway, looking through the negs from then, I just processed these two - the Red Lion and inside the National Trust's tithe barn at Lacock, Wilts. 80mm Planar, Tri-X. Hmm, time to dust-off the 503CX and venture forth with it!
RedLionLacock.jpgLacockTitheBarnDoor.jpg

Godfrey

When I had my 503/203/205, I kept a bag of seals in my lab and changed out a seal any time I felt grittiness or any non-smooth removal. I also put new seals in once a year in all my heavily used backs as the foam would get weak and could leak slightly. It was easy and also allowed me to clean the back and lube the gears. Just a few screws, pop the back plate, clean/lube, add new seal, and button it all back up.

I also had a half dozen new slides sitting around so that any time a slide was creased or roughened, I'd put a new one in. I had the Lindahl slide holders on all the older back, but the new gen backs with the slide holder built-in pretty much stopped all the damaged slides from occuring and I didn't throw out as many slides when I switched my backs to the new stuff.
I have to admit to being much more "fast and loose" with my gear ... I rarely have or carry much backup stuff like that. Most of my gear just works and continues to work, and I do take pains to keep the dark slides from being damaged. Different experience, different needs ... etc. :)

So I went on to scan the ruined film regardless and found four exposures that I rendered. I kinda like the feel of them, happy accidents, although obviously they're simply ruined exposures...

Parking - Santa Clara 2021

House - Santa Clara 2021

Tree - Santa Clara 2021

Valve - Santa Clara 2021

All:
Hasselblad 500CM, A16, Makro-Planar 120mm f/4, Ilford XP2 Super

I like the feel of the 645 format in horizontal only orientation too, more than I expected. It lends a certain "cinematic" feel to the framing notions. :)

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Well, it is now just over a year since I put a roll through my H503CX - which coincidentally (!) is when my M10M arrived...

Anyway, looking through the negs from then, I just processed these two - the Red Lion and inside the National Trust's tithe barn at Lacock, Wilts. 80mm Planar, Tri-X. Hmm, time to dust-off the 503CX and venture forth with it!
... View attachment 182083
Please do! This barn door is quite special! :)

G

Godfrey

I had my Voigtländer Perkeo II out yesterday, when I bicycle to a neighboring town for breakfast with some friends. It is such a compact and light camera ... Hardly noticed it in my bag at all!

I didn't bother to look at a meter reading: for ACROS 100, I just set f/11 @ 1/100 second since all the photos were outdoors on a nice sunny morning. Getting the focus correct for the first couple of frames was tricky—one forgets how little DoF you have available with a 6x6 camera at close range—but I got it sorted correctly for most of the photos.

Linda - Mountain View 2021
Voigtländer Perkeo II, ACROS 100, f/11 @ 1/100

The Perkeo II remains a wonderful performer. :)

G

dave.gt

I had my Voigtländer Perkeo II out yesterday, when I bicycle to a neighboring town for breakfast with some friends. It is such a compact and light camera ... Hardly noticed it in my bag at all!

I didn't bother to look at a meter reading: for ACROS 100, I just set f/11 @ 1/100 second since all the photos were outdoors on a nice sunny morning. Getting the focus correct for the first couple of frames was tricky—one forgets how little DoF you have available with a 6x6 camera at close range—but I got it sorted correctly for most of the photos.

Linda - Mountain View 2021
Voigtländer Perkeo II, ACROS 100, f/11 @ 1/100

The Perkeo II remains a wonderful performer. :)

G
I love Acros. Now I love that Perkeo II as well!
Thanks, Godfrey!:)

med

I didn't bother to look at a meter reading: for ACROS 100, I just set f/11 @ 1/100 second since all the photos were outdoors on a nice sunny morning.

I love Acros. Now I love that Perkeo II as well!
Thanks, Godfrey!:)
Nice image, thanks for sharing! Just out of curiosity, was it the "old" Acros, or the new Across II?

If the former, do either of you, or anyone, have any experience with the new Acros II? I sadly didn't get much exposure (hah) to Acros before it was discontinued, and haven't tried Acros II yet, but I would love to hear from those who knew Acros well how the new stuff compares.

I am on a self-imposed film-purchasing ban until I clear out most of what is in my freezer, but I am chomping at the bit to buy more Acros for some reason!

Last edited:

Godfrey

Nice image, thanks for sharing! Just out of curiosity, was it the "old" Acros, or the new Across II?

If the former, do either of you, or anyone, have any experience with the new Acros II? I sadly didn't get much exposure (hah) to Acros before it was discontinued, and haven't tried Acros II yet, but I would love to hear from those who knew Acros well how the new stuff compares.

I am on a self-imposed film-purchasing ban until I clear out most of what is in my freezer, but I am chomping at the bit to buy more Acros for some reason!
I have no idea really... Oh wait a minute! Ah, checked the box (two rolls left) and it has a 2014 expiration date on it. I guess this must have been the older stuff. :)

Frankly, I find the subtle differences between various film types and versions doesn't matter as much as it once did, to me anyway. I know if I need to be ultra-picky about some aspect of my imaging needs that I should just switch to a digital camera where I have far, far more specific control of the medium and the resulting image. A good bit of my enjoyment of film is specifically for its inconsistency, defects, and rendering oddities. I've come to ignore manufacturer data sheets, the fine control of chemistry, and the subtle differences that develop in processing: I shoot at what I think is about the right ISO setting and process everything the same way (with only one exception) ... Then I hunt through my exposures with an eye to "what was I thinking of when I made the shot and which of these did the film/camera/processing conspire to give me something that either matches or that I like anyway..." :)

The other part of this new-me-photographer is that "I just don't care any more whether some specific exposure is going to work." I've come to the realization that there are an infinite number of photo opportunities out there, many of which I'll have the opportunity to try over and over again while most of which I'll never get the time or moment to attempt in the first place, and any specific attempt at some point in time is just another attempt that might or might not make it. I don't mean to say that I've dropped into being a haphazard photographer, only that I no longer presume that because I put the time in to see, focus, set exposure as properly as I can, etc ... that because of all that, I expect to be rewarded with a perfect photograph. It's no longer important to me... I enjoy doing the whole gambit, putting my all into it, whether it succeeds or not.

Obviously, I'm no longer shooting on assignment for people who DO care, or attempting to make a living from it. A different mindset... :D

G

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Some Images from Death Valley Natl. Park (Badwater Basin, The 'Racetrack,' & Zabriskie Point) as well as Desert Natl. Wildlife Refuge. Shot Jan 2020 on Provia 400x gifted to me by Bill Caulfeild-Browne with my Yashikamat 124g. Thanks BILL!

View attachment 182019 View attachment 182020
View attachment 182021 View attachment 182024 View attachment 182022 View attachment 182023
Delighted to see it put to good use - and pleased it seems to have survived long-term storage in our fridge!.

Reactions: med

diggles

Trees by Dream Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, September of 1998
Pentax 645, 75mm ??, Fuji Velvia

1998-09-SEPT-27-RMNP-Dream-Lake-Fuji-645-f04.jpg

I'm guessing this was a 75mm lens because I think I only had one lens at the time and I believe it is the standard one that came with the camera. Back then I never paid attention to those kind of details! :D

KeithDM

For the first time in almost a year, I put a roll through my H503CX yesterday afternoon. Dev'd & scanned this afternoon.
Looking along the canal.
PS - the vertical lines above the left-side of the bridge are scaffolding poles from yet another housing development.
LookAlongCanal.jpg

H503CX, 80mm Planar, medium yellow filter, FP4+, Ilfosol 3.