The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

jng

Just pulled the negs to have a look-see. On the light table under a 15X loop, no halos are seen, Suggesting the problem is likely with the scanner. I have noticed a light fog building up under the glass of my Epson V750. A common problem with these scanners as the plastics gas-off, that demands an annual cleaning.

I'll do some scanner maintenance and re-scan. Give me a couple of days to report back.
I wonder whether the halos are due to over-sharpening during the scan itself - was sharpening enabled on the scanner? If so, you might try switching it off although cleaning the plate seems like a good idea regardless.

John

Trogster

I wonder whether the halos are due to over-sharpening during the scan itself - was sharpening enabled on the scanner? If so, you might try switching it off although cleaning the plate seems like a good idea regardless.

John

I don't use any sharpening options during scanning, but I do perform multiple exposures.

pegelli

Just pulled the negs to have a look-see. On the light table under a 15X loop, no halos are seen, Suggesting the problem is likely with the scanner. I have noticed a light fog building up under the glass of my Epson V750. A common problem with these scanners as the plastics gas-off, that demands an annual cleaning.

I'll do some scanner maintenance and re-scan. Give me a couple of days to report back.
Thanks, that could indeed make sense, I have a V700 also with a slightly fogged glass that I've intended to clean for some time but so far have been unsuccessful. I found this exploded view of the scanner: V700/V750 diagrams. Do you have any tips how to remove the plastic caps (part # 165) so you can reach the screw to take the cover off and be able to clean the underside of the glass (where the fogging sits)? I've been trying different methods but can't get them out.

Mods, if you want to move this discussion elsewhere since it's more about scanning hardware than MF film images feel free to do so, but pls. leave a little note where you moved it to if you do.

Trogster

Do you see the same halos in the large file before downsizing?

We have a BINGO! No Halo in RAW scanned file.

Cropped the tugboat area and converted to jpg.....no halo.

I must be doing something wrong when I'm prepared the original 400MB file for uploading?

No-Halo.jpg

Trogster

Thanks, that could indeed make sense, I have a V700 also with a slightly fogged glass that I've intended to clean for some time but so far have been unsuccessful. I found this exploded view of the scanner: V700/V750 diagrams. Do you have any tips how to remove the plastic caps (part # 165) so you can reach the screw to take the cover off and be able to clean the underside of the glass (where the fogging sits)? I've been trying different methods but can't get them out.

Mods, if you want to move this discussion elsewhere since it's more about scanning hardware than MF film images feel free to do so, but pls. leave a little note where you moved it to if you do.

The last time I cleaned the fogged glass I used a red-hot pin to extract the plastic caps. Take a sewing pin (or similar metal pin) and heat it up. Be sure to use pliers.

It will leave you with a hole in the cap you can use to extract the cap again in the future. Yes, mildly destructive, but no harm to performance.

dave.gt

Mamiya 6 + 50/4 + Rodinal
[ long exposure ]​
Oh, yeah, Darr that is a wonderful image!!!:):):)

Ok, now you convinced me to try Rodinal. Time to read up on it. Thanks for sharing as you so generously do all the time!

gme2815

A bit of a cliched location, but I had decided to shoot film for the first time in 15 years, and it was raining, which is rare in Southern California, so ran out to Mojave to shoot this shot. I tried waiting for the cars to clear frame, but they just kept coming one after another. In my former profession, Location Manager for TV Commercials, I would have just paid the guy off and got him to move his car, but that was then and this was now.

20211121-raw0015-2.jpg

Mamiya 7ii, Portra 400, 80mm, Nikon Coolscan 9000, and Negative Lab Pro.

A bit of a cliched location, but I had decided to shoot film for the first time in 15 years, and it was raining, which is rare in Southern California, so ran out to Mojave to shoot this shot. I tried waiting for the cars to clear frame, but they just kept coming one after another. In my former profession, Location Manager for TV Commercials, I would have just paid the guy off and got him to move his car, but that was then and this was now.

View attachment 189771

Mamiya 7ii, Portra 400, 80mm, Nikon Coolscan 9000, and Negative Lab Pro.
Cliche or not, great capture. I think the car makes the shot. I would have paid the owner to sit behind the wheel with the window rolled down, arm hanging out and smoking a cigarette. But that's just me :)

JoelM

Mamiya 6 + G 150/4.5 + Rodinal
[ scene from my local library ]​
I have a Mamiya 6 kit as well and can attest to the beautiful rendering and sharpness of the 150mm lens. It is the unsung hero of the Mamiya 6 kit.
It is a wonderful landscape lens as evidenced by Darr's lovely image.

Joel

darr

Cambo Wide 650 + Linhof TR 6x12 Magazine + Acros II (Rodinal)
--

Here is what it looks like 7-10 days after the previous photo was made in the same area. Different lens (65mm on 6x12 format) and the trees had changed colors and shed some leaves. This is the pond at my local library where a lovely walking trail frames the pond.